"strange"...... Do They ????? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have got either a pair of swift`s or House Martin`s starting to build a nest in the appex of our roof..

Lovely to watch them hang onto the brickwork while they do what ever they do when they build a nest..

At the moment it is just a small curved feature at the bottom..

Do they start to build then emigrate and come back next year or stay till it is built..

Seems a bit late in the year to build and start a family..

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Either young-last years brood and too young & 'practicing', birds do this occasionally-or this is their second lot & they lost their first nest/place!
Young Swifts/Swallows grow very quickly, the later broods leave a few weeks after the adults so they have a little longer to build up their reserves of fat.
They are amazing they are young, never done the trip before and yet they find their way without any adult to show them!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we have swift in our eaves every year sad but i actuallly start looking out for them in may make a terrible mess but i figure they were nesting here long before i bought it

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We had one swallows nest for the first time last year, came back this year to the same nest but sparrows were squatting in it so they built another further along the eves. The second nest is directly above the alarm box, consequently it is now covered in swallow crap, so will have to get up the ladder and clean it off when they go south again.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Put " Oxford University Museum of Natural History swifts" into Google and it will bring up everything you wanted to know..and much, much more, about swifts. The ones in the tower there have been documented since 1947 and have their own webcam and diary.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Still time this year and the nests once built are used again, we have some swifts nesting on our gable end.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
They worked like Trojans on Sunday, building a half circle about the size of a small plate and sticking out an inch or so..(y)

And not been back since.. :(

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They worked like Trojans on Sunday, building a half circle about the size of a small plate and sticking out an inch or so..(y)

And not been back since.. :(

Is there water / mud nearby that has dried up in the heat, that is the building material.
If it has send em to Jewsons :whistle2:::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have three nesting pairs on the gable end and another three pairs on the top of the burglar alarm. They have gradually increased in pairs over the last 10 years. Yes they make a mess, but it's for a few short weeks before they make the long and wonder oust trek back to Africa. I think we are so honoured to have been chosen by them and I always feel summer has come when these plucky little things return. I like the fact that maybe, just maybe they visit the Kruger.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Sorry of topic Mo but what's happening regards the move?

Eddie

One of the ones we went to look at, at Bagwell, maybe going through.. quickly.. (y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
You are so lucky having house martins roosting and now you are moving! They are my favourite birds. The hotel we stay at in Corfu have nests in all the balconies and I spend hours watching babies being fed and the swifts/swallows/house martins flying around all day. We go to a pub in Herefordshire where the landlord has a nest in his eaves. His wife hates it as the birds hang their bums out and poo down the wall, she wants to knock the nest off but he says they raise babies, fly off to South Africa and then return to the same nest every year, so no way is he going to knock their house down, and I agree!

As an aside the pub is beautiful, they have a CL which is free if you eat in the pub - brilliant food - why wouldn't you!

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
I`ve had house martins nesting for the last 5 years at mine. 2 years ago they decided to add an extension to the nest (or add a granny annex), as another nest was built on the side of theirs. All on the alarm box at the gable end. I had noticed an increase in flight activity but didn`t realise the estate was getting bigger. Unfortunately due to an age related fault in the alarm siren, the nests had to be disturbed last October, to replace it. Late in April this year the Martins returned and spent a few confused days flying onto the box, twittering away to each other, then decided (sod it ), to rebuild over the next week or so .
There are also Swallows locally and I am always amazed watching them going like crazy and chasing around after each other. I`m alive !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back