Help need for query on car brakes (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Hi,
This forum has been great for help with all sorts so I'll ask here first.
I have returned home after two weeks away in Orkney & west highland area. (I'll save that for another post)
The car a Ford Focus 2009, was on drive for two weeks. I drove it and there is a bad knocking noise when I break, the noise did ease up a bit, the more I drove and used the breaks but it sounded awfull and therefore only went to local shops.
The car was fine when I left.
Any ideas?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
probably the pads / brake shoes stuck to the discs / drums and it takes a short while to clear. a good reason not to over apply the hand break if leaving stationary for a while.

Clewsy

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
I had a similar problem with a Skoda left for three weeks. The front discs had rusted and then when the car was used the discs became pitted which caused a significant brake judder. Had to replace the front discs to cure it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You could take it for a drive, and on clear road as you are moving ,gently apply handbrake to get rid of any glaze, then do the same foot brake /accelerate(toe heal) to de-glaze front brake see if that improves it before spending any unnecessary money.
hope this may help :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You could take it for a drive, and on clear road as you are moving ,gently apply handbrake to get rid of any glaze, then do the same foot brake /accelerate(toe heal) to de-glaze front brake see if that improves it before spending any unnecessary money.
hope this may help :)
Many vehicles these days the electronics won't allow you to do it. On mine if you put your foot on the brake pedal whilst also on the accelerator then after a few seconds the engine light will come on & it goes into 'limp' mode. Take foot off accelerator & all will return to normal.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Ford focus?:) son has a 2014 focus navigator can do it on that
Ours hyundi 64 plate i30 also cando with gentle pressure as if acc against brake (y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Could be ceased caliper,

Try gentle brake pedal and accelerator as above. Then when stationery apply pedal fully with some force,then drive off. Hopefully it will free up.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect you just have a bit of rust on the discs. As everybody before has said drive around for a bit and brake a lot.

It should go away reasonably quickly so if it is still doing it after fifty miles I would take the wheels off and have a look. (y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It is most likely just rust but there is a remote chance of a cracked brake disc, (I had one go overnight on a Renault 5 many years ago) so before you take it out and do the left foot braking bit get the wheels off and inspect the brakes. The way I look at it is this, a problem with engine or transmission and it may not go very well but a problem with the brakes may mean it doesn't stop very well. This leads us to the Dirty Harry question: "How lucky do you feel?"

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back