Which Oil Filled Radiator ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I see many folk around the forum recommending small oil filled radiators. Our van a Auto Sleeper Kemerton has the usual blown air heating but like all blown air systems there is a noise penalty.
So as a back up and just to take the chill of the air during the night we are looking at getting one of these oil filled jobs.

We would like the smallest possible size as our van is a van conversion so always looking at minimal size for everything.

So can anyone recommend a specific brand that is really good ? I would rather pay out for a small powerful one Rather than a larger less powerful and cheaper one. Buy best buy once and all that.

As always thanks !

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Check with your insurers if oil filled radiators would invalidate your insurance if they caused a fire in your MH

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can actually get oil-free ones ... don't ask me why!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I would hope the detectors in the van would pick up any fires.. Also these things if CE rated must be safe ?? Surely .

If not filled with oil what are they filled with ? Also a radiator filled with the oil alternative whatever it is would also not be covered insurance wise ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've thought about taking one on a rare occasion when we were on hook-up but didn't bother in the end because the blown-air is so good and hardly any noise as the fan is so efficient.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We have blown-air & tend to have it set at 10 at night so it rarely switches on, even with at least two, usually 3 roof-lights open. We haven't found we need any extra heating! (That's in the van; we don't have an awning.)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use an 'oil filled Rad' in the winter on a Timer plug. Not sure of make but it is a 1500W, 3 heat settings and stand 64cms high.
We tried a smaller one, dinky little thing, but it didn't give enough heat!

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We bought a small oil free electric radiator from Amazon. I can't remember the make at the moment, but will look back my Amazon purchases and get it. I remember it was a 700w model, but you can get smaller wattages.
It's very adaptable as you can have it full power to heat the van up quicker, and we generally have it on at half setting during the day. It can be turned right down for overnight and adjusts to temperature as needed.
It is a very good piece of kit.
Regards, Charlie.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We use an 'oil filled Rad' in the winter on a Timer plug. Not sure of make but it is a 1500W, 3 heat settings and stand 64cms high.
We tried a smaller one, dinky little thing, but it didn't give enough heat!

This radiator is just to take the chill off at night.. It's for wife's benefit as she has a spinal/medical condition which in turn makes her feel the cold.

It's not meant as a substitute for the blown air it's just to keep the chill off so ideally the blown air does not come on. Silent if you know what I mean.

I have a space in mind in which to stow it away so size Must be as small/slim as possible.

If it was me I wouldn't bother but it's for her indoors..

I think something around 700 watts output should do but I'm guessing so please feel free to correct me !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Me & Him Indoors prefer different temperatures at night. He has a good quality ultralight duvet, actually a piece of backpacking kit, as he likes to be warm. Maybe this would work for Mrs Charlie?
I have a single thin fleece blanket (which I then kick off halfway through the night anyway and end up with just the sheet ..... But that's another story .....)
And yes, we do have a double bed, and it works for us, so maybe .....? (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Me & Him Indoors prefer different temperatures at night. He has a good quality ultralight duvet, actually a piece of backpacking kit, as he likes to be warm. Maybe this would work for Mrs Charlie?
I have a single thin fleece blanket (which I then kick off halfway through the night anyway and end up with just the sheet ..... But that's another story .....)
And yes, we do have a double bed, and it works for us, so maybe .....? (y)
We have set our beds up as singles in our van . It just works better that way. She has a high tog rated quilt while I have a low rated one.

Last week we were on a lovely site down at St Austell. It went quite cold during the night and I think Vanessa did not feel it until she woke. By this time the chill had got into her. This in turn affected her spinal injury with the result she could hardly move and had a pretty bad day. It's hard to go into detail but I'm sure you will understand.
so it's a case of trying to prevent it happening again. It's far easier to wake up warm for her than to wake up cold. We have the same rigmarole here at home !

This is our first ever go at motor homing. We have never so much as had a tent before !! But we are loving it and look forward to having much fun and this type of holiday / lifestyle will suit us brilliantly !
but we have to get daft wee details like this sorted out in order to make it work for her.

Thanks !!!!

Reactions: CWH

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Charlie
The heater we bought is a Dimplex OFRB7 700W Oil free baby column. ( Eco Chico ). We have it plugged in under the table at the front of the van & it generally sits in front of the fridge so that the heat gets distributed around the van. Hope this helps. If you need any other details, just post.
Regards, Charlie.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Charlie
The heater we bought is a Dimplex OFRB7 700W Oil free baby column. ( Eco Chico ). We have it plugged in under the table at the front of the van & it generally sits in front of the fridge so that the heat gets distributed around the van. Hope this helps. If you need any other details, just post.
Regards, Charlie.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie
Regards, Charlie.

Thanks. I will have a look at that one.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
it's a case of trying to prevent it happening again

I really do sympathise with Mrs Charlie.
I expect you've tried everything and been given heaps of advice, but in case this got missed, have you tried a heat reflecting blanket? (above and/ or below)
Broken Link Removed
reviews at
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=685

PS which site at St Austell, & what did you particularly like about it? We really must do more camping closer to home.
Glad you're enjoying the experience so far - we've only been M/Hing for 18 months but I now feel disorientated in the house!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I bought a small oil filled radiator from the Range, it leaked after a few hours use. They gave me a replacement that's worked fine so maybe try it out somewhere safe first.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have a 1kw oil filled radiator bought from Lidl that i put in the van in winter months to keep the van aired. about £20 with 3 year warranty

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I really do sympathise with Mrs Charlie.
I expect you've tried everything and been given heaps of advice, but in case this got missed, have you tried a heat reflecting blanket? (above and/ or below)
Broken Link Removed
reviews at
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=685

PS which site at St Austell, & what did you particularly like about it? We really must do more camping closer to home.
Glad you're enjoying the experience so far - we've only been M/Hing for 18 months but I now feel disorientated in the house!

The site was called River Valley at London Apprentice. A stones throw from Mevagissey. It was immaculate. The facilities were modern and spotless. It had an indoor heated swimming pool and a wee shop but no clubhouse which we didn't want anyway.
Cost was £18 per night on nice level hard standing with electrical hook up. Fresh water points all over the place with waste points near every one. People were friendly and all in all just perfect !

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Ours is a De Longhi Bambino, 500w I think. We use it to keep the chill out of the cab area and find that it helps to reduce the cold air drifting across the floor from the cab.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back