Full Timing... Don't Be Afraid (1 Viewer)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Michael my neighbour across the road is about 75years old, and has a ford transit van which he has adapted so he can travel about the country, he used to travel to his brothers who lived in Alsace region of Germany/ Switzerland, until his brother died a few years ago, anyway this morning whilst we were cleaning our van after a few days away, he popped across with this book. The book is about a6/a7 in size and it has an ISBN 0-9543898-0-8 and is titled

It was first published in 2001 and has about 60 pages, with some colour plates,and b&w cartoons, I wonder if anyone has a copy or ever seen it, the usual no publication etc etc , never to be reproduced

OP
OP
whoa

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry meant to put a photo of the front cover
image.jpg

Bazzz

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi guys I'm new here as you will probably tell.. Lol..
I have a question which is really important to me as it means I can be closer to my 6 year old daughter who lives in Cheadle in Manchester whom I love and miss soooo much..

I'm thinking of selling my home in Scunthorpe and buying a 2-4 berth motor home to live in full time around the area where my daughter lives I will also be looking for work here too, I'm trying to get my head around everything incl covering all legal angles to see if this is at all feasible for me to accomplish, the only concern I seem to struggle with is parking on the streets close to my daughters house, I assume I can park here legally ( or wild park as it's called ) choosing a different street every night is this true??
Or what other options do I have? finding a camp site locally has produced O... :(

I would really appreciate any info/help with this Please....

Many Thanks..
Bazzz.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I think your best option would be to find a local campsite or a 5 van site CS / CL in the area parking on the street wont be much fun and you wont have much security .

Paul

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Welcome to the site.

Yours is a version of a common dream, and like many dreams, there are a number of facets which only you will understand.

Aspects include: how much money can you afford to put into this, as it will affect the size, age and condition of your vehicle? What will you do when it reaches the end of its life? (Will employment allow you to keep replacing it? What about retirement? [With a 6y old this may be a long way away, but needs thinking about.] What will you do if it breaks down/gets seriously damaged/goes into a garage etc?

How will you obtain fresh water/dispose of waste water/dispose of toilet contents? Campsites will provide you with this facility: the home of your daughter may not. Can you afford campsites? Are there any in the area you wish to stay? [Looking on the Camping & Caravanning Club website may provide some ideas: other sites are available.]

Will you be able to heat it sufficiently during the winter?

If if is large enough to live in comfortably, will you be able to park it easily in the places you want to visit? This could affect your ability to commute.

People who "full time" will tell you there are other aspects such as getting mail/insurance etc which CAN all be overcome. However, there may be other ways of achieving your aim which are more straightforward.

Good luck, whatever you do - Gordon

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are sure you want to camp in streets then you would probably be best getting a "stealth" van, i.e. a van which looks like a normal one on the outside, apart perhaps from a couple of roof lights and maybe a solar panel ot two on the roof. I know of one parked in a very upmarket village in Sussex and it has been there for as long as I can remember, no one seems to bother him and I suspect this is probably down to him keeping a very low profile. No idea what he does with his waste though - I guess he is very stealthy getting rid of that too.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
stealth van is the only way to get away with parking on the streets a normal motorhome is for one thing too wide for most places. Fulltime insurance is very expencive up to £2000 a year. A nearby CL is a cheaper option if you want a larger van, max 28 day stay then you must leave for one day before coming back, easy enough if you are working. You may be able to park up where you get a job, then water and waste not so much of a problem.

Bazzz

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks guys...
Was actually thinking of a stealth van like one of them vw type day vans that a lot of builders and various company's use could sign write it up with company logo lol (which looks really nice kitted up but cost an arm & 3 legs) but not sure if they are winterised!! Or maybe the can be winterised can anyone confirm please..
Sorry guys,, but what does CS & CL stand for??

Bazzz

Bazzz

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Sorry!! Going stealth was ONE of my options....

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
CS and CL are small sites, limited facilities ( usually limited to clean water and toilet and waste water disposal) sometimes you get electric hook up. For full timing you will need a well insulated van or you will be very cold in winter. Remember if you're street parking you'll have no electricity so you have to be careful with limiting 12v and you'll be restricted on TV etc..

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @Bazzz welcome to Fun, I would recommend you do your reaserch there is a lot to work out first, use the search engine on here, look at our sister site 365 on fulltimeing with all the facts if you deside to go ahead you won't get as many unexpected surprises.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can certainly ask the author about it and ask her permission to reproduce it....unless the publishers can over rule her permission.
she may even still have a copy or two....who knows.

I dont see her often these days but she is a lifelong friend and still motorhoming.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Did it for 20 years in and around Bath.

Kept my head down, never parked in sight of residents, kept the van 100% legal and neat looking on the outside.

I arranged a local address.

A company logo is a good idea. Mine had one... A finger print!

JJ :cool:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
This FUN! We never stay on topic for long. :D In fact 15 replies on topic must be some sort of record.:LOL:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back