Biard Semi Flexible Solar Panels? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
stick the new one directly ontop.....:rolleyes::whistle:

That is also an option, you have to deal with the terminal block and its probably not going to look as good.
But mine really wasnt that hard to get off and it had been on 2 years probably 10K miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At the car boot sale this morning hubby managed to pick up 4 tubes of Sikaflex 221 so I'll be using that to stick mine on ... I was due to do it tomorrow anyway so perfect timing! (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
[QUOTE="jonegood, post: 1500749,

I put the first one on with Sikaflex 2 years ago and it failed at the end of a trip in June. Ive no idea why it failed but it just stopped producing.
No big deal as a job and new one is working fine so far.
Jon[/QUOTE]

Did you get it replaced under warranty ? Just fitted a 150w unit which is working well, but since then I've read a couple of stories of them failing.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I put the first one on with Sikaflex 2 years ago and it failed at the end of a trip in June. Ive no idea why it failed but it just stopped producing.
Jon

Did you get it replaced under warranty ? Just fitted a 150w unit which is working well, but since then I've read a couple of stories of them failing.[/QUOTE]

I didnt bother, because it was 2 years old and only cost about £100 just changed it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've put mine on today ... took my time to get it right and whilst the fitting wasn't difficult, the cleaning up of the ruddy Sikaflex adhesive took absolutely ages! I was careful when putting it on but it squidges out and was a sod to remove ... my hands are now various shades of sealant!

Before I started I cut some cardboard to fit on the solar panel and taped it in place to avoid any possibility of electrocuting myself or blowing something if it started to produce a charge! I placed the panel on the roof approximately 4 inches or so behind the Heki which would provide some weather protection in transit.

I decided the best place for the cable to come through on the inside was above the overcab shelf/locker at the passenger side. To get the distance from the front I used a piece of cardboard and a marker pen to make up a 'template' of the distance from the side of the cab door frame to where it was to come through, then used this on the outside and marked the distance with electrical tape and using a couple more pieces of tape marked out a straight line up to the roof to get the exact distance (easier than trying to mess about with a tape measure!). For working out where the measurement needed to be width wise, I checked where the curve of the roof was and simply ensured that I was a sufficient distance in from it. The final location turned out to be the front corner of the corrugated roof near to the join where the curved cab roof meets it, this gave a place for the weather cover to be fitted on a flat surface too to keep it watertight.

I first drilled a small hole in the location and checked it came though in the right place inside, which it did - thank goodness! I then used a larger drill bit slightly larger than the diameter of the cable and made the hole bigger. After cleaning it all up I trimmed a grommet to fit the slight slope for a good fit and then fed the cable through the grommet, into the hole and down onto the overcab shelf. I was then able to clean the roof up and stick the solar panel on with the Sikaflex 221 where it sat on the ribs of the roof and also the cable - as I hadn't got any 'proper' cable brackets (I forgot about needing them ... :D) I utilised some domestic electric cable clips (I removed the nail!) and stuck these on over the cable which I had run alongside the side of the Heki, I also stuck the grommet down and put some on the cable going through it too to make it as watertight as I could, then stuck the weather cover over it and sealed it well. Once I'd cleaned up the adhesive (and myself afterwards!) I then left it to set for a while and had a late lunch (2.45 pm!) and then had to go to an appointment.

When I returned home about an hour or so later I got on with the cable installation. It was coiled up on the cab shelf so I fed it down the side of it where there was a small gap so that it went inside the plastic cover at the top of the B pillar which I had loosened, then down the side of the long plastic cover (the one over the seat-belt reel) which was quite easy as there was a gap between it and the door rubber so it could be easily pushed in that way. I partly unscrewed the black cover at the bottom and fed it behind being cafeful not to get in the way of where the screws would go back - I cut a small piece of the plastic cover away at floor level so I could fed the cable through this and across under the rear corner of the passenger seat base before taking it to the front of the underseat storage area (being careful not to get taffled up in the seat mechanism or cabling already under there) and finally connecting it to the solar controller which had already been connected to the electric gubbins in readiness (I put a fuse in the live wire first).

I'm pleased to say it is all working and nothing has gone 'boom'! (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can I just add a couple of tips to make this better/easier.

1, Clean the whole area - I finds meths good for this and for cleaning up surplus sealant etc.

2, get some bits of wood etc to put on top of the cardboard on top of the panel to weight it down and make sure it gets contact with all the sikaflex

3, To smooth sealant efficiently use something like this

You regularly see them in Lidl the Lidl ones are blue in a little clipped plastic case.

