Garmin Nuvi's bum is oot the windae (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've bought a Chinese one. First one was faulty but an exchange, with no problem, has got us a good one. Just tried it briefly and impressed once I worked out how to use it. Our Garmin has too few options to select the kind of route so even when going to a GPS position 20 miles away it suddenly diverts from the obvious route and attempts to save 50 yards down an unsuitable one. I think the mistake was buying the most basic model. So many people have said use your common sense but if you want a specific point in a place you don't know, especially abroad where asking for help is difficult, then common sense doesn't really help. We can use maps for the long part of the trip but finding an Aire or camp site tucked away somewhere can be more difficult.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
(y) Definitely a thumbs up for the Chinese sat navs. (I do also have the Tomtom as backup. The Tomtom does have the tendency to send me down shortcuts though).
If you have TomTom set to 'shortest' rather than 'fastest' route it certainly will. It once sent me through a housing estate (complete with sleeping policemen) to save 200 yards approaching a T junction.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have it set to fastest and I've turned IQ routes off but it still insists on sending me on these deviations. I prefer the Chinese one for the van but the Tomtom is still good for the car.

Thanks for the suggestion though.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
just put in your own route by adding waypoints:censored:..then you go your way not its way:)
Have tried my best and even tried using base camp, but seriously how can Garmin even think that piece of 1980's style junk cuts it today? Base camp is not in any way user friendly or intuitive at least thats how I found it.

Slightly happier with the nuvi itself as I have put in some poi's but its still pants!!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have just arrived at Neufchatel en Bray having travelled from Scotland. Chinese Sat Nav was fantastic! No problems at all.

Blo*** He**, Mags! Pity you were heading for Newcastle though?:giggle::p

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I have had Tom Tom camper 2 years now very good so far, been to France and Spain traffic is also very good on it. Bit expensive though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Mags 52K I feel your pain. Too much hassle for an easy question! I don'thave the iipad thingy but as a newbie have bought one of the cheap Chinese jobbies. It is ok so far for me apart from a silly mistake I made when updating so I have lost some warnings for low bridges but that's another story! There are people trying to help me sort that out! It recalculates quickly and seems decent for the small aamount it costs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back