LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I can understand why this month may be heavier on download than expected. the upgrade to windows 10 is a substantial size and it downloads automatically in the background

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
3.5 GB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't understand your usage Janine.

"Naked housewives in 3 D" is only 2 mb and I watched that for 14 days.

I reckon you are getting ripped off.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have not rec'd the email yet but:

My BT broadband is running at 1.3mbs down load and 0.04mbs upload. :(

So I consider it would be impossible for me to even approach the download limits. :D

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well, it looks like I'm going to be charged £5.60 + VAT for being 0.52 gb over the 20gb allowance.

Just before I go and shoot BT out of the water with my totally subtle and reasonable powers of persuasion, is there anywhere on my laptop which would tell me what I downloaded on any particular day? (Obviously, I've looked in my download and update files (y))

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just a thought. Do your computers auto update and if so have any of them performed a major OS update? If so that could easily account for 4-5 gig.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had a sudden increase in useage when Mrs L started using Facebook - lot of pictures/videos on there. I also noticed that our Hudl automatically updates all the apps (unless you switch them off) - this one caught us out while on a Spanish sim; used 1gb in less than 24hrs when all we thought we were doing was checking emails.

Interesting though as we too got an email from BT telling us our useage was approaching the limits - then suddenly exceeded them! Hmmmm.

Y

Yvonne

Deleted User
I had the exact same problem a few years back.
I knew I hadnt used past my monthly allowance & it took a lot of arguing to get them to have another look at my bill...low & behold I was right they were wrong.
Dont be suprised if they ask you to upgrade to unlimited usage:rolleyes:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I did actually upgrade to unlimited - wondering now if it was necessary. Trouble is once you're on unlimited you can't monitor useage as you could when you have a limit.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I did actually upgrade to unlimited - wondering now if it was necessary. Trouble is once you're on unlimited you can't monitor useage as you could when you have a limit.
I kept getting email warnings that I had already used over 6Gb of my monthly 10Gb allowance, and that a charge would be levied for every 1Gb I went over the allowance (the bill is in my name).
TBH, I was guilty of watching YouTube pop/music clips that folks had sent links to, or recommended, etc. I don't download films, and not very much music.

At Christmas time, our daughter brought over her NOW TV box, for us to have a play with. This meant using up bandwidth and our 10Gb allowance in no time at all, so for just an extra fiver a month, I upgraded to unlimited broadband.

Daughter accesses her TV box from her iPhone, so the box stayed with us. Rita likes the facility to catch up with some TV instead of recording, and I like the option to view documentaries that I wouldn't normally get to see on Freeview, so it' was a win win situation for us.

We have been with BT for many many years now, but I still challenge them annually, about the cost of our package, compared to what new customers are being offered in the media. It always results in a favourable outcome. :)

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Got the BT email at 9.30 yesterday evening (1st August) warning me that I'd nearly used my allowance for July & if I went over ..... blah-di-blah
Not only was it out-of-date but also blatantly wrong as we've been away for over 2 weeks.
As I see it, it's an advert with a misleading header, a bit like those mailshots we used to get from Readers Digest saying

"You've won £15 zillion"
(this could be you if you ..... etc)

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Dont be suprised if they ask you to upgrade to unlimited usage:rolleyes:

Surprise, surprise - the link to upgrade was in the email o_O
I've told them I'm going elsewhere, so we'll see how much they want to keep their customers happy. Phone call to me booked for Tuesday, apparently.

Maybe Watchdog would be interested?

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well, well, well!

Went onto the Home Hub Manager page to change all my settings again and found someone else logged on!

A quick google of the IP address shows that is (presumably) someone in South Africa.

Got onto BT again and they said they would send me out a new Home Hub. Then they came back to me and said it probably wouldn't do any good, have admitted it is a very common problem and that I could expect a call from BT's security team within the next 7 days because they were very busy!

So - if you are on a limited usage package, have a looksee who else might be using up your allowance!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've been reading this thread with some shock since, inspired by your experiences I logged on to my plusnet account and had a peek at my usage. Jul15 - Aug 14....

