what to do about the spare keys ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Do what I do . one complete set of keys in right hand pocket & one complete set in left hand pocket .that is for car & house. 10 keys on each
M/home exactly the same with 9 keys on each soley for m/h
I have 4 sets per vehicle.:D

I know to my cost, well my firms cost, that if you havnt got both keys your insurance won't pay out, so if one goes with the van you are stuffed!

Always get at least one more key-so you always have 2.(y)
I have four sets of keys for my motorhome.
Great minds ,lol:LOL:

Believe me this is true, had a tranny nicked, while I was loading it at the rear, my fault had been having my dinner in the van at a wholesalers, waiting for stuff and had the key in for the radio when the guy from the shop came out with the stuff, I just jumped out to open the back door and it just went in front of me , anyway didn't make no odds what we said to the insurance , no two keys , no payout.

Firm a bit slow there as with Fords you can get replacement keys all delivered/cut/programmed just off chassis number if you are owner.
I had a U/S one on a Tourneo a few years back / went in dealers & they just took reg & obtained chassis number from that on system & ordered keys . 4 days & they arrived ,straight in worked perfectly.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Firm a bit slow there as with Fords you can get replacement keys all delivered/cut/programmed just off chassis number if you are owner.
I had a U/S one on a Tourneo a few years back / went in dealers & they just took reg & obtained chassis number from that on system & ordered keys . 4 days & they arrived ,straight in worked perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Yes, found out after:doh:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
@Granjan Have you asked the MOT people if they disturbed the wrappings round the bag fixed to your chassis?

It could just be that the examiner had to check under the bag to see if there was a reason for it being there IE to hide some corrosion or damage to your chassis that would lead to an MOT failure. In so doing it may be that the whole lot having been disturbed simply fell off on your drive, the key having deposited its self along your route home after it fell out the bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Granjan Have you asked the MOT people if they disturbed the wrappings round the bag fixed to your chassis?

It could just be that the examiner had to check under the bag to see if there was a reason for it being there IE to hide some corrosion or damage to your chassis that would lead to an MOT failure. In so doing it may be that the whole lot having been disturbed simply fell off on your drive, the key having deposited its self along your route home after it fell out the bag.

Hi TC it went in for its first major service ... Mot will be next year, we did phone the garage but the main chap wasn't there ... mechanic said he hadn't noticed it ..... we didn't feel that we could start throwing around any accusations that we couldnt prove .... we were happy with the garage owners ethos and unless they blot their copy book in some way we will use them again ...... They are about 15 miles from us and can handle big MH's like ours. It did seemed too much of a coincidence for the black tape and bags to be on the drive now after all these months of being at home, I think we would have noticed it ... The key was wrapped in sandwich bags then completely covered in black masking tape that was taped onto chassis behind step then cable tied multiple times too! ... we decided it wasnt worth the stress of waiting for a night visit so husband slept outside that night and motorhome now at dealers to replace the locks. Cant do with the hassle to be honest but I wont forget to remove any hidden keys again! Jim's point about several sets of keys is a good one. At campsites we sometimes use safety deposit boxes for valuables passports etc. try to go out for day with as little as possible. If people are determined enough they will find a way!

I am not so worried about loosing the motorhome as it has a tracker Global Telemetrics never fail to phone when motorhome moves. Just don't want some pleb helping himself to my bits and bobs its not so much that they are worth anything but there are little presents and momento's etc that. I wouldn't like to loose.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I know to my cost, well my firms cost, that if you havnt got both keys your insurance won't pay out, so if one goes with the van you are stuffed!
So how does that work if you have the spare keys in a key safe attached to the motorhome?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was told by Timpsons never to use an uncoded key in the ignition of a vehicle with an immobiliser as it will jam the system and require an expensive repair. Therefore, they will not cut one for us to hide someone where out of site.

Secondly, I have my telephone number on my keys which as proved useful a couple of times when my keys have fallen out of my pocket etc. and been found by peeps that have returned them to me after they called me.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
So how does that work if you have the spare keys in a key safe attached to the motorhome?

Well that's what I had and technically you're not covered because the ignition keys are in or on the vehicle. So it not only covers the scenario of keys getting left in the ignition while you have your morning cuppa or are loading it up, but also keys being left elsewhere in or on the van.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
And if you lose the padlock key :unsure:

Well I was thinking something like these code oneshttp://Broken Link Removed

But after reading everyone's posts maybe if it was ok with the insurance I'd want it in writing! Also it maybe worth getting a extra set cut? That way you always have 2 sets to give to the insurance company ;)

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Im now thinking one of these bluetooth key finder Broken Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Has anyone thought of putting their spare keys in a condom and swallowing them?

Totally foolproof and you have access to them every 24 hours or so!(y)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
but
Has anyone thought of putting their spare keys in a condom and swallowing them?

Totally foolproof and you have access to them every 24 hours or so!(y)

Not sure that is foolproof - how do you get into the van to use the toilet until you have the keys to hand? :D

andreWander

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Thames Valley
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 2007
Exp
my insurance states that the ignition key must be in a locked safe. I was also worried about leaving an electronic alarm/immobilizer fob outside in all weathers so this is hidden inside as is the safe key. Just the habitation key is external which get me inside then I follow the treasure hunt trail. Any thief needs to find all three in succession to drive away. Not fool proof but the best I can do travelling alone.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you are worried, then as Jim alluded to in one of his posts when he said that he has taken steps to endure that even if you get his keys and alarm fob, the Motorhome still cannot be started, there are was of incorporating your smart phone into your security regime

Google for insurance refusal for lost and stolen keys and it is an eye opener

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Get a simple all metal non transponder key cut to open the door. Place it behind number plate and secure it with the self taper that screws on the number plate. Spare keys hidden inside van.
Screwdriver is all you need to get in.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A bit "hippy" and so I apologise fully in advance but...

