Fitting fan to cool fridge advice wanted. (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
so, following on to an earlier thread on how to make the fridge work more efficiently I ordered a fan to put in to the top vent.
The fan is a Artic PWM F8 12 volt, that gives the ability to adjust the speed.

The questions are:
1. How do I adjust the fan speed?
2. It has 4 wires, how do I pick the 2 I need just for 12v +/- .?

As usual any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi don't know about the kit you have ,but I used 3 artic case fans ,bonded with sikaflex to top vent .
Used a 12v dimmer switch as for led lighting .
Picked up a feed from 12v load side of solar panel regulated ,and also drilled switch box and fixed in a 12v alarm flashing LED light from a m/bike to remind me its on .
Total cost £15 or there abouts was going to post some pics up on fun ,but different folks different strokes :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
IMG_20150801_104839.jpg
IMG_20150801_104907.jpg

Can’t find the pics I took as I built it so took these just now.

Re the fan wires mine had a clear plastic 4 pin plug on ,which i snipped.

Then tested 12v for direction of fan ,cant remember colour and Top vent now sealed in place !

Snipped what I didn’t want .connected all to 12v and tested the lot and only pulling less than 1 amp.

Then buttoned it all into the van.

Works well.

Hope this helps :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As already mentioned, these fans don't run backwards if you connect the wires wrongly - they have a tendency to go quietly phut. :( They have electonics in them which don't take kindly to wrong polarity, or at least the two I burned out did :whistle: but there may of course be some protected by diodes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure if you need to adjust the fan speed. As a solution it will work of course and it does mean you can turn them down to make them quieter but I would have thought some sort of temperature sensing would be better as it would work automatically if you were away during the day - which is exactly when you need it to work as it will be hotter. A simple battery driven room thermostat should do the job though no doubt there are other solutions.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Wonder why manufacturers don't fit them as standard.....?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Apparently Dometic sell them as an accessory according to their engineer who I met in the week - he said you only need them when it's over 25deg
He also mentioned how important it is to have the van level as the fridge can stop working or be less effective as there is no pump to circulate the coolant - it's all gravity fed
You learn something new every day !

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Apparently Dometic sell them as an accessory according to their engineer who I met in the week - he said you only need them when it's over 25deg
He also mentioned how important it is to have the van level as the fridge can stop working or be less effective as there is no pump to circulate the coolant - it's all gravity fed
You learn something new every day !

Correct and Tilt Tollerent to 6%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back