Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
I have just endured two weeks in Amsterdam with no Bacon, or rather there was bacon but it was wafer thin and there was no real choice. According to my daughter Dutch bacon goes to the UK . So are there any other countries that don't have UK style Bacon?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's got to be supply and demand, we demand 'proper' bacon and they supply it. :D The fact they don't like 'proper' bacon beggars belief. (n) :LOL:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've bought 3000+ rashers from Bookers this year. Superb bacon, reasonably priced and will last a month or two in your fridge. Always worth taking a couple of kilos with you (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can get great bacon in France, don't know about the others, go to the local market to the meat van, and ask for poitrine salee or if you like smoked ask for poitrine fumee, he will show you a big lump , just show him how thick you want it sliced, simples:)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
My grandmother would not have recognised the horrible wet stuff that passes for bacon in much of UK and Holland: pumped full of salt water so that it oozes white mucous when cooked. It amazes me how many tons of it must be transported to Spain in UK vans. The Spanish sell wonderful dry cured bacon that is just sublime with eggs and it costs much the same as the wet stuff.

Steve-n-Mags

Free Member
Jul 14, 2015
Jarrow, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We've bought 3000+ rashers from Bookers this year. Superb bacon, reasonably priced and will last a month or two in your fridge. Always worth taking a couple of kilos with you (y)

What's the rules about taking bacon, and anything else that's normally in the fridge/freezer, abroad? We're off to Amsterdam next week and I thought I would just transfer leftovers from my fridge to the van

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So are there any other countries that don't have UK style Bacon?
Yes, The UK. We get our bacon from Holland.......(y)

Trouble is, most of this supermarket bacon is terrible.......No fat or crispy rind. You have to go to a decent butchers, and ask for streaky bacon. Plenty of fat to dip yer bread into. (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What's the rules about taking bacon, and anything else that's normally in the fridge/freezer, abroad? We're off to Amsterdam next week and I thought I would just transfer leftovers from my fridge to the van

Staying within the EU I don't think it's a problem. After the referendum it might be. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You'll be fine within the EU and lots of other places. There would only be problems if you somehow drove to the US and I think Australia. :)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Oscar Mayer Bacon available almost everywhere.

It's thin, full of flavour and crisps up to perfection.

pack.jpg

:cooler:

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've been buying some good bacon in France. It is thin but it isn't injected with water and the smoked stuff is very tasty.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Since fulltiming I have been forced to cut down on the bacon because frying it in the van spits everywhere even getting on my bed. However about a year ago I dug out my George foreman grill and tried bacon in it. Brilliant. No white scum that then burns in the cooking oil. No spitting ever where and the bacon actually tastes better.

If you have never tried bacon in a George Foreman grill give it a go. If you like it crispy though it may not work, not tried that sorry.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
We do bacon on our Cadac, then it just spits on the grass :)

OP
OP
Sallytrafic

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Its clear that many people on here like crispy bacon fried or grilled to within an inch of its life and starting off wafer thin. Well I like my bacon at least 3mm preferably 4mm thick and it should be just cooked. All the bacon I found in Amsterdam was about 0.5 to 1mm thick. We get our Bacon from a butcher but failing that Waitrose and Morrison's do have dry cure that is not water injected.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My grandmother would not have recognised the horrible wet stuff that passes for bacon in much of UK and Holland: pumped full of salt water so that it oozes white mucous when cooked. It amazes me how many tons of it must be transported to Spain in UK vans. The Spanish sell wonderful dry cured bacon that is just sublime with eggs and it costs much the same as the wet stuff.

Absolutely agree. UK bacon is rubbish. Loaded with brine, scrape the scum off, no flavour whatsoever. And supposedly "dry cured" is not much better - and 3 times the price. The reason that type of bacon is sold in the UK is that no other buggers would eat it!

Continental "bacon" is far far superior in texture and taste - so tasty that you don't need to eat great thick rashers.
And as for frying it to a crisp, USA style, obviously a dish for those with no taste buds and no appreciation of fine food.
Well of course you don't agree - nothing's a nice as British - wake up, taste the coffee :)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Try getting a decent lamb chop in New Zealand - just about impossible. Same reasons given - all the good stuff is exported.

When we went to New Zealand we had invites to dinner with a fellow member of the Fleetwood owners club (caravans). We arrived to the wonderful smell of roasting lamb.......only for it to be served up cold three hours later ! :Eeek:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
when I had my smallholding in Linconshire there was a small spinney at the bottom,so I fenced it off and built a shelter and populated it with two piggys , I fed them with apples,lots of apples and food waste from various places and topped it up with pig fodder.

Those little piggys became big piggys and provided me and my family with free range, non antibiotic,non saline pressure jetted bacon,hams and chops

im getting hungry just thinking about it :)

Steve-n-Mags

Free Member
Jul 14, 2015
Jarrow, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to everyone for the replies. We're off for up to 6 weeks so I'm sure we'll have an opportunity to have a go at the yellow pack bacon. I'll also dig out the George Foreman from the back of the cupboard and give it a go too.
Thanks again from the happy campers :Smile:.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Can anyone tell me why they inject water into the bacon? Surely it can't be to bump the weight up with very cheap water into very expensive dead pig. ................ Can it?:whistle:

Oh, and why the hell do we let them? (n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try the Middle East - hotels there have Bacon which is made from Turkey meat - same with the sausages.
And yes, it's a big disappointment on the taste buds.:(
Something to do with their religion banning pork maybe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back