Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
That will be 4 days without a scratch then!!!!
Just bought the bendy watering can from Colapz, comes with a half price offer of a bendy bucket. Expensive but the fact that they are both collapsible makes it worth it for me...I don't have a lot of space in Elle, not like you, seems you have space for horses as well!!!:giggler:
Horse will be in trailer pulled by car as not allowed in RV, even though as you point out we have plenty of space, as it shits too much which is smelly! No number 2's allowed in RV, especially by horses ::bigsmile:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have always used an aqua roll and submersible pump but we are now going to extend our hose and see how that goes.but the N&B that we now have has a 200ltr fresh water tank(y) and we have just spent a week at Henley and as an experiment we managed the water to see how long we could last.With both of us showering every night and Jo cooking every day and copious amount of tea and coffee we didn't have to top up once and still had a little over(y)
Brian & Jo

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
This watering can thing comes up every time someone mentions filling up, for gods sake you have a vehicle with an engine and four or more wheels move to the tap and fill it up and it will last for days , ours lasts at least three days with us both having showers everyday and all the rest of the water useing stuff.
Sit in the van watching people walking up and down with watering cans every day and just can't understand what they get out of it.(n):)
Exercise apart from moving to fetch a beer it's the only exercise I get :):):):):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We only have a food quality hose about twenty foot , only use aires , never been any where near out of water, always fill up as we leave a site if the tap is handy then we have enough for three days, if we get to about half empty and see a tap , fill up again , we have been in this van about three years and never run out of water(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We will top up the tank on arrival at a site but once sited with awning out, groundsheet laid, chairs and table outside and possible blocks under wheels as well as ELH plugged in it is much quicker to use the hoses or watercans to keep the tank topped up as required.
Each to their own though...:happy:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
With an RV, water cans rarely work, simply because there is no gravity feed. Behind the inlet connection there is a sprung loaded check valve that seals off the entrance. It takes water pressure to open it up.

Like this .......

Broken Link Removed

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Bugger water, drink wine or beer its far easier to carry

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our PVC has no gravity feed either.. although I guess I could modify a pump to have a hose lock connection we are stoppers not campers so driving to the tap isn't an issue.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
25ltr jerry can & man up & pick it up.
rarely use the hose as it takes to long.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Constant backwards and forwards? We use between 5 and 15 litres a day, one or two trips.
Approx same for us on average over the short time we have been doing this. Whatever I take out, I put back in, as you say, one or two trips. If I am close enough to the tap, I will use a hose and if it's easy enough to fill up on entry then I will. Always travel with at least 20l of water on longer trips and 75% full (approx) on short trips up to 90 minutes.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Same with us though I leave home with 30 litres, and like you , top up. It's so easy if you are taking a bag of rubbish away or going to the facilities block, just take the can. One aspect is I know the watering can is clean, a stowed hose may be full of stagnant water.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Same with us though I leave home with 30 litres, and like you , top up. It's so easy if you are taking a bag of rubbish away or going to the facilities block, just take the can. One aspect is I know the watering can is clean, a stowed hose may be full of stagnant water.
Believe it or not, I blow mine dry(ish) before storing (y)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We always travel with a full tank and refill by a 25mtr hose if near the tap but also have an Aquaroll and submersible pump that plugs into an external 12v socket next to the filler if it's too far for the hose. Much better than putting things away to drive to the tap.
Also for ease, I have fitted a 12v valve to the waste tank so just park over the drain and flick the switch to drop the water without getting wet in the rain or dirty reaching under the van for the plastic tap.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm going to use a watering can but I can only lift it if it's one quarter full. Any more and it's too heavy. I've got osteoporosis of the spine and I'm hoping that using the watering can will help to build up the muscles in my back and help support my spine further. I'm also hoping I will be able to increase the amount of water I can carry.

I'm taking one of those expanding hoses too just in case I can't manage with the can.

A question - will I need to take an assortment of tap connectors for the hose?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes a selection of tap connectors will be needed. They needn't be from anywhere special, get them from your local garden centre or supermarket. The type you'd use for a garden hose.

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I find one of these very useful at the business end. It saves trying to be at both ends of the hose at the same time or trying to wedge the hose so it doesn't fall out!

BROKEN LINK

Wyn

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you both. I've got a carrier bag in the shed with a collection of 20+ connectors. I'll have a sift through and take a few.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'd often watched folks on sites and on aires who are parked quite away from a water tap using a watering can to fill up and thought what a good idea, but, for me the shape of the can and spout takes up too much space so I bought a plastic petrol can and use that. It stacks nicely into an oval shaped bucket so saves even more space.
Yep, I suppose I could move the van nearer to the water point but hey, walking to the water point and back a couple of times gives me my daily exercise and also a chance to have a good look at other folks vans and maybe have a chat.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
That was always the exact reasoning my husband had for using the can and it's one I'm going to adopt in the hope it might bright about those same advantages.

Good hint about the fuel cans. I've got room for two and could carry one in each hand - but then - would that cut down on the opportunities to have a chat?

Decisions eh?

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Oh, I forgot to mention it's 10 litre can.
The bucket and can fit inside the wire pannier that goes on the front of Lin's bike.
I also drill a few holes in the top of the can towards the back to help the water flow out easier and I use an angled drain pipe fitting to make it easier to pour the water into the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Aquarolls are for caravans because they have no engines small water tanks and are generally sited for a few days to a few weeks in the same place and hindered by awnings chairs etc. Motorhomes have big tanks and an engine the awning takes minutes to put away why bugger about carrying water?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back