Wild Camping Near Channel Tunnel Uk (1 Viewer)

Goldilocks40

Free Member
Sep 18, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi fellow motorhomers...after being booked on My Ferry Link and planned wild camp at Dover like last year, we are now going to France via tunnel due to take over/strike etc and not sure where we can wild camp...any ideas greatly appreciated...Marine Parade was excellent at Dover.
Dawn

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another recommendation for Canterbury Park and Ride but remember you have to be there before 8.30PM which is when the barriers are locked.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If Canterbury P&R is full or closed the neighbouring pub sometimes let you stop in their car park if you ask nicely and have a meal there. Also, along the A2 in the direction of Dover, just past Kent Motorcycles is a set back lay-by popular with truckers. On one occasion we managed to squeeze into a space in there, between trucks.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We drove past Marine Parade in Dover a couple of weeks ago on our way to the tunnel, there must have been 30 or more camper vans parked there. I'm beginning to see why residents complain about them. One or two isn't a problem, but there was just a sea of satellite dishes and open roof lights there.
I'm surprised Dover Council or the Port Authority aren't trying to get a proper aire sorted out somewhere, there is plenty of spare land around.
As Graham says, there is the aire at the Park and Ride at Canterbury and also another aire right in the centre of Canterbury. St Margaret's at Cliffe near the Dover Patrol memorial is handy with great views, there are a few lay-by's on the roads near Dover Castle and if you're sensible parking at Deal and Walmer near the sea front and in residential areas. All close to the tunnel or ferries.
Better still, get a late crossing and sleep in France.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm surprised Dover Council or the Port Authority aren't trying to get a proper aire sorted out somewhere, there is plenty of spare land around.
I'm not surprised at all, Allan, because they would have to bear the cost of building and maintaining it. My impression is that many of the posts on various forums asking about availability at Marine Parade are from people who want to avoid paying anything so any investor in an aire might have problems recouping their investment.

However, if people are willing to pay then it would be an idea for them to write to Dover Council and/or the Port Authority saying so (and how much) in order to encourage investment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I've stayed without incident a few times on "the Leas" in Folkestone overlooking the sea. Not done it for 4 years though, only because it was not necessary.

Dick

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Canterbury P & R gets my vote too. We got the bus into town, fare included in your £3 fee, loads of traffic would have been a nightmare taking the MH in.

Paul

Canterbury  P & R.JPG

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Living to the south east of Canterbury, we use the Park and Ride quite often when we go in the car. It's a very similar cost to parking in Canterbury without the hassle of driving through the traffic.
There is always at least a couple of vans there whenever we go and as summer approaches, it gets quite full.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
If the barriers at Canterbury are locked at 0830pm what time to they unlock them. I'm just thinking about early ferries and tunnels.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If the barriers at Canterbury are locked at 0830pm what time to they unlock them. I'm just thinking about early ferries and tunnels.
You can get out at any time it's only the entry barrier which is locked at, I think, 8pm.

Denise

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Another vote for Canterbury stayed there a few weeks ago the entry barrier is locked at 8.30 but the exit barrier is open 24 hrs the night we stayed it was full.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From the council web site:
The Park & Ride site opens at approximately 6am Monday to Saturday and 9am on Sunday and the entry barriers lock the site at 8:30pm. The exit barriers never lock so you can leave at any time with a valid paid ticket.

mobydriver

Free Member
Jul 20, 2015
Dersingham,Kings Lynn,Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Euramobil
Exp
since 2004
If the P & R at CANTERBURY is full then take a shot at the CCC site we have stayed there quite a few times especially coming back from France , a comfortable refreshing shower block is very welcoming, after a long drive.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
If the motorhome area is full at canterbury, park adjacent in main car park, no problems

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I'm not surprised at all, Allan, because they would have to bear the cost of building and maintaining it. My impression is that many of the posts on various forums asking about availability at Marine Parade are from people who want to avoid paying anything so any investor in an aire might have problems recouping their investment.

However, if people are willing to pay then it would be an idea for them to write to Dover Council and/or the Port Authority saying so (and how much) in order to encourage investment.

If people don't want to pay then they are no better than travellers sponging off the rest of society and leaving their rubbish behind them and the rest of us a bad name!

Dover, be it the port, the town or the tunnel need to recognise the need for facilities and provide them at the sort of price that one would pay for a stellplatz in Germany. There must be hundreds looking for a place to stop every night. An investment opportunity for someone.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If people don't want to pay then they are no better than travellers sponging off the rest of society and leaving their rubbish behind them and the rest of us a bad name!

Dover, be it the port, the town or the tunnel need to recognise the need for facilities and provide them at the sort of price that one would pay for a stellplatz in Germany. There must be hundreds looking for a place to stop every night. An investment opportunity for someone.
Can't understand why anyone wants to stop on this side, for the sake of twenty mins on the tunnel you can be parked up in Calais town , cite Europe or gravelines all without any trouble and ready for the off first thing next morning.

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
We drove past Marine Parade in Dover a couple of weeks ago on our way to the tunnel, there must have been 30 or more camper vans parked there. I'm beginning to see why residents complain about them. One or two isn't a problem, but there was just a sea of satellite dishes and open roof lights there.
As Graham says, there is the aire at the Park and Ride at Canterbury and also another aire right in the centre of Canterbury. St Margaret's at Cliffe near the Dover Patrol memorial is handy with great views, there are a few lay-by's on the roads near Dover Castle and if you're sensible parking at Deal and Walmer near the sea front and in residential areas. All close to the tunnel or ferries.
Better still, get a late crossing and sleep in France.
We stayed on Marine Parade mid June..whilst parked for over night a traffic warden turned up and moved two caravans on saying that only motor homes aloud. Caravaners were not happy, but they move off site..

Keith..

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at the Dover Patrol Memorial back at Easter on the way back from France as we wanted to visit Dover Castle.

Us and One other van, quiet once the walkers etc went home and great views back across to France.

Dover Patrol Memorial
Granville Rd
St Margarets Bay
Dover, Kent CT15

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x0000000000000000:0x788db729d9ce7303?hl=en

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

If it was such a sure thing then somebody would do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back