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well, well, well!

Went onto the Home Hub Manager page to change all my settings again and found someone else logged on!
A quick google of the IP address shows that is (presumably) someone in South Africa.
:Eeek:
I know I'm a bit naive when it comes to all things technical - but surely BT aren't???
I've been reading this thread with some shock since, inspired by your experiences I logged on to my plusnet account and had a peek at my usage. Jul15 - Aug 14....
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
:Eeek:
I know I'm a bit naive when it comes to all things technical - but surely BT aren't???

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I only wish I'd been on 'live chat' so that I could have saved a hard copy of what the Indian gentleman told me!

Even after changing my settings, the pesky interloper was logged on again within minutes. I've now tried blocking access - we'll see what happens.

I suppose that if you are on unlimited usage, you'd be none the wiser.

After changing my settings again, I can no longer log on wirelessly so am sitting on the stairs plugged into via ethernet (n)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Well, well, well!

Got onto BT again and they said they would send me out a new Home Hub. Then they came back to me and said it probably wouldn't do any good, have admitted it is a very common problem and that I could expect a call from BT's security team within the next 7 days because they were very busy!

So - if you are on a limited usage package, have a looksee who else might be using up your allowance!
Janine,

I have liked your post, but only because I am pleased that you have alerted us all, and not because you have been let down by BT. :mad:

Good luck in resolving the situation.

Jock.:)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I don't understand your usage Janine.

"Naked housewives in 3 D" is only 2 mb and I watched that for 14 days.

I reckon you are getting ripped off.
I sat outside Janines house, and used her wifi to watch it. Oh, hang on ... :roflmto:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Have you been using Netflix or Amazon Instant Video ? Both of those can use a lot of data
I watched an episode of Breaking Bad (just under 1 hour) on Netflix 4K - approx 8GB of data used. Soon eats up the data

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Have you been using Netflix or Amazon Instant Video ? Both of those can use a lot of data
I watched an episode of Breaking Bad (just under 1 hour) on Netflix 4K - approx 8GB of data used. Soon eats up the data

Nope, haven't watched any TV or films via the internet - just surfing and the occasional you-tube clip.

What's strange is the steady increase in usage over the last few weeks although we're at home less. BT have already warned us that we will go over the 20gb allowance this month, based on the last 3 days' usage!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Turn your router off when your not using it

A bit of a kerfuffle but
It'll hopefully make them try someone else's
I used to do that if going away for the weekend, to try and reduce the usage of allowance.

Cheers,

Jock. :(

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Some thoughts: firstly it's not a bad idea to check your router regularly for attached devices; secondly you could block access to the IP address that is apparently in South Africa; thirdly you could apply MAC address filtering to the router and set up a trusted devices list.

I'm not sure how you do it with a BT router but surely it must be possible. I have an old Netgear router and it is easy to control it via the web-based management interface. If you want to block the specific IP address I would expect it require a firewall rule where you 'block all incoming' from that IP address. Might be worth 'blocking all outgoing' too. For MAC address filtering, you set up a list of trusted addresses for your devices or friend's devices. The router will then allow only these devices to connect. It can be a bit of a pain as it means you have to specifically allow any new device to attach. Also, if you are set up to allow Fon roaming via BT, this option may be disabled. However, with a low download limit on your account, I would probably not join the Fon system if I lived in a heavily populated area.
To set up MAC filtering, normally you use the MAC address of the WiFi card (called 'Airport' if you are using Apple equipment). Not sure where you look for this on Windoze PCs but on a Mac it's in the System Profiler under 'Network' - 'Locations'. (n.b. a MAC address is a universal system to identify any computer hardware physical device - it has nothing to do with Apple Mac!)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just had the "you've used most of your allowance" email for August - we're not there AND THE ROUTER'S UNPLUGGED.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What the heck is going on???? Do you think Watchdog would be interested?
Oh yes I'd hope so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back