Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
Have we done right ,our new motor home is sitting on the drive ready for the off now someone told my husband what a lot of money we have invested for the next ten years ,we had to do fiancé as we did not have that sort of money (who does) anyway this person reckons what with fuel , camp site fees and the monthly repayments it's not worth the investment , now all I can say is we have not gone into this lightly for three half years we have had a much older motor home and along with our beloved 3 dogs we have had some fantastic breaks and for me especially it's where I feel at my happiest , so although I take people opinion with a pinch of salt sometimes there always that thing that twirls around my head that says have I done the right thing xx

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think we all wonder after we bought a new van, if we have done the right thing
But yes you have.
Enjoy it.

Mel

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
no matter what others say if you think you,ve done the right thing then thats all that matters.i definitely think you have done the right thing so get out and enjoy it(y):)
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have only had our PVC for two years..... now done 468 nights, 30000 miles and 13 countries................ never would have had those adventures without a 'van........yup, we did the right thing.

And I would imagine you have too. Don't worry about what others say......it is YOUR life after all (y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You can't take your money with you and what price happiness? The love and enjoyment and happy memories continue far longer after the price has been forgotten :)

It's no one's business except your own what you spend YOUR money on. Just enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
The more you use it the cheaper it is. You could stay in B&B's but my first trip was round scotland last year and we parked up looking out over the sea watching the sunset most evenings. You dont get that in your B&B.
If you only do the standard 3 weeks holiday a year dont get a motorhome, but if you do longer breaks and short breaks then it is a no brainer.
Just back from 6 weeks in france that cost us £700(fuel/sites/tunnel) and we weren't going out of our way to save money. Obviously eat out a bit more but never feels lile a chore coooking in the van.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Let us know in 10 years - my BIL tries to equate the cost of our van to the cost of b&bs, hotels etc. So far, it has cost us £200 a night excluding fees. So far, the wide grin on our faces as we enjoy what we do is worth far more and we've been to far more places than could be provided by static accommodation and even Mr v Careful with Money is coming around to the idea of enjoying life while you can and would like his own mh.

£200 a night is cheap for an hotel suite. (bedroom, lounge, kitchen facilities)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Our friends go on a couple of cruises every year, other friends fly long haul to all sorts of places and posh hotels.
We would hate being thrown in a ship with hundreds of people for a couple of weeks or being stuffed into an aluminium tube for hours.
Our friends think we are a bit bonkers when we buy a new and expensive van but we just love the life style. Drifting off to wherever you happen to fancy, when you fancy and parking up overlooking some fabulous views does it for us.
Each to his own.

Richard.

I've been cruising and enjoy certain types of cruise....... however you are never in one place long enough to really explore - it's just a taster of the place. Cruising is great for places you couldn't visit any other way (like Greenland) but I want to go to Portugal and Northern Spain in the van to visit places we didn't have time to see when calling in for a half day, or even a day.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Opinion is seldom sought but often given!! Could it be a bit of the 'green eyed monster'?

Just enjoy, you have already proved it the lifestyle for you.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: We've just got home after spending 6 weeks wandering around Wales. On average we spent £10 a night on site fees. Like a lot of other funsters have said though, it's not just about the money. We've met a lot of very interesting people, other funsters, made a lot of new friends and seen some wonderful places. We woke up each morning to a beautiful view and the only difficult decision was to decide what to do for the day because we were spoiled for choice. We rarely stay more than 2 or 3 nights anywhere and enjoy the freedom of being able to decide to stay somewhere for as long as we like. This trip out we spent, on average, £10 a night on site fees and our 6 week holiday cost little more than if we had stayed at home. Most people we meet are very envious of our lifestyle. So we think you've definitely done the right thing. Stop worrying and enjoy the freedom of going where you want, when you want and taking as much time as you want and making new friends along the way. What could be better ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would say you have done the right thing! I think you will have more happiness and enjoyment than the guy who's an 'expert' :moon2: on putting a damper on things.
What is the point of having a life, if you 'aint going to enjoy it?
Happy travels! :clap2:

Craig

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We are getting our new Pvc on Fri, had current one for only 11 months, but love the life, in those 11 months 5 have been overseas and 50% of remaining months out and about in Uk. Buying the van last June convinced us to try out very early retirement and so far its going great hence the upgrade coming on Friday, live your life as you want, it's yours to do as you wish and I bet like our 3 dogs if yours could talk they would tell you how grateful they are you are able to take 'em with you :)

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
You (any person) buys a nice motorhome and parks it on their drive.

Nice neighbour sees it and says, "that's nice, you'll enjoy going away and having fun..." They are happy for you and want to make you feel good. :)

Jealous neighbour sees it and says, "blimey that's a waste of money, I wouldn't have wasted my cash on one of those..." They are unhappy that you have something nice and want to make you feel bad. :sick:

Every time nice neighbour sees you going off for a trip in the mh they will wave and smile and be happy that you are enjoying your life. Their happiness will grow a little as a result.

