V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks DQ, looking for the best quality for range and usability rather than price high or low. That's not to say the one you mention isn't excellent. Have you used it in a difficult location yet?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I am not saying that it is the best MiFi unit but I use a Huawei E5336. I bought it from Amazon 'unlocked' and have used it in UK, France and Spain with various operator SIMs. It does have a limitation for some in that there is no connection for an external antenna. In areas of weak signal I position it up in the rooflight and it works a treat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Thanks DQ, looking for the best quality for range and usability rather than price high or low. That's not to say the one you mention isn't excellent. Have you used it in a difficult location yet?
Yes used all over UK right now and in most cases get 4G. I have also unlocked it to use my 3UK sim and works a treat.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Apologies for hi-jacking @veevee , but could somebody please explain "unlocked" to a mifi ignoramus?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Apologies for hi-jacking @veevee , but could somebody please explain "unlocked" to a mifi ignoramus?
some phones and mifi's are "locked" to be used with just one provider like EE. if you want to use a sim from say 3 then the phone or tablet needs to have the software on it altered to allow it to work

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
cheers @TheBig1 ; I expect you have to pay for the privilege?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is the one I am ordering next week..
It is unlocked, Handles 3G and 4G and has 2 antenna ports for a Mimo antenna. It was recommended to me by a friend who uses it all over the UK doing consultancy work for internet companies.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just noticed Amazon are selling a new model of this.
E5377s-32

I am going to look into it and see if it has all the features I need. Currently using an E5332 which is 3G only and want to move up to one with dual MIMO antenna and 4G support when available. The E5332 has been excellent for me for a couple of years now.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cheers @TheBig1 ; I expect you have to pay for the privilege?
not necessarily some providers will give you the access code free, otherwise they charge more than the man down the market. best value if you really have to pay are sellers on ebay

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Gromett, I'd be pleased if you could come back to this thread with your decision on which one and why would be helpful.

Didn't explain that my usage would be 50% UK and 50% Europe usage if that makes any difference to the original question.

Thanks again

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I've got the older 3G version of this. It's not cheap, but with two antennas it works really well. Both mine are separated and put in the fibreglass roof of the Hymer - that way you get some 'diversity' in the antennas and stand a better chance. Of course it takes any SIMs - in fact it takes two!
Cheers

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett, I'd be pleased if you could come back to this thread with your decision on which one and why would be helpful.

Didn't explain that my usage would be 50% UK and 50% Europe usage if that makes any difference to the original question.

Thanks again

I have been looking into this and the biggest difference I could find was that the 72 doesn't support the 5Ghz wifi and the 77s-32 does. This I don't believe will make much difference in motorhome use but worth having non the less in my view.

I think I will now be going for the 77

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I've got the older 3G version of this. It's not cheap, but with two antennas it works really well. Both mine are separated and put in the fibreglass roof of the Hymer - that way you get some 'diversity' in the antennas and stand a better chance. Of course it takes any SIMs - in fact it takes two!
Cheers

Thanks Charles.

Different question for you. How long is your S 700 in real life? We were in Ireland last week and found our 6.6m S 670 just fitted snuggly into motorhome designated parking bays, any longer would have had to park elsewhere.
Been thinking of a later B 700 at 7.4m but it does look a tad long for practical use, any opinion?

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
How long is your S 700 in real life? We were in Ireland last week and found our 6.6m S 670 just fitted snuggly into motorhome designated parking bays, any longer would have had to park elsewhere.

About 7.5m with the big tow bar and cycle rack. We've not found it a problem, it's shorter than a car towing a caravan!
Cheers

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
About 7.5m with the big tow bar and cycle rack. We've not found it a problem, it's shorter than a car towing a caravan!
Cheers

12 years ago we full timed in a 7.4m MH and always found places to park. It does feel as though in general parking areas have become a little smaller in the last few years which may have created problems now but obviously there are still ways to park as you do appear to use your Hymer a lot.

Many thanks again

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello Mr Gromett

About a month ago you were going to order a new mifi device, did you ever order and use it and if so did it prove to be what you expected?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well I have just bought the No 2 MIFI kit from Motorhome WIFI which includes a rooftop MIMO aerial, a Huawei 5577 MIFI router, 2 5m lengths of cable, magnetic mount and two SIM cards.

All fitted this afternoon and I managed to do it without needing the extra cable lengths, all tidily tucked away in the wardrobe and the 12v power connected via the wardrobe light power source to charge the battery in the router and got it all connected via 4G and working with all our devices, topped up a data card, changed to international roaming and registered with Three and home emails now available via Three to our devices in the MoHo.

Feeling pleased with myself and the well written instructions that enabled me to get it all done in an afternoon.

Well done Motorhome WIFI. Just what I needed - a comprehensive kit to save me hours of trying to plug and play and failing to get assorted hardware together that I don't understand!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back