My method is to have latex gloves and plenty of kitchen roll to hand, in this case you would put your bead of sikaflex close to the edge of the panel ( and put several criss cross's across the middle for added security) and as you press the panel down it will ooze out of the sides, use the finishers to tidy up the edge wiping the surplus on the kitchen roll ( note to self; put a piece of something down first so that you've somewhere to put the messy bits)

hth
Jon

btw the roof hole is definitely the scariest bit

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Have yet to check it out properly but it looks like my Biard semi-flexible panels have failed, at less than three years old I'm not a happy bunny:cool:

Will report back once I have time to test the system:cool:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I too have just removed two 100w semi flexible biard panals just gave up the ghost
putting out about two volts, the connecting solder wires to each cell just separated and went open circuit, have replaced with flexible panels again but wired from the back so less likely to suffer from the elements, removed old ones very easy with cheese wire, same stuff that windscreen installers use.;)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When fitting anything to my roof I clean the area with something like carb cleaner. I then place the item and draw round it with a pencil. I then use the wide masking tape to mask off the area just outside. I then scuff up the surface with a green scourer and clean with Isopropyl alcohol. I then apply the sikaflex to the roof leaving about half an inch from the edge and doing a big x across the main area. I then place 4 or more spacers 2-3 mm or so high. These prevent sikaflex from being compressed too much. It also means there is going to be little if any being squeezed out from the sides. Once it is fitted I run my finger round the edge while wearing latex gloves.

I then immediately pull up the masking tape.

Should leave a nice clean job on the roof.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: these are the type of spacers I used.

Broken Link Removed

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

Jon

Did you get it replaced under warranty ? Just fitted a 150w unit which is working well, but since then I've read a couple of stories of them failing.[/QUOTE]

Well that's my panel dead as a dodo, great while it lasted, will get on to the supplier and see where I stand :(

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Did you get it replaced under warranty ? Just fitted a 150w unit which is working well, but since then I've read a couple of stories of them failing.

Well that's my panel dead as a dodo, great while it lasted, will get on to the supplier and see where I stand :([/QUOTE]

No I had a second one that I had never fitted so I just peeled it off and replaced it ( a year ago now and still fine). I havent had it checked but my electrician son-in-law suspected that it was an issue with the connections which were screw type and have been changed on the later one to the plug type.

Jon

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I chopped the plugs off mine and soldered joints to the feed wires so it would be a neater fit in the cable trunking I used, so don't think that will be my problem.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
sorry - didnt make myself clear - the one that failed had screw terminal in a block attached to the panel and we suspected the connection between the terminal and the panel.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looking at some of the pics, on these posts does anyone ever give any thought to roof maintenance.
Sky light re sealing, replacement etc, seems a good few don't, and have seriously compromised access to such things, giving aesthetics priority over practicability
Food for thought for those about to fit
G

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Looking at some of the pics, on these posts does anyone ever give any thought to roof maintenance.
Sky light re sealing, replacement etc, seems a good few don't, and have seriously compromised access to such things, giving aesthetics priority over practicability
Food for thought for those about to fit
G

I'm struggling to see how this relates to semi flexible solar panels. They are surely less likely to be in the way.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm struggling to see how this relates to semi flexible solar panels. They are surely less likely to be in the way.
It was a general observation based on the pictures posted of MH roofs, not specifically solar panels.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Minxy is quite right

I am talking where to put your knees or feet or tools when the need arises to fix or re seal a roof light or vent.

It was specifically but not exclusively solar Panels I was referring to.

I have purposely not pointed to any particular install as I see so many what appear (pics do lie) to be poorly thought out installs
and flexi panels have exactly the same foot print as framed one's so I am also at a loss why you fail to see the
connection (You shouldn't stand on either type)

If you stick Flexi or framed panels either side of a roof sky light you then loose the access to that roof window/vent from the sides, if its also near the front cap that's 3 access/maintenance points you've lost
if it also has a huge Heki light behind it your only access is to stand on your panels or remove them ergo an ill thought out install.:doh:
It may not look as aesthetically pleasing to have one panel a foot further back than its partner, but if it gives foot room around a roof item
then that might be considered a good or better thought out install. :clap2:

The post was intended as advise and be food for thought to those about to venture into DIY panel or other roof installations
and to repeat my self, it is as relevant to Flexible panels as it is to framed panels as it is to Sat Dishes and Arials, If whatever you install makes roof maintenance difficult, think twice and install once
G

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have to say that I thought about this and resealed all of my roof lights before installing the solar panels.

If a panel is in the way though in the future you just drill out the pop rivets, disconnect the MC4's under the panel and Bob's your Uncle, you only have the aluminium angle mounts left.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Minxy is quite right

I am talking where to put your knees or feet or tools when the need arises to fix or re seal a roof light or vent.

