Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We do the waving bit and Good Morning on site etc.
One thing I have noticed,particularly in France is a very positive reaction to the Welsh Dragon on our number plates (y) people stand in front discussing it :) So,when asked what nationality we are it's 'Galloise' and we 'habite' Pays de Galle-then they try to engage me in an animated conversation about rugby,about which I know little enough in English and absolutely 'Porthcawl' in French :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Etiquette ?
"Code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior acording to contemporary conventional norms within society,social class,or group" Or that was one of the quotes i came across,while trying to get a broader idea of what Etiquette was. Some of them are super. It appears to have started out as a sort of behavior code for Knights when in the monarchs company.
Best one..." Use your turn indicator 50% more than your middle finger " mmmm. You never saw the Stage coach drivers in the Roy Rogers/Gene Autry films waving their fingers about when being chased by outlaws or Native American Indians.... yes,those as well.
As said before,waving,it has not been in any,"Rules" books/leaflets that come with any m/homes we have had,i don't wave, i don't kiss women on both cheeks when meeting them here in Portugal,although it seems to be the first thing people.."embrace?" when coming over here, it did not happen in England.
Please don't take my non waving as a personal insult to you or yours,it is just the way i am..Anti-social? NO! just a misunderstood,shy,retireing/retired ex Juggernaught Jockey,or to put it another way,someone who does not want to toe a non existant line. Is there really a class system still at work in todays world ?
That's me off into the sunshine,stay well,stay lucky,check your wheel nuts and your "U" bolts.
Tea Bag.
PS. Again,check your bottoms,they all point towards the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Try to relate to this example in relation to cyclists:
"our guide Mikael Colville-Andersen showed us a photo of a vacuum cleaner. (Yes, a vacuum cleaner.) For Copenhagen residents, he explained, a bicycle is like a vacuum cleaner. It’s a tool. We don’t wave to other vacuum cleaner users, Mikael explained, so why would we wave to other bicycle users."
What??? Harvey, a mere TOOL???? Wash your mouth out! Broken Link Removed

EDIT: and he (Harvey the van) has his OWN vacuum cleaner!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When we were on our way to Pickering there was a motor home with a puncture while I was fixing the van for the old copal.
the wife notes a van with a funster sticker in the almost static traffic.
the woman in the passenger seat hid her face with her hands and the driver dropped his head so as not to acknowledge her. must have seen our old wreck of a van
But fortunately I have encountered very lital snobbery with in motorhome fun
happy waving
bill(y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Usually wave, but rarely on the Motorway.

On our first trip up to Yorkshire we passed a new Bailey Van with the 2 most enthusiastic wavers you have ever seen you could almost feel their enjoyment beaming out, it brightened up our whole journey. So at least once on every trip when on a single carriageway we pick a van and wave very enthusiastically rather than just the usual wave. Must seem a bit mad to the other van, but it makes us smile.
c0202.gif

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Our trouble is that we wave at Motorhomers even when we are in the car. Get some weird looks!

Now I'm getting about more on my new mobility scooter everyone seems to wave at me when I'm on the road. Don't think its a fist being raised 'cause there is usually a smile attached to the wave. In reality its because I'm walking the dog as well.

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
I remember some years ago bound for a lovely campsite with pub attached at Slimbridge, saw several motorhomes en route and we all exchanged the hand wave with smile attached. When I arrived saw 2 of them had beaten me to the site and expected to get a cheery smile from both.....well I was out of luck there as they could hardly bother to look at me let alone a friendly greeting!....Well sod them I thought as I wandered back to my wagon, and was just about to climb aboard when my near neighbours travelling in a VW camper shouted accross ''G'day Mate want a beer''.....they turned out to be a couple of Aussies roaming Europe, and what a friendly and great couple they were!.....unlike the frosty UK registered buggers I'd seen earlier....Well I was so impressed by the Aussie couple that I decided to visit OZ asap....It took me a few years but eventually I bought a pop top over there and had a great time for 6 months with much mutual hand waving and happy beer swigging!

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Well Fireman Sam, could the 'deep inside misery' just be trapped wind!?.:eek:......Bye the way CWH I see you are a resident of the great ''Oggieland''.........whereabouts ? :)...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bye the way CWH I see you are a resident of the great ''Oggieland''.........whereabouts ?
Porthtowan
I think we may have sort-of met at Kernow Kampers?

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
I often feel peoples possessions are worn as a badge and used as a declaration of their wealth. How sad, if only their actions towards others were seen as an illustration of their wealth we would be buried in assistance and kind gestures, and waved off our feet?
The fewer the declarations of wealth usually the more interesting the person. Confidence is not needing to declare ones wearwithall. I never declare my wearwithall!!! I reckon it could be illegal!!

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
If age of wagon indicates amount of waving going on then my ancient 96 Ford would habitually be steered by one hand......well that is if my sprung false hand decides to retire ''hors de combat'' !!

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
If age of wagon indicates amount of waving going on then my ancient 96 Ford would habitually be steered by one hand......well that is if my sprung false hand decides to retire ''hors de combat'' !!

Ours is a '91 Swift Kontiki. As I'm so busy waving I get Mrs Simon to steer it. Works out quite well except for mini roundabouts, we find, when her flailing arms can interfere with my manic waving.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm a waver..... wave at other motorhomes. horse boxes, van, travelling shops....... If people wave back it makes me smile - if not it's their loss.

I've also been known to wave when in the car and even when on foot :)
This is me, even from the back of the motorbike. Even got a smile from the police van i waved at.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We would love to join in the waving and being friendly, but as you will see from the photo all you would think it is, is blue van man, it has a roll out awning on the near side but not easily seen, we are not trying to camouflage ourselves, I think virtually 99.9% would not recognise it as a camper van, and would probably ignore us, having worked out from a distance it's a plain van man!! Not one of us, we probably don't expect to be waved at

image.jpg image.jpg

:(:cry:(n)

Last edited:

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Love the roof top 'air brake'......should slow you down a bit if yer wheel brakes start to fade!!(y)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Love the roof top 'air brake'......should slow you down a bit if yer wheel brakes start to fade!!(y)

Yeah apparently it's better then the parachute at the rear, which actually could be our sleeping bags got loose:LOL:, although it gets a bit difficult on take off and landing

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Slightly off topic but coming up the M6 a few weeks back at a steady 60mph I noticed a motorhome doing about 75 about to overtake me,
I also noticed that his main roof vent was open so being a Good Samaritan point with one finger upwards to indicate the open vent,
Boy did the other motor homers wife get the hump or what!!
She gave me the finger with so much venom that it shocked me,
Just trying to do a good deed can be misconstrued (n)

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Don't worry mate, your upward pointing finger just reminded her that she hadn't had a good shag for the last year, and wanted you to feel the pain too!!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
He gives me the Heebie jeebies, Mr bean that iso_O I appreciate we all have different funny bones but he's not funny, just, odd. @whoa
IMHO

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
He gives me the Heebie jeebies, Mr bean that iso_O I appreciate we all have different funny bones but he's not funny, just, odd. @whoa
IMHO

My hubby was at university with Rowan Atkinson - same year, different subjects. I am not going to disagree with your summary.

He has two living brothers. The elder, Rodney, is as like to him in looks as possible without them being twins and is also rather odd.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I

I did not realise that there was an etiquette "Thou shalt wave "being one of the commandments .

I've told the friend who will arrive on Saturday and then come north with us in Buffy that waving is a legal requirement for the person in the passenger seat. And that the person so seated must keep a score of waves given and received so that a report and schedule can be submitted to the relevant authority.

Please don't spoil my fun :)

Our van has stickers on front screen and back window.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back