Are my Liesure Batteries knackered? (1 Viewer)

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I have 2011 Autotrail Arapaho. factory fitted solar panel (80w I think). Mostly camped on hook up to date but this weekend we went to a rally with no hook up. Within 24 hours started getting worried about the LBs as volts dropping, and we hardly used any lecci. Fridge & water heater on gas (but I did leave them on continuously), a few 12v lights for short while. Saturday was reasonably good day, quite a bit of sun but not great. Control panel told me solar panel was generating 0.3 to 0.7 A and the LB capacity was 95% AH. Battery was 12.7 v but within short while was dropping to 10.4v. I had to run the engine for 30 mins and went to bed. In the morning the heater had switched itself off as volts had dropped below 10.5v and the weekend continued this way. Charged Lb by running engine but they wouldn't hold for more than 6 hours or so. Not impressed by what I get from Solar panel but I don't feel batteries are holding the charge. So do I need to ditch them and replace?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes by the sound of what youre saying, you need a new battery/ies. also try cleaning the solar panel

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Experts will be along shortly, 10.5 volts on more than one occasion would generally indicate your leisure battery is knackered!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have 2011 Autotrail Arapaho. factory fitted solar panel (80w I think). Mostly camped on hook up to date but this weekend we went to a rally with no hook up. Within 24 hours started getting worried about the LBs as volts dropping, and we hardly used any lecci. Fridge & water heater on gas (but I did leave them on continuously), a few 12v lights for short while. Saturday was reasonably good day, quite a bit of sun but not great. Control panel told me solar panel was generating 0.3 to 0.7 A and the LB capacity was 95% AH. Battery was 12.7 v but within short while was dropping to 10.4v. I had to run the engine for 30 mins and went to bed. In the morning the heater had switched itself off as volts had dropped below 10.5v and the weekend continued this way. Charged Lb by running engine but they wouldn't hold for more than 6 hours or so. Not impressed by what I get from Solar panel but I don't feel batteries are holding the charge. So do I need to ditch them and replace?
Dead as dead can be, time to change them

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
speaking from my own experience, we bought a new to us three year old MH, 12V all seemed to have failed, our MH is fitted with 2 x gel batteries, they cost £300 each to replace, but I decided to buy 2 to be safe.

One was totally gone the other is still giving very good service to the friend who took them both away for me :)

In my case one battery had dragged them both down to unusable levels, depends on your budget, change both for peace of mind, or disconnect them both and see whether it is just one that has failed (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Dead as a dead thing in a place where dead things are collected together for Burying. I have four solar panels on the new van and it is blowing my mind how much charge they put back in the Les Batts but I have to say on my last van a half decent day would charge more than 0.3 - 0.7 so have to agree with the others, try cleaning your solar panel.

Best of luck......Griff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back