Rally Chat Shell Island September (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Maybe a change of plans..

just checked the site prices in Aug, £18.50 per night, (2 adult + 2 dogs )
so for three nights, (minimum allowed in Aug) it will cost us £55.50 ..

Lovely looking site, but IMO too expensive .. will be looking elsewhere.. CLs and or Britstops.
That's another reason Jim why we do not go in peak times Is costs more . It is not a site like a cl though Jim it's an island of outstanding beauty x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

Lovely looking site, but IMO too expensive .. will be looking elsewhere.. CLs and or Britstops.

£42.50 for 7 nights (from 2/9/15)(y)(y) iam ok with that.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
£42.50 for 7 nights (from 2/9/15)(y)(y) iam ok with that.

indeed.. but how do you get that price .. £6 per night ?

from the site ..
March - June, Sept - Oct & Easter
(excluding Summer Half term, ALL Bank Holidays )

Adult: £6.25 per night -£37.50 per adult weekly rate

Child £2.50 per night -£15 per child weekly rate (3-15 years old)

and
O.A.P RATES (OVER 60)
£5.25 PER ADULT PER NIGHT. SUNDAY-THURSDAY
£31.50 PER ADULT PER WEEK

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's not the cheapest at any time. The charging system seems to be the same as any other "big" site

We went in May:

Dates reserved for pitch

From 8:00AM Monday 25 May 15 to 3:00PM Thursday 28 May 15

Totals in party 2 Adults 0 Children 0 OAP

Camping fee Adult 2 43.50 (£7.25 pppn)
Administration fee 1 5.00
Dog 2 12.00
Total 60.50
Deposit paid 60.50
Further payment 0.00
Balance due 0.00

Compare it to Lyndon Top which is a similar type of set up and charges £7 per unit and that's it.

We liked Shell Island but at £20 per night I don't think we'll be hurrying back.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
price.jpg
indeed.. but how do you get that price .. £6 per night ?

from the site ..
March - June, Sept - Oct & Easter
(excluding Summer Half term, ALL Bank Holidays )

Adult: £6.25 per night -£37.50 per adult weekly rate

Child £2.50 per night -£15 per child weekly rate (3-15 years old)

and
O.A.P RATES (OVER 60)
£5.25 PER ADULT PER NIGHT. SUNDAY-THURSDAY
£31.50 PER ADULT PER WEEK

[/QUOTE

price.jpg

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
It's not the cheapest at any time. The charging system seems to be the same as any other "big" site

We went in May:

Compare it to Lyndon Top which is a similar type of set up and charges £7 per unit and that's it.

We liked Shell Island but at £20 per night I don't think we'll be hurrying back.
It's nothing like Lyndon Top :( most sites in North wales start from around £15 a night especially those near the beaches . Shell island is surrounded by beaches fantastic views . Well worth the money in our opinion . However we are only three people to a unit plus we get age concession . I am so sorry it's not going to suit everyone due to cost but it is a most beutiful part of our country and we enjoy it so much . Least Septemer holds a lot if Funster memories for us . We are so looking forward to It again this September :)
Kate x

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's nothing like Lyndon Top :( most sites in North wales start from around £15 a night especially those near the beaches . Shell island is surrounded by beaches fantastic views . Well worth the money in our opinion . However we are only three people to a unit plus we get age concession . I am so sorry it's not going to suit everyone due to cost but it is a most beutiful part of our country and we enjoy it so much . Least Septemer holds a lot if Funster memories for us . We are so looking forward to It again this September :)
Kate x

I meant similar to Lyndon Top in terms of layout, and the way you pitch. Obviously there are no beaches in Rutland but the views IMO are equally good. If it was a proper full service site I wouldn't have a problem with the prices but I think it's excessive for what is essentially a rally field.

The other thing that I thought was very cheeky considering those prices is the list of charges for helping you out that I saw on a sign: £25 to pull you out if you get stuck, £15 for a jump start and so on. That is taking the p!£$

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The other thing that I thought was very cheeky considering those prices is the list of charges for helping you out that I saw on a sign: £25 to pull you out if you get stuck, £15 for a jump start and so on. That is taking the p!£$
But they have to pay someone to do it. So why sould they not charge? The AA man is not free is he/she:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But they have to pay someone to do it. So why sould they not charge? The AA man is not free is he/she:(

I guess that could be a whole new thread in itself. I've never heard of it happening anywhere else is all. Especially when you've paid a premium price to basically park in the middle of a field. They wouldn't be calling anyone especially to do it. There were tractors running around all the time when we were there so I don't see where they get those prices from. If it was put a couple of quid in a charity tin that would be different but those charges are ridiculous. I wish I had taken a picture of the sign now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No matter what others say or think.. each of us decides for ourself whether a site is good value for money and worth paying for, or overpriced...

we then vote with our wheels.

It's nothing to do with anyone else how we decide, nor is it a slant on those who think otherwise.

We have paid much more for sites abroad when we had a caravan, €35 -50 when the site facilities made it good value for money .. swimming pool, games rooms , next to beach, kids play area etc

so it's not about the whether we can afford it or not.. but whether we see it as good value for money.. or not.

I looked at the prices , totted it up and concluded it wasn't for us.. end of story..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I notice it says on their web site "Elsan Disposal point available to the side of the main toilet block."

Does that mean there is only one disposal point and that it is, therefore, something of a trek from wherever one is pitched?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I notice it says on their web site "Elsan Disposal point available to the side of the main toilet block."

Does that mean there is only one disposal point and that it is, therefore, something of a trek from wherever one is pitched?
Yup, its mainly geared up for tents so there are toilet blocks doted around the site

Reactions: GJH
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years

Hi ScotJimland,yes might have to have a serious think about it ourselves,there will be three of us plus dog.:(

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Well, I for one am looking forward to visiting, this is driving up from sussex, 1 adult,1 oap and 1 dog.
Each to their own, I guess :)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We are looking forward to visiting shell island again in september
and most probably before.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Not really interested in who's not going or the negative comments lol
its personal choice, and I go for the company.
We're lucky that members take the time and effort to publicise these get togethers.
Fine if you don't want to come,
but is it lovely ;-)
Looking forward :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back