Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi
I bought some LED bulbs to replace these current ones but when I put them in they didn't light up?? Have I just bought the wrong voltage or something? The code on the description patched the one on the bulb so I don't understand why it didn't work?
bulbs.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the bulbs in the photo are not LED bulbs, are these the ones you took out?

the one on the right would normally be a vehicle bulb rather than habitation lighting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Broken Link Removed

these were the ones I ordered to replace the larger bulb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
yes the bulbs in photo are the ones I want to replace as they get really hot and I am worried the kids might tough the cover glass and get hurt, also want to reduce power consumption. the smaller one was from a reading light and the larger one was from the ceiling in the main living are.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
as above- for the 2 pin bulb try turning it around and putting the pins in opposite to what you have tried. if that works you may have to change the wiring around in your ceiling light to reverse the polarity for that bulb

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
you won't have any problems with polarity if you buy Aten Leds , they are also voltage regulated so not affected by fluctuations in the 12v supply..

Please note all of our G4 LED lamps are voltage regulated and are not polarity sensitive - i.e. the LED will light up whichever way the positive and negative power is applied so no rewiring is required.

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Another point worth considering Some will only work on 12 + volts. One suitable for your use are compensated to work from 9 to 15 volts or better. Worth checking if you are getting voltage drop by checking voltage across the terminals of the light - sometimes you will find a battery with 12.6 volts across the terminals are only delivering 11 + volts to the light fitting

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Been using Chinese led's for a while now with no problems whatsoever.
They stay nice & cool when in use (I check because I've read that cheap ones get hot, these just don't).
I never leave a light burning away unattended so I can't see the problem.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I bought cheap LEDs from ebay for both spot lights and roof diffusers and both serve their purpose well.
I did have to reverse some bulbs in the lamps to make them work........no problems with heat , shock or anything else.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I bought 8-30 volt ones to be on the safe side. They have been great.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As stated above it's likely that all you need to do is put them in so the connections are reversed. The one you have bought to replace the small halogen can simply be reversed in the fitting. If the larger of the two doesn't work then reverse the wires to the fitting. Convention is that the sleeve of the holder should be negative (earth) and that the centre pin should be positive. Because in a MH or caravan situation it's less important it is quite possible that it has been wired in reverse when the MH was built. MH & caravan builders can be a bit relaxed about electrical standards so don't assume it's the LED bulb that is wrongly made.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
The cheap LED bulbs on ebay from china are working fine for me as well! now in there 3rd motorhome.
Needed 3 more so bought them at NEC show earlier this year from someone mentioned earlier guess what only 2 out of the 3 worked, and paid more for those 3 than did for previous 12.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back