Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
We have only ever been camping so please excuse my dumbness!

If you go to a campsite and don't want electric hook up, can you set up anywhere like you would with a tent or do they make you park is a designated MH area?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you#re a member of the c&cc look out for THSs as these meets are way cheaper and ideal if you have young children

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Where would no find details of the meets? Also has anyone been to castlerigg hall in the lakes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Where would no find details of the meets? Also has anyone been to castlerigg hall in the lakes?

As a member you can check online but, as long as you are not an online member, you will also receive a monthly magazine with a section called "Out and About" which lists the DA weekend meets & THSs.

Denise

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Get youself over to France , am writeing this at the side of a river with a village with shops over a bridge, 3 euros 20 a night, we have 2 ,85 a battery's, no solar no hookup, never been near running out of power, just charges up from aire to aire

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We went to The Croft at Hawkshead last weekend for our trial run, we had been there with a tent previously and loved the village and easy access to Grizedale for bikes. For our first weekend in MH we wanted somewhere we knew.

Compared to last year in a tent it was just wonderful - we sat in the sun and watched everyone letting down airbeds / taking down tents and trying to fit them back in the bags like we did last year. Very hard not to look smug!

Its not the cheapest there but the facilities are excellent, village with pubs for food 2 mins away and the pitches well set out with lots of room.

Jen

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wildman, whats a CL? The site is Parkfoot in Ullswater
A CL, CS, or CFL are small 5 van sites licenced by different clubs, most require you to be a member however the MCC (CL) and Fun sites (CFL) are open to everyone. Ours is an MCC site so no membership required. 5 van site are generally a field with water and a dump point, sometimes a WC (like ours) seldom with EHU though not impossible, no shop swimming pool or clubhouse, in short a quiet site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
I have spent most of today looking at sites. I think we will be going to Lake District as we are taking our 1yr old dog who has never been before, so not a huge travelling time if we needed to take him home. Also I think a commercial site is probably best for our first outing to see how we get on with the energy supplies we have. We really wanted a site with walks on site and a playground for the little ones.

The 3 we have found and cant decide between are.....
Hill of Oaks
Woodclose Park
The Croft-Hawkshead

@GeebeeJaybee recommended The Croft, has anyone been to the other sites?

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Never been to France, never going either, but thats personal choice

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Y
I plan to get solar panels so we can be self sufficient and be able to go where we want to. Being a newbie maybe a bit naive but I would think we would mainly use gas as out cooker, heater and fridge run off gas. Not sure about toilet? Haven't figured that out yet!
You'll find the toilet fills quickly without any energy input whatsoever :D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
@tonyidle , I see you are in Kendal....Do you know if Hill of Oaks site has a good reputation?

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have three nights booked there in late July, as someone said, not the cheapest area

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A lot of CLs now have EHU.. in fact it's hard to find any of the 'old style' with just a tap in a field, a septic tank and sheep on site .. .. and prices are now on a par with CClub sites.. £15 and up is the norm... which I feel sad about.. loved the rough type of CL.. but times change, it's called progress..

There are still a few of the basic ones around but not many... 'modern'caravan man demands a lot of power.. so CLs have had to install EHU or lose a lot of trade..and close down. .

So, CLs are not always cheap.. one of the reasons we bought the BritStops book.. not to use exclusively.. but as another option when touring and looking for an overnight stop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Then what about Germany - you don't know what you are missing.
That's what I thought about the France statement if you havnt been what makes you so dead against it, if you have your own reasons, fair enough but please don't write them off they really are made for mhs

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Never been to France, never going either, but thats personal choice
then you are missing, cheap fuel, free campsites, free leecy on some of the aires free black and grey dump points, great food cheap wine of excellent quality, friendly people, fabulous countryside, quaint villages, magic D Day museums, amazing weather, clear roads. Not sure what your objection is, you don't have to speak the language either we always manage without.

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I know its your choice and not knocking that, but nevers a long time, could you give us apointer why you are so definite

No passport, no desire, plenty to see on our rock, and I haven`t seen it all yet.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Only ask
No passport, no desire, plenty to see on our rock, and I haven`t seen it all yet.
Only asked because I used to say exactly the same, but since the first time over, I just don't want to go anywhere else in the van

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I never wanted to go to Florida and agreed in 2001 as a compromise with hubby (he normally just gives in) - that year Florida to get it out of his system and then where I wanted after that. I was convinced it would be like Blackpool with sun.

How wrong I was to dismiss something without giving it a try first.

By 2003 we had bought a house there, have now been about 25 times! For the first time this year we are going somewhere else for a holiday, France to see the Tour having bought the MH! We will however spend lots of weekends etc seeing parts of the UK we haven't seen.

You are right of course, there is plenty to see in the UK but it doesn't have to be a black or white choice - dabble in a little grey!

Jen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Now i am confused....I have just spoken to a campsite and they have said we would have to set up on the car park as fields cant take a 7m motorhome as it would sink into the grass. Does that mean that we will always have to book a hard standing pitch or is this just their rules? can we simply just park on a field in a site or would we need to put something under wheels to stop it sinking?

Just rang another and they said again that we couldn't park o the field as their licence didn't cover them to do so.

I was hoping to just turn up, park up and set up..... :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Some will not have any grass pitches, some will have them all year, most will have them for part of the year (wet weather + grass pitches can = stuck motorhome). There are some treads to help - although we have some, sorry but I can't remember the name, somebody will tell you.
Some will have all their hardstandings without EHU, some all with EHU, many will have the option.
There's an infinite variety of what you'll find on a campsite.

The clubs' books (CC, CCC etc) will tell you what's available where, and they tend to be accurate, though it's best to check if you're booking by phone - have a checklist of what you want - grass or h/s, EHU or not, near to or far from the facilities block - if they have a facilities block that is, CWD, laundry, wifi, TV reception, M/H service point etc etc etc, and if you're not taking everything you need for your stay, nearest shop for milk, bread, eggs, fresh veg etc. as these are sometimes sold on site but sometimes too far away to walk.

The best thing is to stop thinking about it, get out there and experience what it's like. There will always be people to ask - other campers or the owners/ staff - and let's face it, if something doesn't go to plan it's not going to be the end of the world - think up a Plan B! We started 18 months ago having only used a back-packers tent before, and long before I was confident on FUN, and our first trip was a 3-month tour of Scotland (plus travel there & back from home in Cornwall) - we knew absolutely nothing, but we survived and had the most wonderful time. So I reckon the best advice anyone can give you is .....

JUST DO IT!!!
images

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Motorhomes at the Croft go on hardstandings - all with EHU, Water, Grey waste and TV point.
There is room for MH and awning on hardstanding plus large grass area between each. You choose your own spot when you arrive - they are not allocated to you.

There is a local farm van delivers fresh milk, juice, bread, eggs, cheese, meat etc at 10.00 around the site every morning. Even dog food and bones!

As I said it isn't the cheapest but it is quite small, spotless and quiet.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The last 2 campsites I have worked at both had no electric pitches. Depends on the site.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'd be lost without my solar panel. I only use free Aires on the continent, so after an evening of television or just living in the van, it's nice to know that the batteries will be charged in the morning, in a surprisingly short time. Besides, if the van is parked at home for any length of time, the panel will maintain the batteries. Incidentally, I installed a "splitter" to enable charging of two domestic, and one engine battery. Good investment.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back