Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
we find the Hymar and RV owners the worst offenders for not waving back.

We Classic Hymer chaps are choosey about whom we wave to, you know.

One just doesn't wave at everybody.

It is all a matter of breeding.

Newer than 1990 vans don't have the same upbringing...

JJ :cool:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
an artificial hand on top of a loosely coiled spring on the dashboard
I have one for the night-time..... :D

night wave.JPG

Deleted User
I often don't do the wavy thing (seem to get a lot less now we're in the PVC it's stealthy you see!!)

But I would never ignore a good morning/afternoon, Bonjour/Bonsoir etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Get yourself an American Rv and find out about being ostracized.:D
People not waving back is understandable but on site...... Not speaking is just i'll mannered.Worst of all are caravanners.
Then again we take all the water,all the electric etco_O don't we !!
Having said that we 've found some Rvers so far
up themselves it's laughable.
Manners cost nowt.(y)

Regards

JohnP:)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
I also think you are reading too much into it .... If i am daydreaming I probably don't notice and dont wave .... I am not a snob ... just on holiday chilling out .... Or maybe busy doing something, sometimes I remember to wave at everyone sometimes I don't. Like puddleduck I sometimes wave when I am not in the motorhome!
What really annoys us is when we give way to other drivers or hold open doors etc and people cant be bothered to offer acknowledgment or say thank you. Now that is just ignorant.

Meet lovely people everywhere we go some in expensive motorhomes some not ...l doesnt matter to me what they are camping in as long as they are friendly and considerate. To be honest I find more inverted snobbery around than the other way around.

In my experience green eyed monsters are often unfriendly.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I'm a waver..... wave at other motorhomes. horse boxes, van, travelling shops....... If people wave back it makes me smile - if not it's their loss.

I've also been known to wave when in the car and even when on foot :)

We too are serial wavers and I'm glad it's not just us that get caught out by horse boxes etc!

But I have encountered some this past couple of weeks some who
Totally blanked me when i said good morning, and some who dont bother waving... worst offenders seem to be those in new motorhomes for some reason (I know theyre probably a minority) is this a BMW vs ford mondeo syndrome maybe?

The non wavers, I find, are usually in newer or rental motorhomes. When I'm feeling charitable, I put it down to them not seeing us or not knowing the etiquette.

When I'm feeling less so I put it down to the fact that they are one, some, or all of the following:
1) blind (both of us waving like loons in the front seats, my parents waving from the back if they are with us)
2) jealous because they are renting and we own ours
3) p155ed off because it cost them more to rent for a couple of weeks than it cost me to buy ours
4) they're grumpy
5) they have an innate lack of social skills, thus rendering them unable to respond to a simple greeting.

We are wavers! We will continue to be wavers! Embrace the wave!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have met two groups of funsters on aires in France that didn't want to speak , I asked one bloke what his name was on fun and he just stared blankly as if I was talking Chinese, he had a fun sticker in his van and I pointed to it but then he said I don't have anything to do with them now, and that was it.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I
We too are serial wavers and I'm glad it's not just us that get caught out by horse boxes etc!

The non wavers, I find, are usually in newer or rental motorhomes. When I'm feeling charitable, I put it down to them not seeing us or not knowing the etiquette.

When I'm feeling less so I put it down to the fact that they are one, some, or all of the following:
1) blind (both of us waving like loons in the front seats, my parents waving from the back if they are with us)
3) p155ed off because it cost them more to rent for a couple of weeks than it cost me to buy ours
4) they're grumpy
5) they have an innate lack of social skills, thus rendering them unable to respond to a simple greeting.

I did not realise that there was an etiquette "Thou shalt wave "being one of the commandments .

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Puddleduck, had to laugh, I have to admit ive been caught out with the horse boxes and morrisons vans :)

Hey Big Lad, I think you better be careful if you have to take your driving test again, if you can't see a horse box what chance have you got reading a number plate at 25 yards:LOL:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
..... or just being too scared to take their hands off the wheel (driver) or to take their hands off the wheel (passenger). :D

I'm sure we missed a lot of wavers on our first trip out (though actually we didn't see that many mh's over the 3 months, except those parked up on site) because we were trying to get used to:
  1. driving something bigger than an A2 & an MX5 - nerve-wracking
  2. driving something more expensive than an A2 & an MX5 combined - terrifying
  3. new comfortmatic gearbox
  4. trying out cruise control
  5. rear view camera - not being able to move your head & change the view
  6. enormous split door mirrors - working out your position in relation to the kerb
  7. being careful of new speed limits
  8. new way of anticipating on-coming vehicles on very narrow roads
  9. etc etc etc

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
I did not realise that there was an etiquette "Thou shalt wave "being one of the commandments .

