handlebar on bike rack too close to motorhome body (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
for first time added couple of bikes to fiamma bike rack, but handlebar end is too close too motorhome body. I fear driving over a bump and it going into or just scratching motorhome. Ive thought about turning handlebar 90 degrees, but is there a better solution? thought id read once upon a time perhaps half a tennis ball on end..

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I fit the clamp to a point which keeps the bike away from the body: there are quite a number of places where the clamps can be attached, including lower on the bike frame, which causes it to slope outwards.

I used to loosen the handlebars, rotate, retighten then reverse the procedure when the bike was removed. Unfortunately, one time I failed to retighten completely and the bars moved whilst out on a ride :(.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Depending on the rack you may be able to move the bottom rail to an outer position and buy a longer top arm From Johns Cross, I did this when I came across the same problem.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
including lower on the bike frame, which causes it to slope outwards.
I do this too. I also find that clamping the seat post tube is more stable than the cross bar.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks to all of you.. sounds like its normal to turn handlebars..
We applied a self adhesive plastic reflector to the back of our MH, in line with the ends of the handle bars
like these
Prevents scratching and rubbing of the paintwork
Broken Link Removed
Never had to move the handlebars once!
Broken Link Removed

Also fitted folding peddles, which helped too.
Happy cycling!!

Robert

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Depending on the rack you may be able to move the bottom rail to an outer position and buy a longer top arm From Johns Cross, I did this when I came across the same problem.

bike is already in position 2 of 4.. ive a ladder on rear so wouldnt go in number 1 rail. I was thinking today that a longer arm (another number 3 one of 4) might help keep it more away..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
bike is already in position 2 of 4.. ive a ladder on rear so wouldnt go in number 1 rail. I was thinking today that a longer arm (another number 3 one of 4) might help keep it more away..

Thats all you need to do,,fit a longer top arm,,,i had same problem. It just means your bikes lean back a little. Good luck. BUSBY.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a Fiamma Bike Block ProD1 from Johns Cross, it is a jointed stay which enables more flexibility and spacing.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
All I did was packed the clamp that goes around the crossbar with a bundle of non-slip matting so that the bike leans outwards. There is plenty of length in the plastic strap to allow this.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Turn the handlebars. It takes but a few seconds with an Allen key.

Also, load the bikes pointing alternate ways to make loading easier. This also gets around the pedals hitting each other, in my experience.

I won't have anything attached to my motorhome's body. Loading as pictured ensures things fit compactly and won't foul any bodywork.

EEBBDA9E-4827-41AF-8CF7-35918864B44D.jpg

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I always loosen and turn the handlebars. They fit in the rack tidier and the risk of damage to the van is minimalised. Protective pad or not, handlebars can cause a fair bit of damage to a van if allowed to touch it.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Always turn our bars and load bikes facing alternate ways.

The use of an adjustable clamp also allows us to position our outermost bike at the most convenient angle.

Turning the bars takes less than a minute per bike. We keep the appropriate Allen key in a handlebar bag on one of the bikes so that it is always handy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back