Being forced into full-timing... Help (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I also looked at a property in Portugal a little while ago. I am waiting for the outcome of the EU referendum before looking any further though.

I rented my UK property out and the tenant did so much damage it became untenable for me to keep it. I could afford all the repairs so had to sell it at very close to the outstanding mortgage.

I now have no assets but also no mortgage so it was like having a millstone lifted from my neck. Having nothing left to lose is quite nerve racking at first but now I like it. It does give you a certain degree of freedom you don't have when you have something to lose.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I also looked at a property in Portugal a little while ago. I am waiting for the outcome of the EU referendum before looking any further though.

I rented my UK property out and the tenant did so much damage it became untenable for me to keep it. I could afford all the repairs so had to sell it at very close to the outstanding mortgage.

I now have no assets but also no mortgage so it was like having a millstone lifted from my neck. Having nothing left to lose is quite nerve racking at first but now I like it. It does give you a certain degree of freedom you don't have when you have something to lose.
Will you keep me informed on the outcome of the Portugal situation please. Many, many thanks. :) x

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Will you keep me informed on the outcome of the Portugal situation please. Many, many thanks. :) x
Just waiting for the referendum by the end of 2017. I am guessing it will be all over the news :p

If we vote to stay in it should be safe. If however we come out then anyone who has property over there may be in an uncomfortable situation. I really can't imagine what the implications might be as politicians can be unpredictable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
2017 ... oh dear. can't wait that long young man.... Guess another idea bites the dust then.. :(

Thank you .. x

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
2017 ... oh dear. can't wait that long young man.... Guess another idea bites the dust then.. :(

Thank you .. x

If it were me and I had a decent amount of equity in a house. I would look at getting a small flat in a cheaper area and renting it out. I was looking in some areas where you can buy a house for £10-£30K and get a monthly income of £350. Not sure this would suite you as it would need work on the property before renting out. I certainly wouldn't want to live in the areas I identified however so they would be purely investment properties.

Anyway, I am hijacking thread so will leave it there. Sorry to OP.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If it were me and I had a decent amount of equity in a house. I would look at getting a small flat in a cheaper area and renting it out. I was looking in some areas where you can buy a house for £10-£30K and get a monthly income of £350. Not sure this would suite you as it would need work on the property before renting out. I certainly wouldn't want to live in the areas I identified however so they would be purely investment properties.

Anyway, I am hijacking thread so will leave it there. Sorry to OP.
I would think OP may find that advice useful as a possibility to him too in order to get back onto the property ladder... :)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
There's no way we/I would rent our properties or plant out to
anyone; especially through an Agency, that I couldn't keep a regular eye on, (daily if necessary ). It could be too much hassle, very expensive, and could end in:cry:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I was looking in some areas where you can buy a house for £10-£30K and get a monthly income of £350. Not sure this would suite you as it would need work on the property before renting out. I certainly wouldn't want to live in the areas I identified however so they would be purely investment properties.

If you buy and let property in a place you would live in and offer the property to a high standard you will get tenants that will pay the rent, stay longer and look after the property.

The return will be lower but, less problems and a property that will increase in value.........(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Like everything else money from property appears to be easy money. It is anything but. It is hard work and the rewards are often rather less than you would wish.

I talk from experience having managed tenanted property.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I was a full timer for 10 years,before that part time for 10 years,

I already had a separate flat which was let,sold the business ,they idea being,rent from flat very small pension,plus interest from invested money,we did live very comfortable,spending up to 9 months abroad ( cheaper ) and three months in this country.

I felt we needed a base!!! And roughly at the same time my husband became very ill,we would not have managed if we were in the Motorhome!!!!! ( health wise you can not predict )

I think you are being shafted by your wife?????, see a solicitor !!!!
You bought the van with her in mind,now you are going solo do you need a big van!!!!!
Going full time is wonderful but a big learning curve,you might find its not for you!!!!! Do you intend to travel??? Or just stay cheaply on one site!!?? We wild camped a lot, so lived cheaply ,plus had no need for fancy clothes.
Living the dream is different from dreaming it, you certainly have to find out if you like it first!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
what a great line...and oh so true..

after 'living the dream' for 3 years I agree 100%

there is a long thread I started five years ago about 'Living the Dream'

@Fletton it's worth a read http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/living-the-dream.21174/
Thanks for that link............. it certainly does put things into perspective. . and that is really important. Thank you.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I loved it!!
I was 50 my husband 55,travelling was a way of life for ten years as full timers,!!!!
My husband became serious ill at the age of 65 and died at 69 if we had not retired early and if he had worked until he was 65 ,there would have been so many regrets,!!
We felt so lucky to have had our wonderful way of life,plus fantastic holidays,I am now busy trying to spend the rest of the kids inherentance.:Eeek::wine:

Life is a gift open it and enjoy,

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

'Living the dream' must include sufficient income and some 'security', and that is what most on here are advising.

(y)

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

I wouldn't worry too much about the outcome of the referendum many had property in Spain France and Portugal before we were in the European Union and many will have after.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
My husband use to say, the person who has never made a mistake in his life,has never done anything with his life!!!
I think it's very fitting to this topic!!!

yes the man needs to do his homework,he has some money,so he won,t starve ,he just might find out he is a lot happy than he has been in a long time!!
No one knows what the future is going to bring,some times you have to make a leap of faith,we all make mistakes,and we learn from them.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you buy and let property in a place you would live in and offer the property to a high standard you will get tenants that will pay the rent, stay longer and look after the property.

