Autotrail Cheyenne Electric Step Stopped Working (1 Viewer)

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
Hi,
2007 Autotrail 696.
The electric step has suddenly stopped working and is stuck out after, I suspect, driving through this morning's heavy rain. when we arrived home to unpack, it came out but now it won't go back with the remote central locking, the switch or by starting the engine. I've taken the cover off the limiter switch and it appears dry and I've given it a good squirt with maintenance spray. The other thing is that the interior light above the door that normally acts as a courtesy light when you unlock won't work on the switch as it does normally independendent of the step.
Is it possible that a fuse has gone - if so, where is it? I've checked all the Sargent ECU325 fuses and all are OK.
Any help would be gratefully received as I'm stuck with the step out that won't retract.
Thanks
Phil

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
The fuse for the step is under the engine bonnet against the battery, there are about 4 fuses in a block and I think it's the second one in
Alan

OP
OP
Phil J.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
Thanks Alan, however our batteries are under passenger seat, its a 2007.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the step should just push in by hand ok. If the fuse has blown it is likely the step mechanism is encrusted with crud causing a high current drain when used. Sorry no idea where your fuse is but cleaning all bolts and pivots should reduce the load. It is recommended NOT to grease as grease collects crud.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
didn't
Thanks Alan, however our batteries are under passenger seat, its a 2007.
My 696 was a 2006 model and the leisure batteries where under the bench seats but the engine battery was in the engine compartment with the step fuses coming from the engine battery.
I had the same problem after travelling in heavy rain and travelled from Mimizan in France to near Valencia without realising it was out.
good luck with rectifying the fault.
Alan

OP
OP
Phil J.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
I have fixed it!!
After removing and checking every fuse on the vehicle, not finding a thing and being very peed off with it I decided to pack up for the day. I guess i must have jumped out of the door and and landed a bit heavy on the step.........yes, you've guessed it, a bit of a grunt and, hey presto, step retracted!!
It's working perfectly now after several tests with the button and the central locking so my guess it it stuck or there's some crud lurking. I'll clean it up and oil it and, hopefully, it should be ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
2007 Autotrail will have the Sargent system in it that has the dread EM50 unit fitted.. Apart from other jobs it controls the step.
The EM 50 is usually fitted in a completely different location ( on the Chieftain it is under the bench seat below the PSU ) and is recognisable by having a red LED on all the time :)

Check the fuses in that and the jumpers are still where they are supposed to be .. There is detailed instructions attached to the unit showing what does what.
The units seem to be a bit of a pain and the ones used on 2006 to early 2008 vans a particular pain in the bum.
Mine had a faulty PCB in it..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back