rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
On site in Spain just now and air con needs re gassed but don't want to up sticks and take M/H to get it done, campsite says someone can come to me but I need to let them know what kind of gas and quantity please.

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

I have the same unit as yours and it is a sealed system which means that it cannot be regassed. I have spoken to people at Dometic about this problem who have confirmed that the unit is sealed and cannot be regassed. They even state that their technicians do not regassed these systems. Some people will tell you that certain types of valves can be fitted (Schroeder valves???) but finding someone to do this has been an impossibility. Sorry if this is bad news.

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I have a B1600 plus, I wonder if that has the same problem too.

I assume when the gas runs out you stop getting cold air?

How long does it take to exhaust the gas in the unit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Ours is 5 years old and hardly used until this year and it is not blowing cold air, so it is the old story of "if you don't use it you lose it"

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Quite amazing really for a high value item to be designed without any way to regas the system. I can say goodbye to that £1,000

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have same unit and can confirm they cannot be re-gassed. We found this out when I inquired about the warm air part of the system and was told that the heating unit is the size of a "coke can" and would not work on full power only in lowest setting. When I said that I thought ours was faulty they stated that could not replace as both cold and hot air are sealed for life. Waste of time.......

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ours is 5 years old and hardly used until this year and it is not blowing cold air, so it is the old story of "if you don't use it you lose it"

The liquid gas is used to lubricate the pump seals.. so if not used, the seals can dry out and the gas escapes..
even when not required , its a good plan to run them every few weeks to keep the seals in good shape.. .. this advice may be in the instructions ?

OP
OP
R

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
33* at 11.30pm inside last night - far to hot! have ordered a freshjet 2200 and getting it installed when we go to Polch Germany in the last week August.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I would be suprise if a good fridge / air conditioning engineers can't re gas that as most fridges have no re gas point just solder one in.

Chris

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there in reply to your message about your air con system -There seems to be some misconceptions about car ac and you fixed habitat ac systems

Fixed habitat systems are hermetically sealed for a reason, any charging point or valve is a weak point so they are not installed at the factory. they are a simple retrofit some can be soldered some can be fitted with a compression break in the pipe. Very simple.

Car or cab air continuing is driven by a belt from the engine, the compressor therefore has a protruding shaft and pulley with a gland type seal which rellies on the oil in the system lubricationing the face to hold the pressure. these can dry out and leak.

Your hab ac is an easy fix for someone with basic fridge training, most car mechanics will not have the training or knowledge to repair it for you. You will need to take it to fridge company or independant ac / fridge engineer.

As for your gas your particular model runs on r407c

It won't hold more than 1 to 2 kgs

Don't simply let someone regas it without finding the leak, repairing it, evacuating the system then recharging or your wasting your money.

Good luck :)

Anthony

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi there in reply to your message about your air con system -There seems to be some misconceptions about car ac and you fixed habitat ac systems

Fixed habitat systems are hermetically sealed for a reason, any charging point or valve is a weak point so they are not installed at the factory. they are a simple retrofit some can be soldered some can be fitted with a compression break in the pipe. Very simple.

Car or cab air continuing is driven by a belt from the engine, the compressor therefore has a protruding shaft and pulley with a gland type seal which rellies on the oil in the system lubricationing the face to hold the pressure. these can dry out and leak.

Your hab ac is an easy fix for someone with basic fridge training, most car mechanics will not have the training or knowledge to repair it for you. You will need to take it to fridge company or independant ac / fridge engineer.

As for your gas your particular model runs on r407c

It won't hold more than 1 to 2 kgs

Don't simply let someone regas it without finding the leak, repairing it, evacuating the system then recharging or your wasting your money.

Good luck :)

Anthony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back