Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Now back in the frozen north after our adventure - first time abroad in a moho, first time inFrance. Absolutely loved it after s shaky start. Arrived the end of March, the weather was terrible, rain, bitter wind for ten days, we visited the WW1 battlefield where my grandfather died, so I guess the weather fitted. Then across the north, down through Champagne, Birgundy, and the weather got better! Bitten to death by mozzies in the Camargue, along the med to the Pyrenees, about three quarters across, then up to the Dordogne and Perigord, then meandered up to Brittany and all the way round the coast to the top, D day beaches, then home.

Mostly stayed on aires, a campsite once a fortnight todo the sheets and have a rest from the road, plus a few wild spots as well, and a few passions. How great to travel along without worrying about emptying the loo and getting water. Great supermarkets and markets, great food and wine, so many trees and forests! What a beautiful country. we ate and drank well, and were surprised to find that whenI added up the supermarket receipts we had spent less than here on the weekly shop, including drinking morr wine than usual!

Only flies in the ointment were French drivers, they are abysmal, the 'call to prayer' of the bells at 7 in the morning, and some churches which had their bells on the OUTSIDE and which rang the quarter hours all night, grrrrrrr. And it was very windy most of the time.

Unfortunately the mifi we took decided not to work, and couldn't afford roaming, so just used free wifi when we found it, hence our absence from this site for a fair while. All the advice we got before we went was so helpful, thanks everyone!!!!

Trouble is we feel really unsettled now, don't really want to be here now, just want to be off again..........

Cheers
Dave and Lesley

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We drove through France to Provence in June and had fantastic weather the whole time, it just got warmer the further south we went. We were with a motorhome tour company so on sites all he time. Will go back on our own and stay on a mix of aires, sites and wild camping next time. Love France, the food is so fresh, wine so good and generally people really nice especially if you attempt to speak their language. Just a shame we have a horrible journey south to get the Dover Calais ferry! Agree with you on French drivers, they seem to sit behind you on the straight and then just before the bend overtake!

Glad you had a good time and hopefully you'll be on your next adventure very soon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Lovely to hear of your adventures.

France is such a wonderful place for us campingcarists - it could teach Britain a thing or two about making itself a little more welcoming to motorhomes.

Get planning your next trip then!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Lovely to hear of your adventures.

France is such a wonderful place for us campingcarists - it could teach Britain a thing or two about making itself a little more welcoming to motorhomes.

Get planning your next trip then!
You are so right about teaching the Brits a thing or two. We often run into issue in the UK because we have an RV. It's not huge, only 28ft and no slide outs, just wider than the average motorhome. In France no problems at all and even when designated a pitch if we had to move they didn't huff and puff, just got on with helping us find a good spot.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sounds wonderful. We can only go for 2 weeks at the most but we get over there as often as possible. The bells don't bother us as our town bells sound on the 1/4 hour all day & night (y)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
For first-timers abroad in a motorhome that was quite a trip! Glad all went well.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Slowly making our way north after 5weeks on the road and as we knew and expected France is delightful and we know that we are going to miss it like mad when we do return in a weeks time. As you mentioned the only part l would whinge about is the French driving...sometimes appalling but wont detract overall from the country itself.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Welcome back. I know what you mean about itchy feet, been back 4 weeks and want to be out again
Although we have been going out for a couple of days at a time there is nothing like just pottering about in a MH!!
LC

Deleted User
Glad you enjoyed your French adventure.

We are 3 weeks into our 3 month Anti Clockwise circuit (currently on the West Coast at Vieux Boucoup Les Bains)

Comms wise, we have an iPhone on 3, a 3 mifi, and a booster ariel for FON spots)

All have worked fine, the 3 setup has been superb, not yet failing to get 3G.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We love France too, been away there for 6 weeks
Cant wait to get back, so, we will be back on the tunnel next Monday and staying for a month.......
I know what you mean about the french drivers though, I had one following me for about 5 km of open road, then overtook me on a bend with a lorry coming the other way. I guess they crave the excitement.....

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
ok now you have made us all green with envy. we are glad you all had a great trip. I cant wait to get back out there.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
It's great to hear that your first trip to Frsnce went well. However I feel I have to take issue with the negative comments about French drivers. Over the last two years we've had several extended motor home trips in France and on every one we've found local drivers have been courteous, patient and safe, much more so than in the UK. It's a shame that some motorhomers have had a bad experience but for those reading who have yet to venture to France please don't expect to find universal bad driving.

Mar 31, 2015
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
October 2014
We can barely wait now until we go in early September

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun