Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry have no personal experience of them. A single plate is never going to be as accurate as a proper weighbridge perhaps thats why they apparently allow such large discrepancies as some are suggesting.
Said it before there's only one way to get an accurate weight and that's on a proper weighbridge.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Our MOT station prints out our weights automatically every year. They pay a service charge to the rolling road suppliers who come out now and then and check it and recalibrate as necessary. I think it costs about eight quid to use the public one near us.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
@Forestboy and @mike mcglynn, OK guys whats your verdict on the VOSA roadside drive over weighbridges. Have one near us and I use it regular I have noticed weights can vary on each pass. I usually go over it 2 or 3 times sometimes the readings are the same other times can vary by 20 or 30 kg, is it anything to do with depending how central you drive over or how fast? Always try to keep central & as slow as possible.
usually vosa only use it as a guide . if you seem well over weight they can make you go to a proper weigh bridge.
my experience is vosa are fairly lenient and allow plenty of extra lee way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
No more electric bike Brian, shanks pony from now :RollEyes: and it doesn't weigh much

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On the subject of weights can someone tell me if the read out of the mot brake test is likely to be the axel weights..
It's showing front weight as 1122kg and rear at 1164kg and a total of 2286kg..
I weighed the van a couple years ago and sure it was in order of 2800kg and I've added one or two bits since...so what are the recorded weights on the sheet....
Ta Andy.
View attachment 60721

Yes they are, front & rear.

5% on a dynamic bridge and, in effect 5% on plate bridges too as there is a defence to being overweight in the Road Traffic Act 1988. there are certain conditions that have to be in place to get the defence but, in essence, DVSA (VOSA) will generally allow the 5% tolerance before looking to prosecute (or indeed offer a Graduated Fixed Penalty). DVSA generally allow 5% or a tonne, whichever is the lower.

With a minimum of +/- 150kgs in dynamic mode according to their guidelines.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We weighed the Vario when all the seats were out and we had a spare wheel, carrier, jack and wheelbrace and 1/3 tank of diesel, plus the Mazda Bongo triple seat (now sold)

That came to 4000kg exactly, out of 5990kg gross, with another 400kg available from SVTech should we need it.

The rear axle is plated at 4300kg but is rated for up to 5600kg by Mercedes.

Peter

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
@Forestboy and @mike mcglynn, OK guys whats your verdict on the VOSA roadside drive over weighbridges. Have one near us and I use it regular I have noticed weights can vary on each pass. I usually go over it 2 or 3 times sometimes the readings are the same other times can vary by 20 or 30 kg, is it anything to do with depending how central you drive over or how fast? Always try to keep central & as slow as possible.
Don't confuse the DVSA "dynamic" bridge with the WIMS or "Weigh in Motion Sensor".

The former is very accurate (although it rarely matches the accuracy of a static plate bridge - if a vehicle is moving there must always be some element of weight transfer. The calibration process for a plate bridge is very easy and straight forward - drop sets of weights on it in a prescribed order up to the bridge maximum and, if it matches the known weights provided by Trading Standards, the bridge is deemed to be accurate.

For a dynamic bridge, first the area before and after it is surveyed (can't remember the tolerances allowed here but we are talking miniscule amounts. and the area covered both before and after the bridge must be at least the length of an articulated truck i.e. 16.5 metres. Once that is done three different vehicles (one 2-axle rigid, 1 multi-axle rigid and one articulated vehicle) all loaded and weighed at a known accurate plate bridge are driven slowly over the plate with three runs down the middle, three runs down the extreme left and three runs down the extreme right. Then one run at "overspeed" so that the bridge voids the weight if it cannot read it correctly. All these weights for all 9 runs in all three vehicles cannot be more than 150 kgs from lowest to highest.

the WIMS are stips implanted into the road surface that assess the vehicle type (rigid, artic etc and count the number of axles) and provide a weight for the vehicle or vehicle combination to a remote station a little way down the road (generally a DVSA enforcement site) where the vehicle is then accurately weighed. It is a good way of selecting probable overweight vehicles and therefore not wasting the time of the enforcement officer or the legal driver.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Stuffed and double stuffed.

Just got back from nice flat public weighbridge ( £8 ).

1740, 2960 so front 1220, pretty much as yesterday except I was in the office so the total would be 3040.

I curse Burstner for selling a vehicle with almost zero carrying capacity rear of the driver's seat.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't be so hasty to turn down a genuine offer, no point having the tickets if you can't drive your illegal m/home there.

Thank you for your most generous offer.

Now ..................... OFF.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now in the hands of SV Tech, I've proposed adding an air suspension kit and see what they come up with.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well blow me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had a call from SV Tech. If I fit the air assist kit they can make the rear axel 1900 ( from 1750 ).

B I N G O.

And all down to FUN otherwise I'd never had heard of SV Tech.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Has anybody used the Reich weigh scales and compared the results to a weighbridge, just wondered how accurate these drive over things are in real life.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well blow me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had a call from SV Tech. If I fit the air assist kit they can make the rear axel 1900 ( from 1750 ).

