Greece (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Thinking of going to Greece soon and was thinking of using the ferry from Bari or Brindisi to Igoumenitsa. Has anyone used this route, do you need to pre-book ferries and any idea of ferry costs please?:mad:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This company was recommended here recently and apparently prices the same as going direct to the ferry operator.

http://www.viamare.com

From my (limited) research unless you really want to drive to the end of Italy you are much better off getting one of the ferries from further north. Costs are very similar.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have done this several times and I would definitely book. If you travel with Superfast/Anek you can book 'camping on board' which means you can stay in your van overnight but have access to all the facilities on board and also have the use of toilets and showers on the camping deck - a really great way to travel. We usually book online direct with Superfast/Anek.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. We plan to travel down to Lefkas and probably across to Kefalonia.
What Italian ports do you recommend in the Superfast ferry?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
According to today's paper ! Greece is not the place to be at the moment , immigrants took over.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
According to today's paper ! Greece is not the place to be at the moment , immigrants took over.

Be prepared to make a quick exit overland as situation looks precarious! Have plenty of cash and a full tank!:censored:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. We plan to travel down to Lefkas and probably across to Kefalonia.
What Italian ports do you recommend in the Superfast ferry?
I wouldn't go from Venice as it seems to take ages and you now depart from the new port which is very industrial and you don't get a view of Venice. Ancona is the most northerly port so it depends how long you want to spend in Italy. Bari is the alternative which is about 5 hours further south from Ancona. Personally I prefer Bari - it somehow seems more friendly and
Trip to Greece in Motorhome 2013 002 (6).JPG
accessible.
We have stayed in Lefkas in the motorhome on a very nice small site - no marked out pitches and surrounded by olive trees run by a lovely Greek man called John (Yiannis).

Deleted User
We used Anek superfast camp on board couple months ago from mainland Greece, Patra, to Italy, Bari.
Can read our account on our blog shown in signature, there is a separate tab from home page about the ferry.

Lin :)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We arrived at Igoumenitsa yesterday sailing from Bari on Superfast 1...easy check in , fun camping on board with beautiful sunset leaving Bari and similar sunrise arriving in Greece the following morning . Showers and toilets on the COB deck...
image.jpg

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
This was sad to see though...the remains of the Anek ferry that caught fire at sea during the Winter...moored up at Bari with the burnt out vehicles still on board.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 7

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Be prepared to make a quick exit overland as situation looks precarious! Have plenty of cash and a full tank!:censored:

I'd respectfully suggest that is a load of bollox...:)

Lefkada feels just the same as normal...friendly , relaxed and quiet.

The ATM's are working fine , the sun is shining and the food and wine excellent quality and reasonably priced....cheap by UK standards.

Not a Daily Mail reader in sight..

Bliss...(y)

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

The ATM's are working fine , the sun is shining and the food and wine excellent quality and reasonably priced....cheap by UK standards.

Bliss...(y)
Absolutely correct, everything is carrying on as normal= we are in Kefallinia for 3 months

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
That's good to hear...(y)

We are now at Camping Erodios by the beautiful Navarino Bay in the Southern Pelopennese for the foreseeable future.

Currently 23C and clear blue skies with a refreshing breeze...

As with you everything seems absolutely normal here..:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We sail from Anaco in September on Miloan Lines with their camper offer which gives you a 2 berth cabin & 30% discount on all meals, the ferry we were booked on, on 15th is now not running so they gave us options of 14th or 16th & freel meals as compensation.

As for EU/Euro, not worried about it at all, if anything were to happen it will be a slow drawn out affair probaly months if not years to sort out & Greece need tourists.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Bliss...(y)
Things are indeed normal now it's what happens if the country runs out of money to pay civil servants and pensions and cash to put in their ATMs.

The prospect isn't stopping me starting to plan a trip there next year but if I was there now I would make sure I had plenty of cash with me at all times and plenty of fuel in the tank.

We may find out as early as next week what the future holds for them. Many talking about "when" not "if" at the moment.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not sure I'd want to be there on 30 June or shortly afterwards if they hit the EU Eject button. What's the point of having a whole pile of Euro cash if it's no longer the legal tender of the country? I can't imagine Drachmas becoming available overnight, and the Euro/Drachma exchange rate could be anything. Interesting times ahead - countries in crisis look after their own people first, not tourists.

British-Character-Love-Of-Keeping-Calm-Cartoons-Punch-Magazine-Pont-1937-05-05-484.jpg

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Situation very precarious! But I still think Germany can't afford to see Greece fail as contagion will follow. with Italy and Spain in dire straights the whole thing could topple. Only time will tell! But would not like to be there if and when the money and fuel run out.....

Greece the basket case of Europe!:(

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Reports on Beeb news last night of a 1 billion Euro a day run on Greek banks as investors try to recover their savings ahead of D-Day. Banks are already needing to borrow heavily to meet the increased demand for cash. Also of concern, Greek businesses having to pay cash to buy stock in as their credit is already considered worthless - how's that going to affect food and fuel suppliers? Worth considering that currencies stand or fall on the public's confidence in them as a means of exchange, and not in the actual value of the coins and notes themselves, which is virtually zero.

Putin is waiting in the wings, and he'd be rubbing his little hands with glee if it wasn't for the huge bag of Roubles he's carrying for the Greek government.

Deleted User
I believe the home office advice is to take plenty of cash and not to rely on credit/debit cards or ATMs. I would be concerned travelling around with a lot of cash especially if it is know that as a tourist you are likely to be doing so. No matter which country you are visiting there will be those who will try to exploit the situation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back