Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
When we where away there was a smell from the back of the drop down sink i think it was coming from the grey water after 3 days,should i empty every day ? or is there something i could add to the water ?

Rich

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On returning home after each trip, and after emptying the grey tank (into the drain from our kitchen & bathroom), I pour a litre or two of hot water down each plug hole followed by a capful of Buster Kitchen Sink Fresh (or whatever it's called now). Half an hour or so later another litre or two of hot water goes down each plug hole and the grey tank is emptied again. That prevents smells from the system.

We wipe greasy deposits off plates with a piece of kitchen roll before washing them in order to minimise the amount of grease/fat entering the grey tank. After reading several posts extolling the virtues of cheap orange cordial for keeping the grey waste odour free we started carrying a bottle whilst away and have used that once or twice; it seems to work.

Cheap cola is reputed to work.

Also, we had a drop down sink in our Autoquest so I used to take it out after each trip and clean round the recess above the plug hole.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above really - when we get home, after draining the grey water out into our drain, I flush the fresh water into the grey tank and drain down again. Also every now and again, we either put cheap diet cola down the sinks and allow to wash around a bit, or soda crystals dissolved up.

Prevention is better than cure (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
After emptying our grey tank and then driving off we get a smell, after a couple of miles it goes, any ideas. All the plugs are in the plug holes.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
After emptying our grey tank and then driving off we get a smell, after a couple of miles it goes, any ideas. All the plugs are in the plug holes.

we had this as well, but noticed it was far worse if we had a window open

I now put 2 caps of non bio wash liquid in black and grey tanks after emptying, seems to have done the trick for us (y)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Stop peeing in the sink... :moon2::rofl:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
yippee another Gray water thread I use a very strong calgon solution to clean descale the tank then just
levee when ever possible the drain tap open
flush every now and then with bio washing luqide
edited from colon to calgon
bill

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi we use Milton, every time we empty our tank, hot toddy

Milton must love you.. it's just weak sodium hydpochlorite .

http://www.milton-tm.com/en/consumer/faqs
Milton Information.
What is Milton Sterilising Fluid made of?
Milton Fluid is made of an aqueous solution of sodium hypochlorite and 16.5% sodium chloride. The Milton Fluid that is available to buy is a strength of 2% sodium hypochlorite.

Don't waste money.. Use cheap household bleach which is 5% sodium hypochlorite .. about 30p for 2 liters .. don't use it as a toddy

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just fit Smev plugholes. They have integral water traps.
No smells, job done.

Hilda

Free Member
Jun 8, 2015
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Autohomes Beduin
Exp
30 years
We also leave the tap open. On site we have a waste water bottle that sits under the tap and we empty it appropriately to avoid build up of smelly claggy stuff in the tank.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I'm not sure about Bleach, it's not very kind to some materials used for pipes & fittings!
We use Washing Soda in the grey and a crushed Dishwashing tablet in the loo-we have a SOG!

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
The tip I got from this forum a year or so ago was to empty the tank. Poor cheap cola down the various plug holes (2 or 3 bottles will do) go for a drive and then empty. That seems to clear all the crap out of the pipes and the tank. Then we poor a cup full of comfort softener down periodically and the smell freshens everywhere. We began to have a recurrence of the smell this year when we were away and did the same and it does the trick

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I use about an egg cup full of non bio washing powder dissolved in hot water straight down the sink even if tank up to half full. Drive home and drain off then good for another 3 months.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
17p for 2 litres cola in the grey waste, bio washing liquid in the black waste.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Why not just use Elsan Grey Water Tank Flush? If you are driving around in a £40,000 motorhome why chuck cheap orange pop down the sink?

Crikey there are some stingy sods on this site! :)

KH

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
We also leave the tap open. On site we have a waste water bottle that sits under the tap and we empty it appropriately to avoid build up of smelly claggy stuff in the tank.
Do you use the dishwasher tablet instead of loo blu?

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I'm not sure about Bleach, it's not very kind to some materials used for pipes & fittings!
We use Washing Soda in the grey and a crushed Dishwashing tablet in the loo-we have a SOG!
Do you use dishwasher tablet instead of loo blu?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Why not just use Elsan Grey Water Tank Flush? If you are driving around in a £40,000 motorhome why chuck cheap orange pop down the sink?

Crikey there are some stingy sods on this site! :)

KH
upload_2015-8-1_19-26-21.jpeg
Help needed. I can't afford Elsan Grey Water Tank Flush .. Please support.

:) :) :)

Frenchsunlover

Free Member
Aug 1, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC 544
Exp
Since 2005
We had this rotten egg smell coming from the grey tank when in the heat in France.
We overcome it by pouring some grey water tank cleaner down the plug hole
Each time we empty the grey.use a differant plug hole each time, it will keep the pipes clean too!
Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back