Now I'm A Very Easy Going Guy But.......... (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
For those of you who use French supermarket checkouts, you will be very aware of Madame Le Cheque who has an overloaded trolley but determinedly repacks everything into it's allocated shopping bag and will not be rushed. The scanned items pile up next to her but she still fusses to put things in the correct bag. Then, eventually, out comes the cheque book with all that entails. You might smile when it happens once but 2 days running is a bit much.
Yesterday, having patiently stood in the queue behind such a lady, I then called in for some supermarket diesel. I couldn't believe my eyes when the driver (90ish) in front of me at the cash kiosk decided to pay by cheque - from the seat of his car.
Oh well c'est la vie.
Vive La France

The wine is very nice

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Just out of curiosity, did you notice how much she spent ?

Last time I was queuing behind such a lady (yes, they are a common sight) she spent nearly 300euros on groceries...

I did feel a little inadequate for a moment, I don't recall doing a shop that big in my entire life !

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I am a woman who won't be rushed when packing my bags too. I'm a dab hand at doing it quickly though. I place my stand up bags in the bottom of the trolly. Put heavy things through first, so they don't squash other items.
It's an art ::bigsmile:
I refuse to chuck everything in willy nilly.
But then I put it on the conveyer belt in order of packing , so it goes through easier to pack. I don't let anyone make me feel rushed when I'm spending well over £100 on groceries.
I don't pay by cheque though. Either cash or switch card. So that saves some time:imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am a woman who won't be rushed when packing my bags too. I'm a dab hand at doing it quickly though. I place my stand up bags in the bottom of the trolly. Put heavy things through first, so they don't squash other items.
But then I put it on the conveyer belt in order of packing , so it goes through easier to pack. I don't let anyone make me feel rushed when I'm spending well over £100 on groceries.
I don't pay by cheque though. Either cash or switch card. So that saves some time:imoutahere:
Fair enough, I do the same. However it is ever so slightly annoying when the person in front is completely surprised when they realise that they have to pay. Then spend 10 minutes fishing out money, card and the dreaded vouchers, most of which will not scan........

Deleted User
Another things that annoys us and not just in France but also Spain & Portugal is the checkout lady chatting away to the customer in front and generally dawdling about.

When it's our turn the floodgates open and we don't have time to get the stuff into the trolley let alone bags but we have a strategy.......go slow and do as the locals do :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
This week I did a shop at Sainsburies online. £10 off and free delivery. Plus there's a 25% off wine prosecco and champagne.
So I got 18 bottles of my fave ! Which were already 2 for £14 instead of £10 each.
I bought all the bubble baths , shower gels, shampoos , washing powder, fabric conditioner our 5x6 pint cartons of milk we go through a week :Eeek:and all the other heavy things I get like potatoes etc. I took advantage of the half price freezer offers and 2 for 1 's etc.
Very easy. Delivered to my kitchen door.
I always do it when they send me the £10 off and free delivery codes.
Daft not to.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As Mr Matamoros says, it is all a matter of "tuning in" to the local culture.

I now expect a wait at a Portuguese check out. The girls often have a chat even after everything is packed away and paid for... especially if a baby is present!

In the larger supermarkets I choose my checkout carefully.

I always go to the one with the most attractive young lady at the till.

JJ :cool:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
French banks charge for a debit card---about €4 a month I think.
A lot of French people don't want to or can't pay this so cheque use is widespread (I.D card used with cheque and also your home address is printed on French cheques)
I used to listen to audio books on an iPod in the supermarket, helped pass the time in the queue.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

I now expect a wait at a Portuguese check out. The girls often have a chat even after everything is packed away and paid for... especially if a baby is present!

Easily found as well. It's the one with the longest queue and it's full of slobbering old men!:whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
French person paying by cheque at a French supermarket is usually quicker than a card, they only have to sign it & the cashier pops it in her machine that prints the payee & amount.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Last year in France I definitely noticed the slow progress at tills. We wanted to get to the next Aire before it filled up and I was so frustrated when the check out operator in the supermarket chatted pleasantly for what seemed like ages. Off then to get diesel and the same thing happened. Decided eventually that the French have a more laid back attitude to time and it's probably healthy - unless you're in a hurry, then it's bad for the blood pressure.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Exactly the same as here. Except that we are spoilt for choice as they are normally all stunners.
Another is never use the one nearest entrance/exit as anyone coming in wanting info/exchange etc; makes straight for it & enters into a conversation with the girl who is just as likely then to have to ring someone on the internal phone..................
Beware the trolley /basket on its own.......it's saving a place in the queue.
Another speciality practiced by all is remembering you've forgotten something whilst it is all being scanned & trotting off to get it.:D

Then there is the older persons favourite of bypassing the queue as they've "only a loaf & milk/one egg" etc.lol:LOL:
It's all good for a laugh , except when you are in a rush!!:D