B I N G O.

And all down to FUN otherwise I'd never had heard of SV Tech.

Ask them if you can get a bit more with higher rated tyres as higher rated tyres as well as suspension gave us more upgrade. Might as well get your moneys worth! I seem to remember that they don't charge if you go back for a second bite of the cherry within 12 months if you want to leave it for now! Might as well get it more as you have plenty to go before breaching 3,500Kgs

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ask them if you can get a bit more with higher rated tyres as higher rated tyres as well as suspension gave us more upgrade.

Thank you, will do. If the equation is 3200+150=3350 plenty to go, as you say.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ask them if you can get a bit more with higher rated tyres as higher rated tyres as well as suspension gave us more upgrade. Might as well get your moneys worth! I seem to remember that they don't charge if you go back for a second bite of the cherry within 12 months if you want to leave it for now! Might as well get it more as you have plenty to go before breaching 3,500Kgs

minus weight of kit:coffee:

I would get as much as possible and change tyres as well....

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On the subject of weights can someone tell me if the read out of the mot brake test is likely to be the axel weights..
It's showing front weight as 1122kg and rear at 1164kg and a total of 2286kg..
I weighed the van a couple years ago and sure it was in order of 2800kg and I've added one or two bits since...so what are the recorded weights on the sheet....
Ta Andy.
View attachment 60721
Some MoT brake testing equipment (presumably that which has been recently replaced) weighs each axle as it is being tested. Previously the tester had to enter the weight (or it was known from the vehicle details input at the start of the MoT). Brake test results are much more accurate if calculated from the actual axle weight. So the answer is Yes: those are the axle weights at the time of the test.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Some MoT brake testing equipment (presumably that which has been recently replaced) weighs each axle as it is being tested. Previously the tester had to enter the weight (or it was known from the vehicle details input at the start of the MoT). Brake test results are much more accurate if calculated from the actual axle weight. So the answer is Yes: those are the axle weights at the time of the test.
Thanks Tony. ..so the equipment used in my case was capable of weighing the vehicle weight...
I'll have to check it again as the weight at time of test (2286kg ) is considerably less than the 2800kg the last time I weighed it....I would not expect that sort of discrepancy. ...and for peace of mind I like to know roughly what I run at and what load capacity I have...
I don't know anything about the methods used for brake tests or how they are calculated . Before equipment like this was available are you saying they estimated the weight and had to manually calculate the results...just interested. If you can explain..Thanks Andy. .

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorted, apart from a ride to SVT tomorrow to deliver the evidence.

h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Finale..............

Rear axle weighs 1880, uprated from 165o to 1900.
Front weighs 1200, not changed at 1650.
Total 3220 which is pretty much original max but now uprated to 3500.

WE CAN GO !!!

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

Next stop Le Mans.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I would have thought you would have been able to go up to 3.85 tonne
Or is that due to not updating tyres

Try running at about 40 psi for a soft ride
And play around with pressures till you get it right for your prefrence
I run at about 60 psi when it's windy it helps to stop rock in back of van

Ps when coming back overload with duty free :whistle:
blow it up to 100psi before boarding ferry then let it back down after you clear docks at home
Customs do look at sag in vans when coming though customs :rolleyes:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Finale..............

Rear axle weighs 1880, uprated from 165o to 1900.
Front weighs 1200, not changed at 1650.
Total 3220 which is pretty much original max but now uprated to 3500.

WE CAN GO !!!

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

Next stop Le Mans.

Result! Think I'd have gone for more & done the tyres as well .
You won't forget to split the air pipes will you?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Tony. ..so the equipment used in my case was capable of weighing the vehicle weight...
I'll have to check it again as the weight at time of test (2286kg ) is considerably less than the 2800kg the last time I weighed it....I would not expect that sort of discrepancy. ...and for peace of mind I like to know roughly what I run at and what load capacity I have...
I don't know anything about the methods used for brake tests or how they are calculated . Before equipment like this was available are you saying they estimated the weight and had to manually calculate the results...just interested. If you can explain..Thanks Andy. .

The calculation is done by the roller test machine - the vehicle weight is input (or measured by the rollers) to allow it to do so. The rollers measure the force applied by the braked wheel to the driven roller. The calculation performed by the device is:

(Total Brake Effort / Vehicle Weight) x 100 = % Efficiency

If the rollers aren't suitable or the weight is unknown a pendulum device placed on the cab floor can perform the same test. See http://www.tapley.org.uk/products.html (I have a Ferodo version of the same device) This circumvents the need to know the weight because the vehicle is driven at a low speed then braked without locking the wheels. The pendulum moves against gravity to indicate the brake efficiency directly.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks for taking the time @tonyidle .. I had forgotten about the question..:)
It still leaves me wondering about the figures on my brake read for total weight been so far off the weight from my last weigh bridge visit..(ie 2286kg as opposed to around 2800kg from memory. ..)
Thanks again
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back