It was specifically but not exclusively solar Panels I was referring to.

I have purposely not pointed to any particular install as I see so many what appear (pics do lie) to be poorly thought out installs
and flexi panels have exactly the same foot print as framed one's so I am also at a loss why you fail to see the
connection (You shouldn't stand on either type)

If you stick Flexi or framed panels either side of a roof sky light you then loose the access to that roof window/vent from the sides, if its also near the front cap that's 3 access/maintenance points you've lost
if it also has a huge Heki light behind it your only access is to stand on your panels or remove them ergo an ill thought out install.:doh:
It may not look as aesthetically pleasing to have one panel a foot further back than its partner, but if it gives foot room around a roof item
then that might be considered a good or better thought out install. :clap2:

The post was intended as advise and be food for thought to those about to venture into DIY panel or other roof installations
and to repeat my self, it is as relevant to Flexible panels as it is to framed panels as it is to Sat Dishes and Arials, If whatever you install makes roof maintenance difficult, think twice and install once
G

Its not a problem in my case as they no longer work:LOL::LOL: but even if they did I wouldn't stand or kneel on my bare roof anyway, with or without panels, but a 2ft x 5ft rectangular bit of 18mm ply with 20mm of foam stuck to it protects both roof and panels(y) so as a matter of fact flexible panels make it easier to work on the roof than normal ones which you would have to remove to work on the rooflight;)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its not a problem in my case as they no longer work:LOL::LOL: but even if they did I wouldn't stand or kneel on my bare roof anyway, with or without panels, but a 2ft x 5ft rectangular bit of 18mm ply with 20mm of foam stuck to it protects both roof and panels(y) so as a matter of fact flexible panels make it easier to work on the roof than normal ones which you would have to remove to work on the rooflight;)
They don't work?
proberbly had folk kneeling on em:doh::rofl:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Well that's my panel dead as a dodo, great while it lasted, will get on to the supplier and see where I stand :([/QUOTE]

Supplier has offered me a refund or replacement panel. Wary about a replacement in case it goes the same way. Can anyone recommend a 150 w flexi panel that isn't a Biard ?

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
hi all,
we would only have room for a flexi solar panal on the overhead curved cab roof due to air con and sat. using up all other space.
At Norwich we called in at the road pro stand and enquired about the difference between the high and low priced flexi panel they sold. Spoke to the owner who said, this is true by the way, "Well the expensive one is very good and the cheap one is rubbish!" why is that I asked, "the cheap one keeps stop working and the dear one does not".
What guarrantee do you get,, "well two years but you know what they are worth!" Not really selling us on them to say the least.
I have also read about over heating due to no air gap, can anyone update us on this issue and where they had them fitted
I did ask the road pro owner why he sold a rubbish solar panel and he said, "we tell them all about them and if they want to buy rubbish then that is up to them."
My friend and I decided he was having a bad day, by the way we did not buy from them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
hi all,
we would only have room for a flexi solar panal on the overhead curved cab roof due to air con and sat. using up all other space.
At Norwich we called in at the road pro stand and enquired about the difference between the high and low priced flexi panel they sold. Spoke to the owner who said, this is true by the way, "Well the expensive one is very good and the cheap one is rubbish!" why is that I asked, "the cheap one keeps stop working and the dear one does not".
What guarrantee do you get,, "well two years but you know what they are worth!" Not really selling us on them to say the least.
I have also read about over heating due to no air gap, can anyone update us on this issue and where they had them fitted
I did ask the road pro owner why he sold a rubbish solar panel and he said, "we tell them all about them and if they want to buy rubbish then that is up to them."
My friend and I decided he was having a bad day, by the way we did not buy from them.
Sounds like he was giving good advice to me.

Martin

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Supplier has offered me a refund or replacement panel. Wary about a replacement in case it goes the same way. Can anyone recommend a 150 w flexi panel that isn't a Biard ?

Couldn't find a suitable alternative online, so took up the offer of a replacement. Exactly the same size but different terminal box on the panel, this one has screwed glands, prized off the terminal box lid but it's filled with potting compound so couldn't check the terminals, although I did on the failed unit once I dug out the potting compound and they were sound.
An interesting point is that I bought the unit from Bestecoshop on ebay, when I emailed them about the failure, I got a reply from Trueshopping who offered me the replacement, this arrived from a company called BeamLed and I've since had 3 emails, one written in German, from a company called BestHeating, asking me to leave feedback for my recently purchased solar panel (n)
edit: new unit is working fine (Biard again) but I did put a couple of scratches on the van roof removing the old adhesive :(

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You should be very wary prizing open Black box's there is some seriously scary stuff in some

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back