Every time jealous neighbour sees you going off on a trip in the mh they will pretend they haven't seen you and they will be annoyed that you are enjoying life more than they are. Their happiness will shrivel and die a little as a result.

Result: You are happy, nice neighbour is happy, jealous neighbour is unhappy.

Seems a fair result to me.

When we purchased ours last year, almost without exemption, people told us that is was a great thing to do and that they wished that they could do the same. The exception was one person who somehow managed not to notice this huge new vehicle on our drive and has hardly spoken to us since!

I have worked hard all my life and how I spend my money is my business and how you spend your money is your business.

Feel pleased for those who are happy with you and feel sorry for those who are not (or at least ignore them).

Well done on having the 'bottle' to make your dreams come true. :D

KH

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We used to rent motorhomes so that we could go on holidays, and brilliant though the company that we used was, it was a faff booking the van, and then arranging to collect etc. The whole point of motorhoming is to just up sticks and off whenever the wanderlust sets in.
Anyway, long story short, my wife and I came into some money last year, and after much deliberation we decided that we would take the plunge and purchase our own motorhome. Since then, pretty well every weekend it has been out on the road. Our first European adventure in our own motorhome is looming ever closer.
We have spent much more time together as a family doing the things we enjoy doing. On reflection, there is nothing else we could have purchased that would have given us this much pleasure!

Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are on your side, you are totally right to do what you've done, you've already owned one and this new one will enhance your enjoyment, I think the green eyed monster of jealousy is rearing its ugly heads, its so easy to put people down and try and shake their confidence, as has been said by others previously, you know the pleasure and fun of being a MH owner, and what it gives you, so enjoy. Where you going on your first run out with it and if you see a plain blue ford van, remember it might contain some funsters, go on give is a wave don't be shy, please give us a wave as no one else does, gawd love you(y):rock::clap:

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
We always wanted a MH ,having never had a caravan or camped , when the time arrived that we were able to buy our van 2 years ago we went for it . We had researched , read dozens of books and magazines , trawled through all the forums to try and get it right , but nothing had prepared us for the sheer enjoyment , pleasure and fun we have had MHoming in the last 2.5 years . Just go for it , you will not regret it .

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Best money you have ever spent enjoy it while you are able and S** anyone else.

Upvote 0

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Last June after much research we took delivery of Freddie. Just under 14,000 miles and 7 countries later we have absolutely no doubt we have made the right decision. We have never been motor homing before and we love it. We have trips planned right through to the end of next year.
Several friends and neighbours have said we wish we could do what you have done. Even our GP is seriously considering buying one when he retires!
No question, no doubt, you have cracked it, for pure pleasure and enjoyment. Plus what use is money when you've gone!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I am with all of the above, over a 5 year period we spent the equivalent of over 1 year in our last motorhome. Changing scenery, always a comfy bed, noisy neighbours? just move. we totaled up what we spent on our 8 week break last year, would have been hard pushed to get a 4 star AI holiday for 2 weeks for the same money. No contest, even at the end you will have an asset which can be sold, should you ever want to. Enjoy, ignore the doubters, just remember it could be an expensive garden ornament.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
The worst critics of motorhomes would be those that have probably never used one, wouldn't they?

It's a bit like Harley Davidson or Goldwing critics.... they've never owned or ridden one and don't see the point.

I say it's their loss.

I've had the best holidays of my life since I started motorhoming four years ago. I haven't been on a plane for nearly five years, and I don't want to.

It's not cheap but you won't know how much it's cost you until you eventually sell it.

In years to come you'll regret the things you didn't do far more than the things you did.

Stop worrying. Enjoy it.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
There was a thread about the cost of motor homing a few months back and most thought it cost the same as a decent hotel.

But we have just come back from ten weeks touring Spain and France, our third long tour in three years.

I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much staying in different hotels and every night you Use it brings the cost down.

I suspect you will soon enjoy the freedom a motorhome gives that any hotel cannot. (y):)

Upvote 0

shootingstar1954

Free Member
Feb 28, 2015
Woodbridge, suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sandhurst
Exp
im a newbie
I always fancied a motorhome and looked at many. Last year i decided that i would rather buy one while i am still young and working instead of waiting till retirement age. So i dipped into my savings and took the plunge. No regrets whatsoever As im self employed, we can now have our cake and eat it. So , as im writing this, we are off to France for two weeks tommorow!
I say , live YOUR life the way you want, having a M.H will provide you with a lifestyle that others can only dream of. Enjoy.:)

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Ask people who cast aspertions on your expenditure what they spend their money on-cigarettes, booze, knick-knacks that don't have a use?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back