A photo of the day thread (8 Viewers)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Not in the motorhome but at least in the sun. Corfu this morning.

IMG_00000194.jpg

Cheers everyone(y)

IMG_00000196.jpg
IMG_00000194.jpg

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Here is our recent neighbour at Corfe castle site - every evening he would kick off, strange noise followed by a deep rumbling sound. Probably works on the female.

Could someone identify the following bird please - picture quality not as good as I wanted but it was hell of a way off and had the lens fully out, hand held but didn't want to miss it - click and it was gone.

Regards,

Trikeman.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Here is our recent neighbour at Corfe castle site - every evening he would kick off, strange noise followed by a deep rumbling sound. Probably works on the female.

Could someone identify the following bird please - picture quality not as good as I wanted but it was hell of a way off and had the lens fully out, hand held but didn't want to miss it - click and it was gone.

Regards,

Trikeman.
hi trikeman, I took a shot of a little bird , like the one in your second photo a while back and at the time my brother told me what it was... for the life of me I cant remember now , (typical of me ),, but ill post the photo.... think its the same type, and ill ask him again if no one comes up with the answer..
ta andy
P1000110.JPG

P1000111.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Thanks @andy63 - just had a look on the RSPB website and it certainly seems right. It was strange as the Wife, who is not a bird fan, said 'what's that noise'? as she pointed at the bird - it's got hell of a 'ring' to its chirp and quite loud for a small bird.

Again, thanks - the quest is over.(y)

Trikeman. ;)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Not the quality expected but keepers until I get better ones
DSC_0120-XL.jpg

DSC_0121-XL.jpg

DSC_0122-XL.jpg

DSC_0123-XL.jpg

Do you know Andy, I have been trying to catch them on camera taking off - which I see regularly where I work. They streak along 'running' on the water and I wanted to get it from the front where the foot splashes are behind them until getting into the air,,,,,, but alas, every time I have my camera - no play.:cry:

Nice shots there though.(y)
Regards,
Trikeman.;)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Do you know Andy, I have been trying to catch them on camera taking off - which I see regularly where I work. They streak along 'running' on the water and I wanted to get it from the front where the foot splashes are behind them until getting into the air,,,,,, but alas, every time I have my camera - no play.:cry:

Nice shots there though.(y)
Regards,
Trikeman.;)
Just too far and light in the wrong place or they'd all be good :(
DSC_0118-XL.jpg

I took this years ago and the standard I constantly seek
Swan%204-X3.jpg

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That looks lovely, does the pub charge for overnighting there? (are the mackerel in the loch yet?) :D
Overnighting is free so long as you eat or drink something. Don't know about mackerel but signs up saying water is contaminated and not to eat the cockles mussels etc on the beach. Did have a dolphin alongside the boat yesterday. A great sight.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...Don't know about mackerel but signs up saying water is contaminated and not to eat the cockles mussels etc on the beach...
Wonder if that's more about stopping the "self service" competition than contamination?
Would be a shame if the pub didn't get its produce from the loch

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
No, it's a big deal and it's mostly to do with shellfish and is a problem due to some irresponsible people digging them & either eating them or selling them on to food producers. I believe that they can be arrested for digging them in some places.
"Shellfish have a recognised potential for bioaccumulating contaminants and some bivalve species such as mussels, are commonly used as early indicators of local pollution. [.....] The bioaccumulation potential of the shellfish species used for food is particularly relevant in the case of environmental contaminants with long half-lives such as chlorinated dioxins and PCBs."
Broken Link Removed

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So loch fyne doesn't supply loch fyne restaurants (and others) ?
Sad.
Interesting question, so I've been Googling and...
According to their (Loch Fyne Restaurants) website they do:
"Much of the shellfish and smoked fish served in our restaurants still comes direct from the loch and is delivered so fresh you can taste the fresh spring water that tumbles down from the surrounding mountains when you tuck into a delicious Loch Fyne oyster!"
"Our oysters, mussels and langoustines continue to come fresh from Loch Fyne where our sister company, Loch Fyne Oysters, is actively committed to supporting and protecting the loch, its ecology and coastal communities."
So... who knows? My guess is that they may be farmed in a protected environment.
Loch Fyne Oysters is an employee-owned company and still runs the Cairndow Oyster Bar, but the Loch Fyne restaurant chain is owned by Greene King Breweries.
I know there are regular bans on oyster harvesting here in Cornwall (River Fal) due to contamination and the way they feed.
Considering the contaminants include dioxins and PCBs, I think I'd be a bit wary. But then, I don't like shellfish anyway! ;)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting question, so I've been Googling and...
I know there are regular bans on oyster harvesting here in Cornwall (River Fal) due to contamination and the way they feed...
Isn't that the thinking about not eating oysters when there is an 'R' in the month [or is it eating the when there is an 'R' :unsure:]

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
horby 2-6-4.jpg
Whilst on top of Corfe castle, trying to keep my lens off a very leggy redhead :sneaky:(SWMBO was in attendance) I heard a 'peep 'peep' in the distance and saw this little lot trundling along, quite a way off but a stunning site all the same.

Regards,Trikeman. ;)

Isn't that the same 2-6-4 tank modeled by Hornby Dublo?..even number is similar

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Went to a very interesting half day introduction to rock art from the Stone Age. I am sure that I have walked past many a piece of such art but once you start looking it's amazing what you can find.
image.jpg

This particular stone was amazing and well worth the tramp through very wet bogland (in the rain)

Kath

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@Madwife that sounds interesting, where did you do that? Is there much rock art in the area? :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back