Registering a UK Registered Motorhome in France. (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi,

We left the UK in February 2015 house hunting in France, fulltiming since September 2014 after selling our UK property.

We now have a new home in the Gironde & the time has now come to register Hettie the Hymer to our French address. I know I need a Control Technique prior to Registration with the local Prefecture & have the Certificate of Conformity from when she was first imported to UK from Belgium.

Anyone know if I need anything else?

Thanks,

Roger

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Roger,

It is about 6 years since I brought our LHD Bürstner from the UK to France. In order to obtain a CoC from Bürstner they required me to have the vehicle inspected by a suitable company - I chose Veritas in Limoges. They checked over the gas system and the electrics to ensure that all was in compliance with the French requirements. Once I had that certification I sent one copy off to Bürstner with a cheque for, I think, 300€. In the meantime I insured the vehicle, with a French agent, on its UK registration mark. Eventually, after many phone calls and a delay of over two months I received the CoC and then began the process at the prefecture. I think it was about three or four weeks before the "carte grise" arrived. I received what was, in effect, a temporary certificate of registration on my visit to the préfecture which enabled me to obtain my new number plates.

I have just remembered one other requirement. I had to visit our local tax office in order to obtain certification that there was no TVA due to be paid. I took my original bill of sale from the UK dealer. If buying privately it is necessary to take the original receipt with you.

Now I am aware that, although it is a national system of registration for motor vehicles in France, procedures, and charges, vary from Département to Département so you should visit your local préfecture or sous-préfecture where you will be able to obtain all the necessary forms and requirement lists.

Frankie's (Yodeli) experiences, which can be found on Fun, show that all in not always simple

If you think I can help further then please get in touch.

J

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks Everyone.

We do have the original Hymer CoC when Hettie was imported from Belgium so I'm hoping that will be OK for the local préfecture.

Have thought about selling her because she has been little used since we moved into our 'new' very old house with roof leaks, swimming pool to manage, death-watch beetle to treat & courtyard to get paved!!!

I quite fancy one of those 'flash', I think, Hobby Premium Drives. Hettie is LHD 6.7M Exsis i578 with solar panel, tracker, Alugas refillable gas bottles, spare wheel, snow-chains (!), Avtex TV & automatic satellite dish, 2.3 Fiat Auto, cab air-con, 3 years old in November 2015, & annual hab checks. Crafty ad there, I think. We knew she would be our full time home until we found a house over here so made sure we had everything we thought we might need including those Lidl snow-chains. When we got our heating allowance last year we actually made a profit thanks to those refillables-first time ever!

I ramble-sorry.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice & suggestions,

Roger

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It might be an obvious point, but thought I'd mention it. You have to send your V5 to DVLA indicating that it has been permanently exported.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I think you have to keep hold of your V5 until it is registered in France. I' sure I had to hand it in here with all the other paperwork. However, isn't there a part of the V5 which can be "torn" off and sent in to Cardiff?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think you have to keep hold of your V5 until it is registered in France. I' sure I had to hand it in here with all the other paperwork. However, isn't there a part of the V5 which can be "torn" off and sent in to Cardiff?
Yes, that's what I meant - D'Oh! :D

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you have a local garage that will do the registration for you it is well worth the cost. Ask at the Mairie if they know of a garage that will do it for you.

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Morning from the overcast Gironde-rain & thunder during the night & a bit worrying 'cos in our lovely old home we have a leaky barn & roof that will be sorted next month.

Hettie is booked in for her Control Technique check tomorrow at La Réole just down the road so I must adjust the headlights & top up the washer bottle. The adjustment of the headlights is 'supposed' to easy-'easy' jobs make me wary ;).

I'll ask the CT man if he does registrations-thanks for that tip, Hollyberry. When we bought our LHD Honda the garage did the registration. That was complicated because we were living in Hettie & an attestation from the site-owner that we lived there was not enough-they needed a bill from electric or phone company to prove that we were resident!

I think the Préfecture are supposed to notify DVLC but I'll send the tear-off strip anyway.

I should have sorted this when we moved in but there were so many other things to sort out like the satellite TV, wifi, new lights etc. I guess I just parked Hettie in the courtyard & enjoyed the house after 9 months full-timing. Our road-tax runs out in August, we still have UK full-time insurance so I need to get 'legal' soon!

All the best & thanks,

Roger

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
She was excellent for full-timing. Despite being a light-weight Hymer without full double-floor insulation, we were never cold in winter in the UK. Also being relatively narrow & under 3500kg we could drive everywhere we needed to in France-there are quite a few weight restrictions here.

We did use up our 'free' Tesco EuroTunnel return that was near expiry recently. We stayed at the C&CC site at Cambridge that was great. We also hired a Honda Jazz there since we had a lot of visiting & shopping to do. It was automatic (easier post broken leg stiff ankle) with cruise control. Very loud when the Jazz changed down to main 70mph cruising speed.

Such a contrast to Hettie since she is so easy & a pleasure to drive-auto, cruise control & cab air-conditioning. From where we live, 33540 Caumont, the Snooper journey time to EuroTunnel Calais is 12.5 hours. We did that easily by taking a flask & wraps & having very brief stops-despite Snooper taking us via the Route Peripherique in Paris (to be avoided like the plague-delays guaranteed!). Completely off-topic to avoid any potential problems in Calais we stayed here http://en.camping-la-bien-assise.com . Not cheap but with a great gourmet restaurant, just the job after a long drive.

In a nutshell, driving & living in Hettie has been great-easy & comfortable. There is limited width, of course, & we are not slim, but still OK. If you are down our way you are welcome to stay.

Best,

Roger

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you Roger.
You are having some great adventures!
Our i578 'Hermione' has just performed very well, three weeks/3,000 miles eurotunnel to France-Switzerland-Italy-Sardinia, returned up through central France, she is a doddle to drive and have auto clutch as can't use left leg. When full of water/diesel/bikes plus three of us with full tummies passed under 3.5 tonnes.

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi,
All done & dusted & dead easy!

1. Hettie is not yet 3 years old (first reg November 2012) & garage for Controle Technique said here 4 years old will be her CT.

2. Next was the Certificate de Impôt from the local Fiscal Department, local one didn't do it so had to go to La Réole, a larger town. Needed the old log-book, the receipt for Hettie's purchase & a pic of mileage showing over 6000km-under that or less than 3months old & the vehicle is regarded as 'new' with duty payable. I also needed passport & a photocopy for them to keep, plus a utility bill to prove where we lived.

3. Next step was the Préfecture for the Demande de Certificate cerfa n°13750*05 . Our choice was either Bordeaux or Agen & we chose Agen 'cos the parking was easier. Took a ticket to get my place in the queue. Handed in my log-book, Certificate de Impôt, the Demande, the Certificates of Conformity (one from Fiat & one from Hymer) & passport again. They filled in the bits I'd left blank then off to the cash desk. Just under €300 to get the new Certificate Provisoire d'Immatriculation that enables me to get French plates & drive legally. Tear-off bit of log-book tells DVLC of export. They kept my CoC's so might be an idea to keep photo copies of them -I didn't unfortunately.

All the best,

Roger

PS There is a site called 'Survive France Network' that is very helpful Broken Link Removed

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Glad you got it sorted. Another thing ticked off. Now you can concentrate on the barn roof !

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Thanks everyone - loads of valuable info as usual from MHF folks.
Cheers
ponyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back