Solar panel removing (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm tempted to remove the solar system from my current MH to fit on my next one. Has anyone removed the brackets sikaflexed to the roof. I read one post on here that suggested a thin wire (I have plenty of old guitar strings) used to cut through it but the OP was going to triy it and didn't post his results.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It's not worth the effort. I would just buy or make new brackets

I would be getting new everything with my new motorhome, personally I think just leaving brackets on the roof with no panel is not on

and what about the cables, what are you going to do about resealing the point of entry

I guess a little depends on whether you are selling privately or back to a dealer, but IMO a motorhome with solar panels removed would not be very attractive to me as a buyer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Would leave the system installed if sold to a private buyer. But the dealer I'm buying from knows I may remove the system. He was happy with that as long as I leave everything sealed up. I would not remove the panel without also removing the brackets. All or nothing in my opinion. I would not want to reuse the brackets. If it's a lot of bother with uncertain results then I'll leave everything as is. That's why I want advice from someone who has done it (or attempted it)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Did it 2 weeks ago.. A guitar string should do the job ok..
I had some wire rope and split one strand from it, ran the wire back and forth under the mounting bracket and off in seconds. Then a flat chiesel to take off the larger excess from the roof.
Was fitting a larger panel elsewhere and used new brackets ( Ali angle) ...

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
For the time and trouble involved, I'd leave it alone.

How much are a used panel and brackets worth ? Take this as an opportunity to upgrade and buy new, imo

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Took me two days last week...

I used a Stanley knife, a chisel and four tons of patience...

20150721_191734.jpg

I should confess I used this for more time than I spent cutting through the Sikaflex though...

20150723_190736.jpg

I wish Mr Tonka had been here...

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the solar panel moved from a previous van twice to new ones by the dealers as part of the deal, no problems with us wanting it done either.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Not sure how old your panels are, but why not use it as an opportunity to upgrade to a newer system, may even be more efficient than your current one.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Left solar panel on last motorhome and it was only bolted to roof rails and 18months old. Not worth the hassle of taking it off. But I did change MPPT controller for another one I already had. New 100w panel for current motorhome was only £89.00 on ebay.
But i did get dealer to change KHV satellite dome and gaslow system and install barbeque point for free.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I reckon I'd save about £300 by removing the system and reinstalling on the new MH. It's only just over a year old. 120W with Tracer MPPT regulator and remote display. If I was buying new I would go for 150W panel and the Schaudt MPPT regulator (to go with the EBL99 on the new MH). MH is currently up for sale but also have a good offer of PX from dealer. But the extra from a private sale would be welcome (and pay for the new solar system).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back