The return will be lower but, less problems and a property that will increase in value.........(y)

That is what I did. I rented out my property that I had lived in and loved. I even decorated it all and new carpets etc. The tenant destroyed it..... I would never ever rent out a house that I cared about again. I would only do it for an el cheapo house and provide basic but solid accomodation. I would encourage the tenants to look after the place by offering no rent rises if the rent was paid on time and the property kept in good order. No guarantee but may improve the care they give to the property.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
That is what I did. I rented out my property that I had lived in and loved. I even decorated it all and new carpets etc. The tenant destroyed it..... I would never ever rent out a house that I cared about again. I would only do it for an el cheapo house and provide basic but solid accomodation. I would encourage the tenants to look after the place by offering no rent rises if the rent was paid on time and the property kept in good order. No guarantee but may improve the care they give to the property.

I use agents that inspect the property every 6 months, even get the tenants to ask if they can hang a picture or mirror, 5 years no problems.

I property let to students........ good property, good standard of conversion - 3 years no problems

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I property let to students........ good property, good standard of conversion - 3 years no problems

I used to manage property let to students and it can be a very good source of income as long as all parties are clear about the responsibilities. Despite popular myth most students are quiet and hard working and will not trash your property (there are always exceptions of course). If the house is a good standard and well maintained it will be respected as well as their parent's house. Just be prepared to redecorate every year, keep it simple and basic and it will be fine. IKEA is your friend!

Lights

Free Member
Aug 22, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bean can
Exp
For ever, but mostly in a tent on a roller skate.
Am just about to go full timing and have had an insurance quote for Full Timing. Oxygen and two amputated limbs later it seems I heard correctly £1183.83 Apparently there is only one insurance company willing to take the risk for my converted panel van. I intend letting my home and don't wish to complicate matters for any relatives/friends who are kind enough to accept my mail. How do other full timers overcome this?
Good Luck with the transition Fletton, this bumpy road will pass and you may just come to love this life.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I never did find away round it, I used my daughters address plus went on the house list as living there,and I suppose I did because that is were we stayed most when home.
My doctor,s knew my situation,so we're understanding,as they have the right to cross you off there list if you are abroad for more than three months.
Banks did not care to much!.the list goes on!!!!
It is all traceable anyway,every time you come in or go out of the country your passport is scanned,Google Earth and cameras can pin point your movements. So some form of a base is needed.

I had friends who exported there van,because they were hardly ever in this country,they based themselves in France,and worked there,but they went across the border every six months,and kept receipts, never did find out how they managed with insurance.
Now we have scanning on roads,big brother is watching you!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I like to thank all of those that gave practical advice and I am pleased to say... that after turning up unannounced... and insisting on discussing any/all issues.... I believe that Cathy has realised that it's not a throw away game anymore... and normal service is beginning to resume :)

To add context to that... She's since spoken to her mum... and told her we both still have some things to overcome.... but basically it's time she grew up a little... and knowing the relationship they have... that's a big "admit" for Cath to say to her mother and father...

Again a BIG THANKS TO ALL YOU FUNSTERS out there! :)

and for you guys..

Umm - all very interesting - I wonder what the wife's story is eh! Maybe she could do with some advice?

I would agree,!!!

My learned friends... not helpful and nothing to do with my question...

However, maybe she could.... and maybe did !!.. But still irrelevant....

My question was based on a knee jerk reaction to the fact that she'd sent a txt! asking/telling me not to return.. whilst on way back after taking two of my boys for a fishing weekend on their birthday...

And aslo that she'd moved everything out of our joint account .. her salary, DDs for mort and utils etc.. leaving only my pension... also informing my via txt!

All without any warning or dialogue... and would not answer calls or speak...

Also having a track record of that behaviour during her previous breakups.... whereas I thought it would be different with me because ... with this relationship..... she married the bloke... intead of being noncommittal .... as over the past 20 odd yrs...

Now... I ain't saying ... and never have said... There's always another side.... but again ... on this Forum I felt it inappropriate to wash my dirty linen in public.... the thread title was to give context to question only...

What I will say is.... It was about ... me moving into and established family home.... and the challenges that brings... with all 3 of her (now) adult children still in residence.... particularly of late as each goes through that inevitable stage of flexing their ego's and status..

Originally we'd planned to buy together.... but redundancies (both of us ) prevented that...

This Scenario was not helped by Cathy's previous experiences with long term partners... (sort of .... "It's me and the kids no matter what) approach... and... IMO... not fully getting to grips that we'd both actually got married and made a serious commitment... as opposed to a prevoius just co-habbiting ... and Cath having everything in her name and the ability to pull the plug when things got a little tuff..

Compounded by the fact that she's never been one to talk - the nitty gritty..

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Good luck!!
If it's any help I agree with you.

Took my thirty years before I tied the knot??? You are just paying the price for the past,if you don,t mind me saying so!!!

So sorry you felt the need to explain.!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am so pleased to hear you are working things through with your wife. of course it goes without saying, now you need to iron out your differences and stop this happening again. best of luck and hope you can be happy again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back