Satellite Receiver-silly Question (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A silly question regarding the latest satellite changes , do the receivers need updating for satellite frequency changes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Automatic dish receivers may need updating but manuals won't except for a rescan of programs.

Current astra sats are all in the same place in the sky as far as your dish is concerned.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
A silly question regarding the latest satellite changes , do the receivers need updating for satellite frequency changes.

Firstly: there is no such thing as a "silly question" - it's only SILLY if you don't ask................

Now to answer your question. Most receivers ( not Sky boxes as they update as and when needed themselves ) will allow you to do a "blind scan" which will all the frequencies ( including new ones ) on the satellite you are pointing at and within the new changes the receiver will store the new channels found. This has nothing to do with your dish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Here's a stupid question. What latest satellite changes?

Every now and then the provider moves channels onto or from one frequency to another and in ( known as transponders ) and in some cases from satellite to satellite. Therefore rescanning your receiver every so often updates this.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Im asking because my KVH dome won't lock onto Astra 28 and had a thought that the frequency in my Megasat HD510 receiver maybe wrong. I can't do a scan until dome is lock on to satellite.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Im asking because my KVH dome won't lock onto Astra 28 and had a thought that the frequency in my Megasat HD510 receiver maybe wrong. I can't do a scan until dome is lock on to satellite.
Your first question stated "do the receivers need updating for satellite frequency changes" and nothing about your "dome" In 2014 Sky UK changed/moved many of the UK channels into a new satellite which made many of the MH satellite dishes stop working in that they could NO longer lock into or see 28E. This was because the MH dish was pre programmed to lock to ONE frequencey on ONE transponder which was no longer there ( switch off )
What many including myself had to do was have their system reprogrammed for the new transponders and the NEW lock frequency to allow the system to lock. You may need to have this done as well. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Your first question stated "do the receivers need updating for satellite frequency changes" and nothing about your "dome" In 2014 Sky UK changed/moved many of the UK channels into a new satellite which made many of the MH satellite dishes stop working in that they could NO longer lock into or see 28E. This was because the MH dish was pre programmed to lock to ONE frequencey on ONE transponder which was no longer there ( switch off )
What many including myself had to do was have their system reprogrammed for the new transponders and the NEW lock frequency to allow the system to lock. You may need to have this done as well. Hope that helps.
Yes I've been selecting a transponder number -12207 27500-
on my receiver but this no longer works and I know the dome need an update but just thought as I select transponder on the receiver that that may need an update as well.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The receiver will not help the dome, sorry you need the update.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
manic, my kvh dome had to have the transponders adjusted, emailed c a clase the importers and they will give you the nearest people who will do this cost me £50. or diy as in another post.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
manic, my kvh dome had to have the transponders adjusted, emailed c a clase the importers and they will give you the nearest people who will do this cost me £50. or diy as in another post.
Thanks for that, I've booked into Conrad Anderson on 30th July, so I should be sorted then, they say about 1/2 hour and there rate is £60 per hour.
Thanks for update(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am one of the most easily confused, we had a new dome fitted on our new to us MH in March 2013, when he fitted we were told it would need an upgrade next year. Typical of my luck, had I known I would have waited

However, we have done nothing with ours and it still works correctly (provided I don't switch to wrong channel by mistake that is)

Not too sure if we have just been lucky or it was all a sales hype (how well I still recall the Y2K fiasco) :)

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i used phantom uk. 0845 130 3301. cost £50 and came to my house to do the update.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Went and had our KVH dome software updated today at Conrad Anderson's all sorted now for £30:)
Whilst there I noticed a Frankie tag axle Motorhome inside, looked like it was having hydraulic jacks fitted and it's reg was ####FUN, I wonder if it was somebody from this forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back