Where Should We Go In France? (1 Viewer)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have yet to take the van on the continent, but with SWMBO's summer annual coming up in June we need to at least start thinking about what to do. I've only got 2 weeks vacation from the sweat shop, so not got the luxury of an extended escape.

With this in mind, the extent of our planning is my just having ordered the ACSI book, the All the Aires book, and a laminated road atlas from Vicarious Books. We are not even sure where we want to go and see, although madam has made mention of the Carmargue due to some white equines she'd like to dote on (isn't that marsh land? does that mean plagues of insects?). I'd maybe like to see an old castle or 2 (cathars maybe?), perhaps the village preserved after the WWII massacre (don't recall name without searching) and drink some good wine.

Any hints, tips or recommendations from the wise would be much appreciated, including where to avoid and what not to do as/if applicable!

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We never plan anything; just check the weather forecast and then turn left or right to find the decent weather. One of our best holidays was a day to the Champagne region then 2 weeks round there - some days not driving more than about 10 minutes. Then back to Calais in a day.

Far more relaxing than punching along for 5 or 6 hours a day.

Wherever you end up just enjoy.

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good evening, another Berkshire escapee ?
France is brilliant for camping cars as you say but with only 2 weeks I'd be inclined to make your first visit fairly close to your chosen port. The Camargue is quite a way.
I guess from Berkshire you'd head for Portsmouth.
Caen or Cherbourge give access to the Normandy beaches.
St Malo,our preference, further into Brittany or down the western coast. La Rochelle & the islands of Re & D'oleron are around 250 miles / 6 hours.
Orador sur Glane is the village you're thinking of, well worth the time, very emotional.
Chill & enjoy.
Barrie.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
For a first trip I wouldn't travel too far
If it's horsey stuff your looking for you could do worse than the Chantilly Horse Museum with its lovely Chateau & Grounds next door, you can even overnight on the race course.
For Wartime stuff try the Blockhause at Epperleques, well worth the visit & you can overnight in the car park or there's a nice little site round the corner at Chateau Grand Spet or setting like that.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for your feedback, I'm also starting to think reducing the mileage could be the way to go here, I don't mind touring around as we can share the driving, but I'd like a few days chilling here and there.p too.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As you're going in June there will be a fair bit of D day stuff going on in Normandy.. Obviously more towards the beginning of the month.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Brittany is beautiful and motorhome friendly.

Not too far to drive either.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Oradour sur Glane is the preserved village. Close to Limoges.

.......... and like most popular places in France, get there if you want pics without lots of tourists.
3247 - Oradour.JPG
3250 - Oradour.JPG
3251 - Oradour.JPG
3252 - Oradour.JPG

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The Albert road is well worth a drive if you are interested in WW1 , It puts into perspective what our guys went through on the somme battle fields ,the Thiepal monument is a place for somber reflection ,check out a cemetery or two off of the Albert road , you gain an insight into the dreadful losses

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We visited orador last year and it has a nice aire to stay on there, only a short walk to the restaurants etc then a bit further on to the village it self. Well worth a visit .

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Definitely recommend Parc Verger, lovely site in a great spot, super for bikes, walking and loads of places to visit nearby. Not far from Oradour with some beautiful lakes nearby for lounging around by!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have a look on manche-tourism.com about St Lo, the capital of the horse and town of arts.

There is a state stud farm, The Norman Bocage Country Museum and a Museum of Fine Arts. Much closer than trying to get to the Camargue in 2 weeks. There is an aire in the town by the river.

If you walk along the river there is the Tourist Office with very helpful staff. The Stud is about a mile or so UP the road which is a steep hill.

Joe

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have yet to take the van on the continent, but with SWMBO's summer annual coming up in June we need to at least start thinking about what to do. I've only got 2 weeks vacation from the sweat shop, so not got the luxury of an extended escape.

With this in mind, the extent of our planning is my just having ordered the ACSI book, the All the Aires book, and a laminated road atlas from Vicarious Books. We are not even sure where we want to go and see, although madam has made mention of the Carmargue due to some white equines she'd like to dote on (isn't that marsh land? does that mean plagues of insects?). I'd maybe like to see an old castle or 2 (cathars maybe?), perhaps the village preserved after the WWII massacre (don't recall name without searching) and drink some good wine.

Any hints, tips or recommendations from the wise would be much appreciated, including where to avoid and what not to do as/if applicable!

Rowley, try this one as a tater. Handy for everywhere once you've seen it, and you have to see it at least once. As others have said visit early before the buses 'arrivez'.
Broken Link Removed

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
If you're going to see Oradour and like horses, the French National horsey thingy is at Arnac Pompadour not too far south of Oradour. Description courtesy of wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnac-Pompadour
Beautiful setting with the chateau overlooking the course.
Something happening on the course pretty well every Sunday in the summer.
This is in French but if you do a Google Translate it's okay: http://www.courses-pompadour.com/
And if you happen to be in Pompadour on the 14th July they do a free firework display. It's all set off from the chateau terraces and spectators - lots of them - all gather on the racecourse. Supposed to start around 10pm but that's French time so anywhere from 10 to 11:) Lasts about 30 minutes and is pretty spectacular.
Pompadour is the HQ of the Haras National which is the Arab horse society sort of thing. A bit like our Newmarket and you'll see some fine specimens in the fields around the town.
Race meetings are a mixture of jumps and flat races. They have open days with heavy horses, Arabs and show jumping - and entry is free.
If you love horses it is a must visit place.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We love the Carmargue & Provence, but a bit too far to do in two weeks unless you love driving. Massif Central is another of our favorites if you like walking, piece & quiet, fabulous exstint volcanoes great ridge walks & good weather, about 450 miles from Calais. The Loire is about where the good weather starts, or if the weather is good in the north 1st couple of weeks of June the D-day beaches are well worth a visit we will be there again this year, some photos in my gallery, link in my signature.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back