Petition for Aires in the UK & something to be done about Dartford crossing (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can't beat that, but looks like a site to me :)

It's by a canal in a really nice spot. The downside it that there's nothing much other than a Carrefour in the little town. Nearest restaurant was 4km apparently and not even a bar that we could find.

Deleted User
It's by a canal in a really nice spot. The downside it that there's nothing much other than a Carrefour in the little town. Nearest restaurant was 4km apparently and not even a bar that we could find.
Excellent.....will they let me on with my nymer caravan?:)

Carrefour supermarket, cheap vin, nice victuals, bbq by canal...... perfecto!!:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Excellent.....will they let me on with my nymer caravan?:)

Carrefour supermarket, cheap vin, nice victuals, bbq by canal...... perfecto!!:)

There were a couple of caravans there so probably. It's at Froncles. Don't have the aires book here so can't let you have the coordinates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Will have a google, thanks:)

Don't have a sat nav anyway.......maps always worked for me:)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Aires in the UK ?? You jest surely.. With the ridiculous house building programmes where every scrap of land is built on where from or who from is land going to come from ? Plus a certain group of scallys would just park up on them.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
"everything must make a profit" and "good value for taxpayers" are two different things, especially in the current financial climate. We have to remember that the systems in France, Germany &c have grown up over the years on parallel with the system in this country. Each has evolved to meet the needs of the population as a whole.
To expect every council in the land to create aires in at least one of the town/village centres they cover is not only laughable but it would cause a backlash from the far higher number of non-motorhomers who would see it for the waste it would be,
I don't think every council would be expected to provide an aire, but I don't see why it would cause a backlash from the non motorhome community. I am sure there is no evidence to support this theory. I don't see the people in Canterbury ( or other similar forward thinking councils) up in arms about the Aires the council have provided and they doesn't make anywhere near a profit.
Providing specific parking for them instead of towns and villages getting clogged with motorhomes parking on narrow roads would be advantageous to all, in fact one of the reasons France has so many Aires is due to this. Isn't this how car parks came about?
Perhaps when the motorhome population increases more in the UK it might encourage councils to do a bit of lateral thinking and do something positive for a change.
The problem is, no one in the UK sees providing Aires as a positive thing, and that's the problem. Too many people putting obstacles in the way and scaremongering has put paid to them for too long.
We need people with vision, who aren't afraid to rock the boat and start looking at changing out dated legislation and ideas, not people quoting said legislation as a means to stopping everything they personally don't like.
We need to forget the past and look to the future.
But really, I'm not that bothered with travelling around the UK in my motorhome. Aires should be provided by local councils, but, if they don't happen, I won't lose any sleep.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not a particularly useful or even accurate post.

This is an aire that we stayed on during our last trip.

View attachment 74282

Well that is definately not your average Stellplatz or Aires :rolleyes:. My post is accurate FOR ME, not really bothered if it's useful or not, I don't like Aires or Stellplatz (n). As for them in the UK, well that's just plain stupid. They would be full of Travellers in no time at all and then try and get rid of them. Just won't work here IMO.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well that is definately not your average Stellplatz or Aires :rolleyes:. My post is accurate FOR ME, not really bothered if it's useful or not, I don't like Aires or Stellplatz (n). As for them in the UK, well that's just plain stupid. They would be full of Travellers in no time at all and then try and get rid of them. Just won't work here IMO.
We choose our aires and I think you'd be pleasantly suprise if you looked around. There are plenty on here with aires gallery's .. (techno is one ) and if you look at someone like Keith chesterfield on YouTube there's some lovely aires there too.
Can't see them working in the UK on the whole though .

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
There is probably a pot of money from European funding hidden away somewhere that our councils could get a grant to assist in the construction of aires, but probably very difficult to find.
theres plenty of money from europe for cycle lanes

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

We stayed on 9 aires and 2 Stellplatzes on our last trip. Only 2 of them: the aire at Chamonix and the Stellplatz at Garmisch were as you described so it is a pretty poor generalisation. The few already in place in the UK; Canterbury, Little Roodee in Chester, Hawick and I'm sure there are some more, don't as far as I'm aware ever get problems from travellers. There's no reason for them not to work in the UK in certain areas but the way to go about getting them is not to try and force anyone to provide them. All that will do is harden opinion against the idea. The relevant local authorities need to be shown that there is a demand in that area and shown figures detailing the benefit to their community.

Reactions: GJH

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We stayed on 9 aires and 2 Stellplatzes on our last trip. Only 2 of them: the aire at Chamonix and the Stellplatz at Garmisch were as you described so it is a pretty poor generalisation. The few already in place in the UK; Canterbury, Little Roodee in Chester, Hawick and I'm sure there are some more, don't as far as I'm aware ever get problems from travellers. There's no reason for them not to work in the UK in certain areas but the way to go about getting them is not to try and force anyone to provide them. All that will do is harden opinion against the idea. The relevant local authorities need to be shown that there is a demand in that area and shown figures detailing the benefit to their community.

can't speak for the others but the Little Roodee has had issues. There is/was an RV (very old) that would come there every weekend and stay all weekend and never pay. He/she has been issued over 30 parking tickets for non payment but being as he is a "full timer" or "traveler" they can never chase him up. Before the invention of the "motorhome forum" Roodee was a lovely little place to stop, walk the dog, get some lunch and leave nothing but footprints. Sadly as the popularity of our hobby has increased and people turn up and abuse the place by leaving rubbish, parking with no respect for others and the people of the city I see it only as a matter of time before this too is a facility taken away for overnighting.
Same with Upton on Severn a few years ago when those with disabled badges refused to pay to park overnight citing that it was their right as a disabled person to not pay, again there was a threat of this facility being withdrawn.,

for every good facility that comes available, those with no sense (or manners) ruin it for the others, I would never publicise my super duper sleepy spots nowadays for fear of them being abused.

just saying like.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Same with Upton on Severn a few years ago when those with disabled badges refused to pay to park overnight citing that it was their right as a disabled person to not pay, again there was a threat of this facility being withdrawn.,
It was actually withdrawn for a while and, officially, sleeping, camping and cooking are still banned. At the moment that restriction is not enforced but the way the parking order is written it could be at any time if abuse occurs.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
for every good facility that comes available, those with no sense (or manners) ruin it for the others

Absolutely. There will always be the (edited for rule 1) idiots that abuse a good service. I have to wonder how many of the people insisting that local authorities should be forced to provide facilities would be the ones that abused them if they were there. It would then be someone else's fault if the service was withdrawn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back