As Many Of Us Are Heading 'over There'............. (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You got 5/6
Impressive!

(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
5/6 haven't been to Belarus ! But have done over 120,000 miles on the continent holidaying which is probably a lot less than some have ?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
The breathalyser one is not quite accurate as, whilst you should have one in France, there is no penalty for not having one.

If you don't carry spare bulbs (with the exception of certain Headlight Bulbs) and if the Police stop you for a light not working, you will not be allowed to proceed till it is working.
Should you do so you will be prosecuted.

5/6

:cooler:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
6/6
& the picture at the end upset me::cry:

driving-abroad-quiz-136397726758310401-150423155417.jpg

Fiat 1500s
I used to have a red one but with the twin cam Osca Maserati engine. Not that I knew it was when I bought it. !:LOL: All models worth a fortune now.:cry:

Yes & NÂş 1 is dubious as to whether you actually need to carry one. I was told no & that was couple of years back-

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
5/6 but im sure the breathalyser is not compulsory now
I got 6/6 but have to agree, my French cousins also confirm this. But I did a little research, the law still exists, but the fine for not having one has been postponed indefinitely. So technically it is still compulsory.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
4/6 but is the breathalyser compulsory in france? thought that was dropped...

edit: ignore....just seen earlier chat :(

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I got 6/6 but have to agree, my French cousins also confirm this. But I did a little research, the law still exists, but the fine for not having one has been postponed indefinitely. So technically it is still compulsory.

thx for that info saves me a possible fine in the future and the last 1 i blew into literally did blow up :whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And you folks have come to the same conclusion as me.. Which makes me think it was put together last year

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
You got 5/6
Impressive!
Not been abroad yet in the motorhome :rolleyes:

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I am sure I read in the newspapers that Sarkozy the Then French PM was a friend of the person who manufactured the breathalysers and when his oppo. Holande took over he stopped the law going forward, so now there are various stories going around but the Actual situation is not clear, at least not to me, but I think it is sensible to take them as you never know what is going to happen next over there!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I think you'll find that question 1 is wrong. I believe the law was changed about 2 years ago, one of the reasons being that the kits were considered inaccurate. It is now only advisory to carry a breathalyser kit.
On the other hand, although only advisable but not compulsory to carry a spare set of bulbs, if stopped by the police and they discover that a bulb is not working they could prosecute you if you continue to drive without replacing it

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I am sure I read in the newspapers that Sarkozy the Then French PM was a friend of the person who manufactured the breathalysers and when his oppo. Holande took over he stopped the law going forward, so now there are various stories going around but the Actual situation is not clear, at least not to me, but I think it is sensible to take them as you never know what is going to happen next over there!

Wise thinking etap(y) Because in France the "FLIC" can practically give a PV (fine) for anything! You can contest it, but you have to pay the fine First!! then battle the calculated incompetence (French shrug) and don't hold your breath:whistle: Remember, your Guilty till Proven Inocent:cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I carry an electronic breathalyser, so I can check if ever in doubt. Its quite illuminating to watch the level fall hour by hour after a drink. Obviously the ones you can buy are not certified accurate, but if they read 0 then you are probably ok.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I got 5/6 but I was right on the breathalyser and they were wrong :D
So 6/6 cleverlittledicky. :p

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It was explained to me by my motorcycling mate who lives/works In France as this;
The law was introduced, then it was found that if you were to be stopped & asked to produce & blow into said breathalyser this would then leave you in the position of not carrying one as you had used it. You would then be breaking the law.
This then placed the flics in the position of having broken the law by asking you to use it & making them guilty of not only " aiding & abetting" the offence but of actually causing the offence to happen.
Nor could they ask you to carry 2 , as the law only required 1 & if they amended it to 2 then when you blew into 1 you'd now be in the same position etc;etc; :LOL:
The only way it could work was if people willingly carried an additional one which obviously no one was likely to do !
Also whilst all this was going on & after the law had been introduced the minister who had been on for years to get it into law was found to be a major share holder/part owner (?) of the only company allowed to produce them :rolleyes::LOL:.It would appear to be the French journalistic privacy laws that prevented it coming out before.
when they introduced it they also introduced loads of other measures & another that was quietly dropped was for all motorcyclists to wear complete reflective clothing.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Tried to use one from Carrefour but could not break the end of the glass tube.:love:

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back