Not a commandment at all, merely etiquette, as referred to at the very start of the first post in this thread :)

Now, ive not been motorhoming long, but I understand the etiquette regarding the general waving when you see a fellow motorhomer coming the other way....

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
..... or just being too scared to take their hands off the wheel (driver) or to take their hands off the wheel (passenger). :D

I'm sure we missed a lot of wavers on our first trip out (though actually we didn't see that many mh's over the 3 months, except those parked up on site) because we were trying to get used to:
  1. driving something bigger than an A2 & an MX5 - nerve-wracking
  2. driving something more expensive than an A2 & an MX5 combined - terrifying
  3. new comfortmatic gearbox
  4. trying out cruise control
  5. rear view camera - not being able to move your head & change the view
  6. enormous split door mirrors - working out your position in relation to the kerb
  7. being careful of new speed limits
  8. new way of anticipating on-coming vehicles on very narrow roads
  9. etc etc etc

Haha, love it! :D

Yes, I should add "6) overcoming the challenges of a new vehicle" (fair summary?) to the list :)

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Translation please . What is Mardy ?
From Urban Dictionary

"A word popularly used in the Nottingham/East midlands area of england. Words with a similar meaning include: stroppy, moody, sulky, grumpy, childish etc.
1) Oh, stop being so mardy!

2) Ooh look at her, she's in a right mardy!"

I'm guessing you're not an Arctic Monkeys fan ;)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For us Yorkies, it translates well as "maungy"
smiley-angry020.gif

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for educating me . Arctic Monkeys no. Hendrix , Clapton and the Stones yes ! A generation thing I guess .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The wave has puzzled me for a while, I do tend to wave if I notice the other MH but not in the slightest bother if he doesn't or I miss them.

As for people not talking in campsites, this happens a lot and what surprises me the most is people with older units seem to think people with fancy units don't speak, I can assure I've been ignored by both and made very good friends with both so I think this is a myth or certainly is where I'm concerned.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
worst offenders seem to be those in new motorhomes for some reason (I know theyre probably a minority)

We've just traded in our 10 year old van for a new one - so I guess I'm off your Xmas card list then :)

Deleted User
Blimey, didn't realise I was being thought of so harshly by the wavers when I didn't respond to their manic arm gestures :crying1:

Or that not waving meant I would be categorised on some bizarre list.:wasntme: (On which I'm struggling to find myself!!)

I think the whole thing probably started when m/h's were quite rare beasts and even I have been known to "throw one up" in remote areas of France when you don't see too many Brit vanners. But coming away from a coastal trip when every other vehicle is seemingly a camper of some sort, the waving is comparable to running through a football crowd high fiving everyone!!

Having said all that, tap on my door when I'm parked up and there will be a cold one in the fridge with your name on it, and SWMBO will talk the back legs off the best of you.

Oh and you can put your outside telly on, let your kids play outside, own a dog, run a genny, do what ever you like and I promise not to start a thread about you on here.

Unlike the waving, but manic judgemental depressives amongst you :happy:

I shall remember to sing this to myself next time I fail to respond to a wavist :giggler:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I can assure I've been ignored by both and made very good friends with both so I think this is a myth or certainly is where I'm concerned.

Interesting that you should say that, we took our brand new MoHo up to Newbury a few days ago and Jackie said to me, there seem to fewer waves from oncoming Mo'Homers than there used to be, perhaps it is some form of inverted snobbery.

I'm with Gerry on this one in as much as
"I do tend to wave if I notice the other MH but not in the slightest bother if he doesn't or I miss them."

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As above, thought it was a Yorkshire saying though...we live and learn something new everyday.(y)
Well as a TRUE Tyke, I'd agree - I was brought up with it - and the Arctic Monkeys are, of course, from Sheffield!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

4) they're grumpy

I will decide if and when I will wave or return a wave, its not compulsory. I am not in a newer (2008) or rental motorhome and I certainly don't think I am blind, jealous, pissed off, grumpy or lack social skills. I do think to categories those who don't wave back, when you can have no real idea why they might not have done so falls within the suggested category 4 and or part of category 5.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back