Towed cars........whats best (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have just sorted ourselves out with a Fiat Panda and trailer as we go down to Spain over winter and a car is really useful as we tend to stay in one place for considerable time and with our two dogs we can get out and about.

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We tow a smart on a trailer suits us as some places we visit the van is impractical due to size.
The main difference between a caravan and car /motorhome and car we can go without the car if we don't feel the need where as a caravan goes no where without the car... Pays your money and takes your choice ?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
A lot depends on size, here...........25ft and town parking don't go. :) (not to mention disability precludes pushbike as an option.)

Yes I can agree with that Andy we have a 29ft Motorhome and could not get about in Devon or Cornwall or similar places without a small car but on the other hand if we down sized to a van conversion then yes we could manage with no car, as the van would be small enough to get down the small roads into the villages. The only problem I could encounter being 6,2 a van may be a bit to much of a compromise but everyone has their own opinion. Not to mention being to young for a bus pass,we got on a bus twice last week in Hereford £12.30 first time then went to Leominster £18 this was for two people I think it makes more sense for me to tow a car at this point in time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Agree absolutely! Whatever is the point in having a motorhome if you're going to tow a car?!

There is one hell of a difference between towing a very small car on the back of a motor home and towing a great big caravan on a car.

There are also time when one doesn't want or need the tow car....

I hate blooming caravans................................................

Its called choice. (y)(y)

Mickey Finn

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hobby 750 toskana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Got an 58 golf diesel would that be too heavy behind a 3 litre fiat A class 750 hobby?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Got an 58 golf diesel would that be too heavy behind a 3 litre fiat A class 750 hobby?
probably. what you need to know is the weight of the car , the vans miro (mass in running order) and the vans train weight. subtract the miro from the train weight. what is left is the most you can tow, allowing for using the vans payload

if the golf weighs less than your maximum, it will be legal.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have a Hyundai i10 which has been a great little car. We don't tow it though. Its done 108,000 miles since we bought it in 2009 and in that time all its needed apart from a once a year service is a fuse in the cigarette lighter!

Paul

Mickey Finn

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hobby 750 toskana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cheers Paul!! I've got a golf with 178000 miles which will be perfect , just worried it might be too heavy (1287 kilos)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back