Service Items On 2.8jtd (2005) (1 Viewer)

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
hi, I'm due a service, I'm wanting to change the oil sump as its looking a little crusty. Apart from oil and air filter. What are the regular items to change on this engine? The cam belt was supposedly changed when we bought the van a year ago.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The cam belt was supposedly changed when we bought the van a year ago.
Hi westy77. :)

Unless you have any documentation to support that, removal of the timing belt cover is the only other way to check the belt itself. It should look brand new, with all the printed deatails clearly visible (and not worn away) where the belt goes around the pulleys The "V"s on the multi groove belt should be prominent, and not look flattened or worn, and, there should be no signs of cracking or perishing at all.

Also, was it a just belt change, or a cambelt kit change, ie, new pulleys and tensioners?

Pending age and mileage since last done, your brake fluid may need changing, as might your antifreeze (hydrometer checks).

Good luck. (y),

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thank you. The belt did look new as I had a look when we got the van. But not sure if pulleys etc were done. Annoyingly the motorhome dealer we bought from lost all the service and hand books so I have no past history either.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Annoyingly the motorhome dealer we bought from lost all the service and hand books so I have no past history either.
Carelessly, or intentionally? I wonder. :unsure:
Most are kept either in a folder/wallet supplied by the converter for the habitation appliances, or in the Fiat handbook wallet. I can understand the dealer removing them before putting the MH on display, but not losing them...............unless they had reason to hide something.

Sorry Westy, but I'm a bit of a cynic. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
If in doubt change the belt.
The belt itself seldom fails, it's the plastic guides, tensioner and jockeys that usually crack and fail.... and when they do its a head off and a big job. Service history is important.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The "V"s on the multi groove belt should be prominent, and not look flattened or worn, and, there should be no signs of cracking or perishing at all.
My apologies, that should have read..........."The teeth on the cambelt", and not "The "V"s on the multi groove belt" as above. :blush:

I think I'd be going for a complete cambelt kit change, and possibly a water pump change too, if there is any doubt. :)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Carelessly, or intentionally? I wonder. :unsure:
Most are kept either in a folder/wallet supplied by the converter for the habitation appliances, or in the Fiat handbook wallet. I can understand the dealer removing them before putting the MH on display, but not losing them...............unless they had reason to hide something.

Sorry Westy, but I'm a bit of a cynic. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

It's hard to tell as the belt looks new, they did do some other bits that make me think they are good, but also let us down with some bits. There is the Adria folder with lots of docs/info and the hab service book. It's the whole Fiat folder of books that is missing with annoyingly the service history.

What is the normal time interval for the belt and pulleys etc? I'd rather go on time as we will never meet the mileage limits. Although I do want to get it done soon.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Standard service items are oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter. Wheels off and inspect brakes (crumbling pads are more common than worn out ones), check for suspension joint play, wheel bearing play, visual inspection of shock absorbers and mountings, rubber bushings on all suspension mountings.

Cam belt should be replaced along with tensioner and idler at 5 year intervals, not sure if yours has been done properly = how lucky do you feel! 2.8 idtd and JTD alike the water pump is not driven by the cambelt and can be changed without removing the cambelt. Cambelt is fairly straightforward unless A class bodywork, water pump is a fiddly job.

D.

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks Dave. I want to change the oil as I got a new sump and gasket. Then get it in to a garage for the belt and other bits.

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
What brand oil is best for the 2.8JTd and what rating, plus how much will it need including for the filter?

If I get the oil, air and fuel filters from somewhere such as Euro Car Parts are they good quality?

I want to do as much of it myself if possible, need to look into the fuel filter, is that a relatively easy diy job?

Then I'm going to get it into a local garage to have belt and pulleys etc done as that is beyond my skills.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I will 2nd what jock and Rita said about brake fluid. Had an older motor once with low miles and mechanic said fluid needed changing I questioned it so when he had done it he showed me the 2 fluids . It was black and white the difference between the 2 in colour , I guess that was dirt and moisture etc .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Been out and got fuel, air and oil filters plus 6ltr of 10w-40, going to get this lot done and book it in for belt and bits. Just hoping for a dry day next week. In the meantime I have my new sump and as Fiat is part of the Chrysler group and these sumps like to rust as soon as they see daylight I have painted it in Mopar blue engine paint.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I pulled the plug on the oil so that is draining now. Changed the fuel filter, that is a right pain in the arse job if I do say so!! Changed the air filter. I'm not convinced the motorhome supplier changed it at buying service as it doesn't look that new for one year and a couple of thou miles. Tomorrow is oil sump change and oil filter. Then pray to the Fiat gods it starts and doesn't piss oil everywhere.

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Fitted new sump and changed oil filter. Old sump bolts came out easy, which was nice. Put fresh oil in and kept turning ignition to "MAR" to bleed the air out of the fuel filter. Then fired it up and had a run around the block. Touching wood all seemed ok, it kept running and there was no puddle of oil under it. Except the one where I knocked the oil tray the old oil had gone into and it spilt.

4377230f214424ecf68f904c7d221635.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
and there was no puddle of oil under it. Except the one where I knocked the oil tray the old oil had gone into and it spilt.
Yep, been there and done that Westy........................along with thousands of others.
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

That sump is looking good. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks, I had the paint from doing the car sump and thought it may help this one last a little longer.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Been out and got fuel, air and oil filters plus 6ltr of 10w-40, going to get this lot done and book it in for belt and bits. Just hoping for a dry day next week. In the meantime I have my new sump and as Fiat is part of the Chrysler group and these sumps like to rust as soon as they see daylight I have painted it in Mopar blue engine paint

Broken Link Removed

Other way around Fiat own the Chrysler group now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back