LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
before anyone moans that this may not be in the right forum its the only 1 i can find about insurance
does anyone know of a company that will insure a uk registered car for a extended period or even for a full year a car abroad (spain mainly) i want to bring a car out but i cant find any company that insures for extended periods abroad the company im with will only do a max of 3 months in any year period and thats at a cost of 120quid

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Can I keep my UK registered car in Spain?

Yes, but you can only keep it and drive it in Spain for a maximum of 6 months – after that you will have to get it registered onto Spanish plates. Remembering that throughout that time you have to ensure that the car remains fully legal with a UK MOT, road tax and insurance for the full period you intend to stay. If you decide not to put it onto Spanish plates then you have to remove the car from Spain as you are allowed only to drive it in Spain for 6 months in any calendar year on UK plates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
every insurance policey taken out in the eu ,will cover you for the minimum cover required in any eu country for the full term of the policey.
its all part of eu law.(article (2)of the eu directive on motor insurance of civil liberties arising from the use of vehicles (no72/166/cee)and some other non eu states ,eg switzerland.
but safegauard ,saga , coop , are some of the companies that will cover it fully comp.

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Very true Alan. The 3 month bit is the time limit they will extend your fully comp insurance. But you will still have third party cover for the full term
of your policy. So you will be legal - but not fully comp.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
bloody nightmare aint it still i will try the expat l8ers thx dave and everyone else

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I'm covered with the caravan club for 6 months holidays with the car in Spain
Alan

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
bloody nightmare aint it still i will try the expat l8ers thx dave and everyone else
If you are insistent I'll ask on a Spanish forum as a lady on their used a company in South Wales whose name escapes me & they will provide full comp, EU wide yearly cover. Aint cheap though ,£7-800/year if memory serves me right.

Just awaiting a reply.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you are over 50 just use saga .
they do a good breakdown/recovery system.
you need a uk address though as your base.
as far as i know .

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
if you are over 50 just use saga .
they do a good breakdown/recovery system.
you need a uk address though as your base.
as far as i know .
Yes, Saga are good and competitive. I use them for both the motorhome and a car. :) Am I showing my age? :LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i was with saga a few years ago. after an accident in portugal where a drunk local hit the front of my truck. saga aranged a portugese agent to sort that side of it. the truck was repaired but they decided to stop insuring fifth wheelers . i moved to a another company , later i changed to markerstudy . i get 365 foreign cover.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Another possible option is to take out a second insurance policy in Spain. The expat insurers tend to be based in Gibraltar but there are plenty of agents. One of the benefits of Spanish insurance is that they ALL include breakdown recovery cover.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
A "cheap" car in Spain would be expensive over in the UK and to be able to buy one, you would need to register for a NIE number, for which, you need to be able to provide a Spanish address.

:cooler:

Plenty about for 5-600€.:)
No Spanish address is required for an nie number. A uk one can be used.

Another possible option is to take out a second insurance policy in Spain. The expat insurers tend to be based in Gibraltar but there are plenty of agents. One of the benefits of Spanish insurance is that they ALL include breakdown recovery cover.
You could even use a Spanish insurer such as mapfre or Liberty-seguros. They insure foreign vehicles using UK based associates & the benefit is that you are registered on the UK motor insurers data base as Liberty notify on Tuesdays & Fridays of each week all UK vehicles that they have insured.that way you only need the one policy.

I've just remembered who her insurers were.(y)

https://www.stuartcollins.com/

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most ex pats seem to never bring cars back for mot etc . or tax them just drive around with a drunken grin on their face .
some were lifted and crushed a few years ago but that seems to have stopped now .
get a cheap car in uk run it for a while and sell it to another ex pat and make a shilling seems the way .
must be thousands over there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
most ex pats seem to never bring cars back for mot etc . or tax them just drive around with a drunken grin on their face .
some were lifted and crushed a few years ago but that seems to have stopped now .
get a cheap car in uk run it for a while and sell it to another ex pat and make a shilling seems the way .
must be thousands over there.
No up this end of Andalucia ,in Almeria ,where a large amount of foreigners live they are hot on it. To the extent that they'll issue "Re-plate" notices to people on holiday.:D
Guardia Head cook & bottle washer believes that if you have an nie number you are resident & has instructed his blokes that way. Even after the Mayor told him he was a complete half-wit. Still hasn't been sorted.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
stuart collins came back with a quote of £559 + 189 for breakdown jesus its expensive

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
No up this end of Andalucia ,in Almeria ,where a large amount of foreigners live they are hot on it. To the extent that they'll issue "Re-plate" notices to people on holiday.:D
Guardia Head cook & bottle washer believes that if you have an nie number you are resident & has instructed his blokes that way. Even after the Mayor told him he was a complete half-wit. Still hasn't been sorted.
certainly i knew of a few being uplifted a few years ago. yet i also know several that havent gone home in ten years . one i know is on local postcards . its a landmark , ha ha .
but they are clamping down .

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
stuart collins came back with a quote of £559 + 189 for breakdown jesus its expensive
Try eirik@jennifercunningham.net who are an agency for Liberty. I had insurance with them and it was very reasonable. It was a Spanish registered vehicle and I believe they add a small amount if you want to insure a UK registered vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back