...all the really valuable things that I have eventually acquired in my life can't be stolen by less fortunate folk breaking into my Hymer.

Peace, happiness, love, friendship, spare time, memories, knowledge, experiences, future plans and so on.

(Well I did warn you...)

It seems to me that those people who pursue and acquire "better" and more "expensive" material things have to put in quite some effort to stop horrid people from taking them away from them.

I do keep a hab key taped outside the van for when (as I have already once) lost my key and been locked out. and spare keys in the mini safe.

The only thing that I really worry about is someone nicking the whole vehicle... highly unlikely given the age of the old bus... because if anybody did, I wouldn't have anywhere to sleep.

If they just broke in to pinch "stuff" they would take one look at the mess and all the junk and quickly move on elsewhere!

"A rich man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least."

JJ :cool:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Keep the single door key on a chain or rope or string round your neck like a necklace whilst on holiday.
If you take it off at night put with your main keys to remind you.

Montybe

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Lowline Mototrek
Exp
40 years on and off
For the single traveller, this is how it's done. Unfortunately I now travel alone and miss greatly her Ladyship's handbag, which contained everything.
Security is like an onion, it comes in layers.
Firstly you must be aware of the circumstances and you must make judgements on the area, location and all factors that might effect your security, and any risks. Gut instinct is a resource worth cultivating. As a single person, if you don't feel safe don't take risks.
So the extreme case is you are parked up and want to go to the local beach for a swim and a day sunbathing.
Ask yourself how safe your van is whilst away. Is it on a campsite, or out in the open in a wild aire. Consider your options under the circumstances. Taking your modern electronic keys to the beach is certainly not desirable.

But you will need the following.
  1. Most vehicles come with 2 sets of keys, ie 2 Plippers and a key code tag. Leave the master set with the key code tab at home. Take digital photo's of the tag and both sides of the keyblade. You might need a relative or friend to courier the retained master set to you in an emergency, especially as the plipper is the only means of controlling the electric isolation and alert functions. Keep your digital pics on your portable device, you can get a replacement keyblade online very quickly. Remember a modern replacement electronic keyset will cost many hundreds of pounds and take forever to replace. Loose your plipper and you could be stranded for weeks.
  2. You need 2 "Surfer Dude" keys. These are just keyblades of the ones in your fold-out keyfob. Buy these online for about £10 a pair. I use Jim Mann, and this is not an advert:http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(cheshire-auto-keys-carkeys4u-ltd)_196496.htm. They can be called "emergency Keys"
  3. Take one of the keyblades and place it secretly (on the vehicle) in only a place you will know. This is your emergency back-up. I place mine "In Plain Site" behind a bit of old grey gaffer tape on the bike rack.
  4. Arrange for your second keyblade to be carried on your person no matter where you go. I use a necklace and go swimming and suchlike wearing it. Yes, medallion man, but who cares
When securing your vehicle place your master set with the plipper in a secret but easily accessible place within the motorhome. Yes it is necessary to leave your master keys in the vehicle, but you have no option if you want to live and go for a swim, sauna, sail or do anything that might wreck your plipper. You also need to get to the plipper quickly to prevent the dreaded alarm going off , especially in the dead of night. Hey, I don't make the rules, blame it all on the politicians who make the regulation. My vehicle has a motion isolation switch that needs to be activated when the vehicle is locked using the keyblade (Manually). I go off and do my daily thing and when returning, open the vehicle manually by turning the keyblade in the lock. I quickly find the regular set and de-activate the vehicle security system that will otherwise inevitably set off the alarm and isolate the engine management system.
If I am unfortunate enough to loose my keyblade, at least I have a secret spare hidden and accessible from the outside of the vehicle.
So, I have used this all over Europe and so far only lost my primary keyblade once. I have upset a few others by not managing swift access my main keys with the plipper and setting off the motion sensor alarm.
But there is no option. Either you carry your keys with the plipper all the time away from the vehicle or you follow the above procedure.
Happy surfing...

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
The only problem with having a key around your neck is if you have an accident and the air bags go off, you can cause a lot of injuries to your chest as the bag hits you at great force. It is a problem I have yet to solve as a solo traveller and dread if I should lose my keys

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am not a solo traveller but SWMBO refuses to carry a set of keys so I end up carrying both. I do put my car and house keys in the motorhome safe, so at least I don't have to carry them as well I considered that a small risk as house and car will be in the uk

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
It's about time we had finger print access followed up with a pin code or something, then we could just do without keys :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So basically I have to take both keys with me when I go out for the day as the breakdown policy requires the spare key to be taken on holiday with you.
Nah, they aren't going to send an agent to you in Spain or South of France or expect you to rush home just to show them two keys.
You will have to produce the keys at the earliest convenient opportunity so you could leave one at home.
The exclusion says.... Left in or on the MOTORHOME. .

Where does breakdown policy come into it.... You should be covered for lost keys.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Lost my keys a couple of months ago and watched the AA man gain entry in less than 2 mins.
Made me rethink the security on my van the alarm did go off until I retrieved my spare keys hidden inside the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back