Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Greetings all,
Please can someone explain the score regarding payment on the Toll roads in Portugal, as we are heading that way next month?

Terry and Jan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Click on the magnifying glass on the top right of the screen (the "search" facility and type in "Toll Roads Portugal".

This will point you to all the threads and posts on this subject.

Happy reading...

JJ :cool:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Well JJ nothing comes up on my machine when I do that! Anyhow for the benefit of Terry and Jan if they are having the same problem, just ignore them, ( toll roads that is) they only fine the locals and don't bother with UK registered and plated vehicles, honest, just been, no probs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I of course should add that I don't know about "every" toll road in Portugal but Its up to you, the official advice used to be wait until we write to you at your home address, they never did, if your worried the official Portugal Toll website is HERE

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Anyhow for the benefit of Terry and Jan if they are having the same problem, just ignore them, ( toll roads that is) they only fine the locals

Well... if you say so... but I know a Brit down in the Algarve who would disagree with you rather strongly!

Also I suspect you are referring to the electronic toll roads and might be overlooking the old toll roads which issue tickets when you enter the motorway and charge you when you leave...

The search facility works ok on my device... Funsters have explained how to pay on the new electronic tolls on several threads/posts over the years.

JJ :cool:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Electronic toll roads, correcto Mundo dear chap, old toll roads and booths not so, that's kind of why I put down the official web site, mind you I did say, I haven't been charged, which remains correct, looking forward to seeing you soon.

Simon

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When we went a couple of years ago and drove into Portugal from Spain at the Algarve area.

just as you go over the border there was a place where you could register you vehicle and credit card and then with number plate recognition they charged you as you drove along the motorways.

At least thats how I perceived it.

The charges were not outrageous (unlike France)

Lovely country and lovely people. I am sure you will enjoy yourself. (y)

Reactions: JJ

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As MikeD says above, if entering on a motorway look for a lane going off marked Tourists or something like that. There should be a stop line by a machine, make sure you drive right up to the stop line so the camera can read your number plate. I didn't and couldn't understand why the machine wasn't playing.

I didn't think the tolls were cheap but it may vary across the country. I went from one end of the Algarve to the other and then back gain and the cost mounted up. They do helpfully tell you in advance of each section what it is going to cost you.

Of course there is then the whole issue of whether, if and when they ever take the money from your card!

But Portugal is a nice country so best to play by their rules. They were on our side in the Peninsula War when those damned French invaded them. These things should not be forgotten.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When you register for automated payments you get a ticket with your registration that confirms your vehicle is registered (lasts for a year). I've been told that IF you get stopped by the police you're supposed to be able to produce this ticket - probably just another excuse to "fine" tourists.

It is actually quite easy to avoid motorways completely with a little checking of a, dare I say it, ................................. MAP.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
This is hearsay......but I have heard ( hearsay) that if the opposition get in at the next election, they are going to put up barriers at each entrance and exit. This is because, apparently not many drivers are paying and they have worked out that the barriers will pay for themselves in no time at all. Still that will be a couple of years away.......if ever.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
One thing I would say is that the motorways are deserted.

Pedro's is near a motorway but even though I have yet to have had the pleasure to visit. The I know the noise from the motorway will not spoil your visit.

I suspect "spot the next vehicle driving along the motorway" may well be the favourite kids local game.

But the N125 along the Algarve is a bit of a "cart track" and the pennies you pay on the motorway are well worth it.

ps: Pedro's is definitely on my must visit list (y)

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back