Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Natural England recognise that the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (amended 1968) is out of date and needs updating in many aspects. However as agent for DEFRA they can only work within the regulations laid down in that act. To change the act, would require a redraft and that would cost money. The government are not prepared to spend money on the redrafting. The 5 van rule is in the Act.

If a site owner wants more vans he is at liberty to apply to the Local Authority for a Caravan Site Licence. He would then have to follow the authorities regulation which include provision of toilets, wash basins and showers for each sex, paved roads to a specified width and pitch distance from water taps.

Before a CL site can be established an organisation (club) holding a paragraph 5 exemption has to approach those affected in the vicinity and take their objections into account. They also have to approach the local authority to see if they have any objections. As has been said before road access and visibility are deciding factors. CLs are not just the domain of the CC, MCC, CSMA, and C&CC, there are now about 15 clubs that can issue a paragraph 5 exemption (including FUN) and 400+ with other exemptions. No formal planning permission is granted, as the club has the power to grant the exemption. However the authority has the power to close a CL if it is not being run according to the regulations and prevent any further camping/caravanning on that land and request DEFRA to remove the exempt status of that club. Recently the "members only" regulation was sorted out. This was only a rule of the big clubs. It does not apply to the other organisations unless they want it to.

In theory there is no reason why a Gypsy or Traveller group couldn't apply to Natural England to get their own exemptions. As long as they were a properly constituted organisation and could show camping history.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We also arrive in vehicles that are Taxed, MOT'd and have insurance too. Strange how we get done if we fail to have any of these yet "travellers" don't seem to need any

You left out " & have number plates " :whistle:
I confronted a copper in an unmarked Volvo last year on a parking area on the North Devon link road. He came in to use the toilets & I spoke to him about the ones that had arrived earlier ( & we'd already had a set to with:D ) & had no number plates on rear of van or caravan. He didn't want to know; even when they drove off having realised he was Police , the copper still wasn't interested.
There was more chance of me being arrested:LOL: than him doing anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This Park n Ride near Southport Kew Shopping centre is massive and nearly alway deserted like in the picture, it would make a great Aire style site and make some money for the local council if only they thought about it. View attachment 63411
Have you contacted the council about it? Send them an e-mail with details of how much people would be likely to spend - but make sure it is real evidence not just a "we spend money" claim with nothing to back it or they will be likely to dismiss it out of hand.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
Natural England recognise that the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (amended 1968) is out of date and needs updating in many aspects. However as agent for DEFRA they can only work within the regulations laid down in that act. To change the act, would require a redraft and that would cost money. The government are not prepared to spend money on the redrafting. The 5 van rule is in the Act.

If a site owner wants more vans he is at liberty to apply to the Local Authority for a Caravan Site Licence. He would then have to follow the authorities regulation which include provision of toilets, wash basins and showers for each sex, paved roads to a specified width and pitch distance from water taps.

Before a CL site can be established an organisation (club) holding a paragraph 5 exemption has to approach those affected in the vicinity and take their objections into account. They also have to approach the local authority to see if they have any objections. As has been said before road access and visibility are deciding factors. CLs are not just the domain of the CC, MCC, CSMA, and C&CC, there are now about 15 clubs that can issue a paragraph 5 exemption (including FUN) and 400+ with other exemptions. No formal planning permission is granted, as the club has the power to grant the exemption. However the authority has the power to close a CL if it is not being run according to the regulations and prevent any further camping/caravanning on that land and request DEFRA to remove the exempt status of that club. Recently the "members only" regulation was sorted out. This was only a rule of the big clubs. It does not apply to the other organisations unless they want it to.

In theory there is no reason why a Gypsy or Traveller group couldn't apply to Natural England to get their own exemptions. As long as they were a properly constituted organisation and could show camping history.

As usual authority gone mad, the government would sooner spend millions building a railway to get you there a few minutes faster, what a load of rubbish !
two more vans per site would make no difference

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I got called gypsy, travelling scum by the man at the back of me in the queue when I asked the bus driver to tell me when to alight at the caravan park .... :(

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I got called gypsy, travelling scum by the man at the back of me in the queue when I asked the bus driver to tell me when to alight at the caravan park .... :(
That is utterly charming....not. Just as well a load of funsters weren't there to support you and to encourage the man to change his mind........

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As usual authority gone mad, the government would sooner spend millions building a railway to get you there a few minutes faster, what a load of rubbish !
two more vans per site would make no difference
A few million motorhomers and caravaners against tens of millions of train travellers. Not hard to see which is going to have most clout when it comes to allocating parliamentary time

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I think that 'gentleman' has a just case for a refund on his charm school fees!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I hope he was put right...... if you were what he called you then you would have left the bus at what was the green or school playing fields!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As many of you know, my son in law, Des, ( desndonna on here when he can be bothered to renew LOL !! He simply does not 'do' internet ) is a Romany.. His family are ( all bar one or two in the 'extended family' ) straight as a dye and good people..
Ask him or any of his family what their opinion of 'travellers' is .. Lets say they are not exactly complementary !!!

Reactions: GJH

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Is a landowner only allowed just one CL/CS licence?
Would it be permitted [lawful] to have both CC and C&CC sites on one field, if he had the room & allow 10 vans?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is a landowner only allowed just one CL/CS licence?
Would it be permitted [lawful] to have both CC and C&CC sites on one field, if he had the room & allow 10 vans?
To comply with the legislation there would need to be separation into more than one field (perhaps only be a hedge). That is how some people can have a licensed site/CL/rally field adjacent to each other, for instance.

Whether the exempted organisations would grant certificates for 5 van sites adjacent to those of their "rivals" would be up to them.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whether the exempted organisations would grant certificates for 5 van sites adjacent to those of their "rivals" would be up to them.
So in theory :whistle:, if all/some of these organisations banded together in a loose alliance to put pressure for a change in the law, a landowner with enough space could have a site for 75+ without planning!
[ignoring the undoubted objections from neighbours and/or local authorities]

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So in theory :whistle:, if all/some of these organisations banded together in a loose alliance to put pressure for a change in the law, a landowner with enough space could have a site for 75+ without planning!
[ignoring the undoubted objections from neighbours and/or local authorities]
By coincidence we are now staying on a dual CL site, the first one I have seen. Newland Caravan site, near Malvern, has two fields separated by a fence. The first is a C&CC CS and the second (being used for an MCC rally at the moment) is a MCC CL.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Rallies fall under 28 day per year rule and are exempt planning. I think!!!!!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Rallies fall under 28 day per year rule and are exempt planning. I think!!!!!!
Rallies fall under the para 4 or para 6 exemptions of Schedule 1 of the 1960 Act whilst 5 van sites come under para 5.
The fact that the CL field I referred to is currently being used for a rally is incidental. The point is that it is possible for a landowner to have adjacent 5 van sites certificated by different organisations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back