Jun 30, 2015
Coventry
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since the 80's in some way other.
Hi all.
I have read a lot of the posts/threads contained herein, but my query isn't satisfied. Has any one travelled to Portugal in January / February? (Shorts or trousers, t-shirts or jumpers.) We would like to know on average, the weather conditions. I'm ok about driving down, would it be better on the ferry to Spain or driving all the way down (at the moment a destination has not been decided)? There are so many questions but these are the ones we are concerned with at the moment.

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Not been in Portugal for a while but if it helps,
We drove down, left from Newhaven took a couple of days to get to the Algarve, down side lots of toll roads, and have to be careful where you park up (reports of robberies).
Depends where your going, on the Algarve the weather is warmer than here but can be very wet in the winter, north/ mid Portugal the weather is similar to here, few years ago even had snow in the mountains!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This winter just gone. Northern portugal had snow. People from the south were travelling north just to see it. We heard on the news there. Much better weather than the uk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Like anywhere, Potuguese weather is changeable and depends where you are.

I have lived here for several years, winter and summer, I don't own a jumper.

Never wear shorts... shorts = tourist!

Always warmer than UK and Algarve warmer than central and north.

JJ :cool:

PS. Robberies in Algarve no more common than in Brighton or Benidorm or anywhere... Been wintering here for 16 years and only one mate got broken into, once...

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Err JJ ;) Shorts Tourist! I wear shorts all year, does that make me a tourist. :LOL:
Well you might be right. :eek:
And I remember you were robbed when you stayed on that site in Benidorm last year. :Eeek:
How much............. What!
For a car park. :rolleyes: :swear2: :rofl::rofl: Bob.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Err JJ ;) Shorts Tourist! I wear shorts all year, does that make me a tourist. :LOL:
Well you might be right. :eek:
And I remember you were robbed when you stayed on that site in Benidorm last year. :Eeek:
How much............. What!
For a car park. :rolleyes: :swear2: :rofl::rofl: Bob.

But Mr Bob... You are a (very) special case...

With those hunky legs of yours it would be unfair on the ladies to hide them!

And that bloody Benidorm campsite did indeed rob me...

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
RWM 49er

RWM 49er

Free Member
Jun 30, 2015
Coventry
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since the 80's in some way other.
Hi, thanks for the info, my wife says I've got good legs so why cover them up:)!
That weather link is good, thanks The Dude. The Algarve looks promising, just got to get the travel plans sorted. I'm looking at breakdown cover, my MH insurance can provide a service but any advice welcome.
:thanks3:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We usually leave at the early February to travel south, returning at the end of April.
The big problem is that at that time of year you have to take clothing etc for Winter, Spring and Summer.
So I take the Boy Scout route as far as clothing etc. . . . .. "Be prepared" . . . . . . . For everything from deep snow to temperatures of 30+ i.e wellie boots and thick coats to Buggie smugglers
What's the payload on your van? LOL

camperstop messines

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Sao Bartolomeu de Messines
Funster No
MH
Sold it, not happy
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all.
I have read a lot of the posts/threads contained herein, but my query isn't satisfied. Has any one travelled to Portugal in January / February? (Shorts or trousers, t-shirts or jumpers.) We would like to know on average, the weather conditions. I'm ok about driving down, would it be better on the ferry to Spain or driving all the way down (at the moment a destination has not been decided)? There are so many questions but these are the ones we are concerned with at the moment.

For staying in the Algarve during the winter there is only 1 good advice: layers! The sun is providing the warmth, but the wind can be very cold. So shielded from the wind by your van and in the sun you can sit outside in your swimsuit, but when going to get something out of your garage on the other side you´d wish for a winter coat. So on an average day you´ll be in a t-shirt one moment, and in a sweater the next moment. Of course this advice is only for you northeners, we poor people who live here all year round will be wearing our polar fleece gear with fur lining :)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
All the above is true, but when returning you can get 4 Spings.
First in Portugal as you leave, then move into France and Spring will be bursting out, then into S UK and the Kentish blossom and finally to Scotland and see the daffodils just coming out.
It makes the return trip very enjoyable.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
All the above is true, but when returning you can get 4 Spings.
First in Portugal as you leave, then move into France and Spring will be bursting out, then into S UK and the Kentish blossom and finally to Scotland and see the daffodils just coming out.
It makes the return trip very enjoyable.
We find that enjoyable too, but buy the time we get to Northern England in May its back to winter. ;)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Hi all.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Loads of good advice on here,from personal experience I Have
Not taken the ferry to northern Spain in a while,having had a fairly uncomfortable trip out of Santander behind a snowplough!
It just seems easier to drive through from France and to leave the high ground as soon as possible!
Down to Salamanca and over to the west coast of Portugal,
Aveiro maybe and then the weather tends to feel better.
It has worked for us,but the weather can be so unpredictable,it can make a nonsense of my opinions!!
If you have to drive up or down in January or February it's always going to be a bit of a lottery!
Good luck

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Went down mid Feb this year, used Newhaven-Dieppe crossing and drove down taking 5 days to get there. Appeared noticeably colder to the west of Faro compared to the east. Daytime temp was 17-19 but in the sun felt like mid 20's had to wear sun screen every day. Chilly wind comes in late afternoon, shorts & T shirts most days. Didn't like being on same time as UK meant it gets dark early.

Report on my trip here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back