Hit By An Hgv Truck While On The Hard Shoulder Of The M6 (1 Viewer)

dappleduck

Free Member
May 14, 2015
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
toyota lightace
Exp
im a newbie
most important is the fact that you are both safe. think positive you may feel you have lost your dream at the moment.........however the moment will pass.........and your dream will come to the fore again. you should have no problem with insurance. just than your lucky stars and the good grace of fortune.............good luck.............dappleduck

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You're safe - you're in one piece - you can't put a price on that.

Hope you'll feel able to get back into a replacment moho soon, and start fulfilling that dream again.
Funsters will be around to help and support you if you need anything.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
bloody hell hope you are ok the mane thing is you are ok the MH can be replaced hope you have no problems with the insurance
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank goodness you are both ok - can always buy another motorhome but can't replace each other.
We stopped once in a lay-by to use the loo & never again.
I was hit by another car doing 70mph+ when sat at a road junction when I was young & if my father hadn't made me drive again the next day ("getting back on the horse") I think I would lost my nerve. Got over it but never forgotten.
Hope you can restart your dream again in time.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First of all, glad you are OK.

Hope you get treatment from your insurance as good as we got from ours when our van was written off nearly 3 and a half years ago.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
How awful-glad to, hear your both ok. The worst nightmare stopping on the hard shoulder and this happening.
Share This Page

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I know you're probably not thinking your lucky now but when the dust settles the magnitude of your good fortune will sink in.

Sorry about the MH. Gutted for you.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Gee, Polly and Arthur, that was a narrow escape. Just goes to show how precious life is and how, so very quickly, it could be changed forever. Fortunately, physically, you were not too badly hurt. We just hope that the trauma of the accident will not haunt you.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A camper van is a thing - it can be replaced, and the dream can live on. People can't be replaced. A very lucky escape.

I've lost count of the number of trucks I've seen straddling the hard shoulder, especially abroad. It's a nightmare place to be.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Pleased to read you are both ok. :)(y)

I am sure the motorhome will be sorted out ASAP and you will soon be back on your travels.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What a terrible experience, you must feel really shaken. I hope everything gets sorted out quickly and that you are able to continue with your dream. xx

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So pleased to read that you are both alright, hope your wife's not to bad must have been terrifying , hope they get you sorted out quickly and your on the road again safely.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you won the lottery getting out of that one unscathed.
Hope your insurance gets dealt with quickly and you are back on the road before you know it.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That must be everyone's worst nightmare - so pleased you are both safe.

Hope all is sorted and you're back on the road soon :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
What an awful experience for you. Glad you are both alive to tell the tale. In the end, that's all that matters. Hope your wife heals quickly.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As posted on the Hartlepool Marina thread Polly & Arthur, glad that you are both alive. (y)

The advice re getting out of the vehicle ASAP is extremely important. Some years ago, I attended an RTA/RTC, whereupon an elderly couple broke down on the edge of a dual carriageway outside the Thomas Cook HQ in Peterborough.
Husband told wife to stay in the car while he went to find a telephone to call for assistance. Wife didn't want to stay in the car on her own, and insisted that she accompany him. When they were a good few yards away from the vehicle, a 38 tonne articulated bulk tipper, drove straight over the top of the car, and ended up on it's side. :eek:
The car was completely flattended, and only discarded wheel trims identified what make it was.

As you have both found out too, there really is a God out there. :)

Rita and I wish you all the best, and hope that you can look forward to continuing the dream, when the new MH is ready for collection. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Absolute nightmare, glad to hear your ok . Wish your wife well and a speedy recovery.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Everyone's worse nightmare. As others have said, vans can be replaced, lives are irreplaceable. Someone was looking down on you...( even though Polly was on the throne!!) Hope the bruises and memories heal soon and you are back on the road again asp.:smiley:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Sorry to hear about your experiences and as others have posted vehicles can be replaced but not people. I am glad that you both are safe and please don't let it put you off motor homing.

I broke down recently on the M56 on our way to Ireland and can say it was terrifying. I knew that the safest place was as far off the road as possible but there was a high fence with barbed wire so not much chance of scaling it! My other worry was both dogs were still in their cages in the back of the car as with only two hands I couldn't use the phone and hold on to both of them. It was so noisy too that the breakdown service had difficulty hearing me as I had them. The number of vehicles that came very close to hitting the car was frightening

Kath

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
"she is sore and bruised ....... "
Please claim under the insurance for Post Traumatic Stress therapy/support. The psychological damage of such an awful happening cannot be underestimated. I note you already show anxiety as you say "the dream being shattered". Seek out professional support to enable the dream to continue.
my thoughts go out to you.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The advice to exit the vehicle is good but doing so in poor weather can just as life-threatening. In winter the part of the M6 concerned is very exposed and survival (or even standing up!) in Winter weather could be problematic. No matter what sort of emergency wet weather gear (if any) is carried in the vehicle it would not be up to more than a half hour wait for help. The hard-shoulder is a poor emergency stopping place in todays traffic conditions - and like the "cyclist blind spot" on trucks needs to be re-thought.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We passed that same point on the M6 only the other day...

So pleased you are both safe and that whilst worrying, your wife's injuries are relatively minor given the impact.

Must of been terrifying for both of you but at least you are here to talk about it.

Good luck with the insurance

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Wow u were both so lucky,he must have been looking down on you.glad you are both ok(y)
Brian & Jo

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is very similar to the van that was hit and killing a load of show dogs that was reported in the papers. The passenger was seriously injured another not so bad but still serious as they didn't' get out of the van. There were bit of MH scattered everywhere as nothing except the cab survived the impact.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
While you are all travelling the motorways and following vehicles in line,if you can,when approaching a stationary vehicle on the hard shoulder,watch the vehicles in front. They tend to drift into the hard shoulder area,i think it's called."lineing up". There are many poor misfortunate vehicle recovery drivers who have been killed,seriously maimed,or disabled through this,by lorries,vans or cars.
So,GET OUT, and up the bank if at all possible. I took a Haz Chem course a few years ago,it was totaly differant from the one i took years before,along the lines of,"Don't let yourself become part of the accident,due care,but..." So i say again.
GET OUT and AWAY"
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back