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have come to the conclusion that I have a split personality.
If my better half is with me in a UK supermarket checkout queue she disowns me completely as I stand there tutting and muttering as the lady in front faffs about. They often wait for everything to have been passed the magic beam, then start getting bags opened, then slowly load the trolley back up, then decide to look for the supermarket vouchers, the loyalty card and eventually the bit of plastic to pay with.
It may sound sexist but I have always been led to believe that women can multi-task and men cannot. Well as far as I am concerned that theory goes out the window in a supermarket.
BUT when we are in our local supermarket in France I will happily wait while exactly the same shenanigans take place, including waiting while their fruit and veg are taken back to the fruit and veg area to be weighed and ticketed on the machine there you're supposed to use - and it's usually the furthest point from the check-outs - and while they go to look for the item they forgot to pick up earlier.
I usually avoid the check-out manned by Veronique as she knows everyone entering the store and has to check up on their health and that of their family but sometimes I forget or they do a change of personnel after I have joined the queue. I think they wait until I am there before they play that one. She also has a habit of glancing through the newspaper or magazine if they are buying one.
But other than an occasional sigh I just wait patiently and keep smiling.
It must be something in the air that brings on this change in me.
That does all change however when we shop in Lidl. There it's a race to get stuff back in the trolley as they are the fastest check-outers in Europe and they add to the delight by having just one check-out open most of the time. And their check-outs have the smallest area after the magic panel on which to put the scanned items.
No time for dawdling in Lidl.
My apologies to you ladies who are efficient at the check-out but you're in a very small minority in my experience.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
The usual scenario in France is to get in the shop and the person on the till is busy chatting to everybody in front of you for 10 minutes each, it seems to be the done thing in smaller villages. You just learn to chill and get used to it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You obviously never shop at Aldi or Lidle then Bev.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we could learn a lot from the French with their lack of living off credit!:rolleyes:

can you just imagine living within your means catching on over here? hell will freeze over first:giggle:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You obviously never shop at Aldi or Lidle then Bev.

Ahh your wrong Pappajohn. I shop at lidl often. In fact I'm going tomorrow for my fruit , Sandwich meat and some Italian fare. I do try and go first thing, yet it's always busy.
I won't be rushed there either. But I don't dodder about.
As I said I've got it down to a fine art.
Put it on the conveyer , as I want it off. Put my open Canvas bags in the trolly and pack. Switch card or cash ready to pay.
I don't , and never have had a credit card judgemental.

I've also stopped letting all and sundary go before me , with only a few items, Unless I'm loading the conveyer.
If I get the glare, I smile and say "sorry but if I let everyone go before me with less items , I'd be here all day"
I'm a regular , my daughters place if work is down the road in Oulton. When they see me coming , with a big trolly full, they usually open another till if there isn't one open already. The staff are great, friendly, chatty And helpful. But then they are bound to be if your spending lots of cash each month with them.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
This week I did a shop at Sainsburies online. £10 off and free delivery. Plus there's a 25% off wine prosecco and champagne.
So I got 18 bottles of my fave ! Which were already 2 for £14 instead of £10 each.
I bought all the bubble baths , shower gels, shampoos , washing powder, fabric conditioner our 5x6 pint cartons of milk we go through a week :Eeek:and all the other heavy things I get like potatoes etc. I took advantage of the half price freezer offers and 2 for 1 's etc.
Very easy. Delivered to my kitchen door.
I always do it when they send me the £10 off and free delivery codes.
Daft not to.

2 for £14 :eek: I won't be buying on any visit to the UK lol

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
2 for £14 :eek: I won't be buying on any visit to the UK lol
It's very nice prosecco actually. 2 for £14 then 25% off makes it only £5.60 a bottle.
Though in France you could probably get a nice champagne for the same price, granted.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It's very nice prosecco actually. Though in France you could probably get a nice champagne for the same price, granted.
I love champagne so a good job I live where I do lol is difficult to get ' foreign ' wines here but Lidl had an Italian week this week so bought some Prosecco for 3 50€ But not tried it yet !!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I love champagne so a good job I live where I do lol is difficult to get ' foreign ' wines here but Lidl had an Italian week this week so bought some Prosecco for 3 50€ But not tried it yet !!
If it's got an orange label and it's the only one they do. It's ok, very drinkable. They do it over here for about £5.50.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If it's got an orange label and it's the only one they do. It's ok, very drinkable. They do it over here for about £5.50.
Ok thanks :) that is the one ! Just thought I would try as seems to be very popular in the UK .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Aldi (and possibly Lidl) have a corporate policy of monitoring their checkout operators' throughput of items across the scanner, and woe betide anyone who doesn't reach their allotted performance target.

Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap, and scan 'em quick. It seems to work as a business model but I'm glad I don't work there.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
That does all change however when we shop in Lidl. There it's a race to get stuff back in the trolley as they are the fastest check-outers in Europe and they add to the delight by having just one check-out open most of the time. And their check-outs have the smallest area after the magic panel on which to put the scanned items.
No time for dawdling in Lidl.
My apologies to you ladies who are efficient at the check-out but you're in a very small minority in my experience.

Apparently the new design Lidl checkout has a chute straight into your trolley!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's the way of life in France. Supermarket checkout operators usually do not start to serve the next customer until the previous one has completed their packing. Just a more leisurely way of doing things.

Manners still matter a great deal in country areas. In our village post office the man in front of me brusquely order some stamps. The counter clerk just folded her arms and stared at him. After he repeated his order for the third time she looked him in the eye and said " Bonjour Monsieur". He realised his error and said "Bonjour Madame". Pleasantries over she then served him.

It is one of the things we love about life over there. There is still time for a chat and good manners prevail. (I exclude Paris from this, bien sur).:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back