Fiat 2.5 1994 Hymer Temperature Gauge (1 Viewer)

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
HI all... Need a bit of advice... My temperature gauge never changes... It flicks when the ignition is turned but never shows a temp.
I have tried looking for it in the engine bay but don't know what I'm looking for... Tried looking for a Haynes manual but can't seem to find one... Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I should be looking

Any help would be appreciated

Stu

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Until someone comes along the temperature sender should look something like this

$%28KGrHqV,%21pEFG-t2E0f+BR3U3LRM+Q%7E%7E60_35.JPG

it can usually be found sticking out of the engine near the front or in a hose
..............try cleaning the spade terminal and connector....

...bumped your post anyway(y)

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
the first thing to check is the temp sender. which will be fitted either into a coolant gallery in the engine block or possibly in or around the thermostat housing . there can be more than one of these types of sender [for radiator fan , cold start etc so to give you an idea of what one looks like , look up fiat ducato temp sender on ebay first]. if you are not familiar with a electrical multimeter then the easiest way to check its operation is to undo it[be prepared to plug the hole] and place it in a cup of hot water then reconnect and turn on the ignition , the needle should have moved significantly. on some early senders with only one wire it was possible just to put that wire to earth to check, but i am pretty sure your temp sender will be of the multi plug type and to be honest with modern electrical systems earthing out components is a definate no no these days !! hope this helps garry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The temperature sensor is the first item to check. However, on the 2.5 engine it is fitted in the engine block BEHIND the cam belt cover. A great engineering idea. I had a similar fault with my gauge and it turned out to be the copper tracks on the pcb behind the instrument cluster eroding. I solved it by running a new earth cable to the relevant terminal on the gauge.

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Mine used to do this. I wiggled and cleaned every relevant wire and every earth point I could find (including those inside the cab under the right side of the dash), and then found that the problem is sometimes to do with the temp. gauge wiring itself. Luckily it's just a matter of undoing a couple of screws and the whole instrument pod comes out. You can then unplug everything, give it a good clean up and put it back together again.

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Hi All.. thanks for your replies so far... i'm a bit of a noob where engines are concerned but need to learn if i'm going to be able to look after it..
Flamenca as you look at the engine (bear in mind i dont know) is the cam belt cover the one on the left hand side of the engine block?

When looking in the engine bay, I found 2x red and black wires that were loose next to a couple of spade connectors on the back right hand side of the engine.. I think these are for the fan sensors? I plugged those back in as I gather they should not have been loose, the copper wire was still shiny so they have not been out long..

I have noticed that my brake lights seem to be intermittent also.. I have ordered a new brake switch that looks the same from ebay, hopefully have that sorted in a day or 2...

The motorhome has recently had new timing belt / clutch and a few bits and bobs done on it in April I wonder if these issues started then? I have had it since Thursday fingers crossed can get the issues sorted as its a fabulous space to be in :)

I'm at work at the moment but will take some pics and post them...

Is there an online manual like a haynes one I could find?
I have found these, anyone know about if they are any good?
Looking at it I gather the Citroen engine and Fiats are basically the same...
Link Removed

Stu

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The cam belt cover is on the left as you look at the engine. The disconnected wires on the right could be for the Beru cold start device which many people (me included) disconnect as it is not required except during exceptionally cold weather; perhaps in Norway?

Unfortunately, a Haynes type manual is not available for the 2.5 Ducato base Hymer. I believe there is a manual on the resources section of this site which might help.

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Update to this... I have found the top senso hidden behind the plastic belt cover on the left of the engine... all wires seem intact.. couldnt quite get to it to pull off the wire to test if it spikes the gauge as belt cover in the way.. will take it off when I have a bit of time this week.. Brake lights now working (thankfully)..
I noticed that the exhaust hangers (the rubber rings) had rotted down and were of no use so ordered a new set, hopefully they will be here before I got to Northumberland on Friday, if not will tie up with some wire till I get back.

Has anyone had dealings with a company called Autotek in Sheffield? I have been passed their number to see about having a Cat 1 immobiliser fitted, seems like they are the only ones near by ish that will do motorhomes...

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Forgot to mention... the 2x black and red wires that were loose on the top right of the engine I have fixed back into the connectors they came from, after googling and googling they could be the fan sensors.. I will take a pic later and post... and as the gauge isnt working i thought it prudent to at least have the fans working lol... (if it is for them)

Its coming together.. :rolleyes:

Stu

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can test whether the gauge or sender is at fault by connecting the sender wire to earth. Then if, when you turn on the ignition, the gauge reads moves fully to the hot end of the scale then both the gauge and its PCB & wiring are in working order. The fault is therefore the sensor. If the gauge fails to move to fully hot then the sender is likely OK and the fault is in the gauge, the instrument PCB, or associated wiring.

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Fabulous thanks for the info Tony.. will give it a shot this evening.. (if the rain stops)

:)

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Morning all, The picture below is of the 2x wires on the right hand side of the engine that I have reconnected as they were hanging loose, could someone confirm what they are for? I think its fan control / sensors?
20150707_194343.jpg

Also this relay I have found on the left hand side of the engine has wires coming out of it that go nowhere.. is this an original fit or someones custom addon? Any clues greatly received....

20150707_194412.jpg

Stu

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The first pic is of wires that are connected to earth via the screw. The second looks as though it could be a heater plug control relay - but could be anything.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i cant help but notice that your original query regarding a faulty temp switch is now becoming a lot more involved, to the point where you are now reconnecting random wires in your engine bay without any knowledge of what they might be for, or even if they are carrying a constant or ignition fed live current ! with all due respect, what you must remember is that some of these wires will be from the original fiat base chassis ,some from the hymer conversion and some could be from homemade diy add ons . you could literally be playing with fire or at very least serious damage. i say that from a lifetime in the motor trade where i have come across the most amazing diy bodge ups ever seen !! its time to seek the services of a qualified AUTO ELECTRICIAN believe me it will be worth it in the long run . regards garry

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Cheers Tony hopefully will work them out...

Hi Garry thanks for the info... the wires that i put back in were recently pulled out as the copper was still shiny and they were next to the 2x connectors so simple deductions they were from there and could not have been from anywhere else..... I have found another thread within the forums with a pic of the same thing but with a rubber boot over them, so gather they are from the same Fiat Ducato chassis.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/request-to-fiat-ducato-owners.87766/page-3#post-1046363

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/nu...D-460E-A4E2-EC9285C47D77_zpsgzrpygwm.jpg.html

So didnt really think it would be an issue to just put them back in... But that said.. I will get in touch with an Auto electrician to see if they can work out whats what,... I still need to sort out the temp gauge which I will have a look at this evening....

Stu

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your second picture, if you mean the little relay to the right it looks to be an add-on.
Are all the wires disconnected or can you follow some back to an operating switch?

The larger grey box I am sure is the factory relay for the glow plugs. Mine is installed horizontally though , whereas yours is vertical. You should easily be able to trace the wires, which are heavy duty, on this.

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001