weighbridge - it seemed like a good idea (1 Viewer)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I dealt with Steve, see my post headed Sv Tech, all done in a week, very impressed.

The SV tech part goes very well but the swansea bit took me 3 months and lots of phone calls and two lots of replacement paper work. MAKE SURE YOU COPY EVERYTHING.
Steve.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The SV tech part goes very well but the swansea bit took me 3 months and lots of phone calls and two lots of replacement paper work. MAKE SURE YOU COPY EVERYTHING.
Steve.

I was having nightmares about the Swansea bit too (mostly from reading posts on here :rofl:) but I had everything back 10 days after I posted it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am no use on the technical reasons, but you may have seen my thread on Mercedes Air Suspension, we have just removed the air bag with manual control from ours and fitted full VS air suspension. If you are only fitting the £800 for compliance I would stick with that, I can't speak for what ours would have been like without the simple system, but it was next to useless with it (y) but we are quite a bit heavier (come on Dawn your turn again) :D
If I do end up fitting it it will only be for compliance, don't have any ride issues, might spend the extra £70 for the gauge & remote filling points shall see how we go hopefully won't need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If I do end up fitting it it will only be for compliance, don't have any ride issues, might spend the extra £70 for the gauge & remote filling points shall see how we go hopefully won't need it.

I have got my set back from mine, 2 bags, gauges and fittings, not sure how hard it is to fit, or even if our Mercedes and yours would be the same, but it wouldn't cost you anywhere near that much, in fact for the price of the gauge and fill points you can have the lot if interested

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have got my set back from mine, 2 bags, gauges and fittings, not sure how hard it is to fit, or even if our Mercedes and yours would be the same, but it wouldn't cost you anywhere near that much, in fact for the price of the gauge and fill points you can have the lot if interested
Thanks for the offer, but the ones for Al-Ko chassis are a bit specalised there are at least 4 different versions depending on type of Al-Ko chassis & double the price, Merc ones defiantly wouldn't fit,

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I've loaded up our van with full water tanks, awning, windbreak, full gas bottles, full tank of fuel, BBQ and stand, full garage etc. Only thing missing will be the beauty terrorist, the 8 year old puppy, food and clothing.

Taking to a weighbridge on Friday..will be interested to see the results

Let's hope it's less than 4005kg..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When we weighed ours on the way home from a trip abroad so fully loaded it was 5600 kg so that leaves 400 kg spare, even more red wine.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've loaded up our van with full water tanks, awning, windbreak, full gas bottles, full tank of fuel, BBQ and stand, full garage etc. Only thing missing will be the beauty terrorist, the 8 year old puppy, food and clothing.

Taking to a weighbridge on Friday..will be interested to see the results

Let's hope it's less than 4005kg..

For the effort it will take I'd include those missing items or at least their equivalent weight positioned where they'd normally sit or be stowed. You can guess them fairly accurately later but you won't get such an accurate check on each axle weight. Just a thought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
With all the variety of information in this thread, thought others would find this link useful which clearly explains maximum weights, payloads and axles
http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/how-to-calculate-your-motorhome’s-safe-weight-limits-4104/
Can be a bit miss leading, they don't bother to explain that different manufacturers/countries specify the MIRO with different allowable loads in the van. They don't explain the difference between MIRO & Technical MIRO if fact they don't even mention Technical MIRO which is the far more important figure.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can be a bit miss leading, they don't bother to explain that different manufacturers/countries specify the MIRO with different allowable loads in the van. They don't explain the difference between MIRO & Technical MIRO if fact they don't even mention Technical MIRO which is the far more important figure.

Go on then, I dont mind asking "what is technical MIRO"

Just to add I think that most manufacturers specify what is included in their MIRO calculation.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Technical MIRO is the weight with factory fitted extras it is show on the C of C on line 13.2 (sub heading of line 13), I don't know if all manufactures quote it but German ones do, the MIRO is irrelevant if loads of extras have been fitted.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
For the effort it will take I'd include those missing items or at least their equivalent weight positioned where they'd normally sit or be stowed. You can guess them fairly accurately later but you won't get such an accurate check on each axle weight. Just a thought.
Fair point. I was planning to take the Beauty Terrorsts weight and double it.....thought that would cover food and clothing....:LOL:

Not sure if she is best straddling the front or rear axle.....

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Weight makes no absolutely no difference to insurance. Never been asked the plated weight when getting insurance quotes and when we uprated ours I rang the insurers just to check and they weren't in the slightest bit interested. Also being over 3500kg you save money on the tax disc (y) All the tolls I've been through are based on vehicle dimensions not weight and especially in France if it comes up with Class 3 just press the button, tell them you are a camping car and they will change it to Class 2. Don't know about ferries as we always use the tunnel where, again, weight isn't relevant or even asked for. Recovery maybe if you have it as a separate item but for us it's part of the insurance so again the weight makes no difference. (y)
Weight may make no difference to insurance, but in other respects I think this post is factually inaccurate. French tolls are based on weight as well as height. Over 3500kg OR over 3m high is class 3. In practice you may get away with it as you suggest because they are not likely to weigh you. But with increasing electronic tolls (which are coming in france, and already there in many countries) there is no hiding! And in some countries you need extra equipment above 3500kg (eg a GO box in Austria). And in some countries speed limits are lower about 3500.

All I am suggesting is that people should at least be aware of what the situation is, what they then do is , of course, up to them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Weight may make no difference to insurance, but in other respects I think this post is factually inaccurate. French tolls are based on weight as well as height. Over 3500kg OR over 3m high is class 3. In practice you may get away with it as you suggest because they are not likely to weigh you. But with increasing electronic tolls (which are coming in france, and already there in many countries) there is no hiding! And in some countries you need extra equipment above 3500kg (eg a GO box in Austria). And in some countries speed limits are lower about 3500.

All I am suggesting is that people should at least be aware of what the situation is, what they then do is , of course, up to them.

Well we're over 3500kg and have always been Class 2. Technically you may be correct but unless someone is going to start checking weight plates on every motorhome it's not going to be enforced. All the tag ones I saw were for vehicles under 2m high only so that counts all of us out.

You're right about Austria and Switzerland but that system works completely differently. I've been looking into this for our summer trip and for a short visit of 10 days or less the heavy vehicle fee works out cheaper (CH32,50) than the under 3.5t Vignette (CH40,00) so another good example. In Austria, well for the bit I'm looking at anyway, it's possible to avoid motorways and pay nothing whatever weight you are.

Speed limits I couldn't care less about. I'm in no rush (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You're right about Austria and Switzerland but that system works completely differently. I've been looking into this for our summer trip and for a short visit the heavy vehicle fee works out cheaper (CH32,50) than the under 3.5t Vignette (CH40,00) so another good example. In Austria, well for the bit I'm looking at anyway, it's possible to avoid motorways and pay nothing whatever weight you are.

Speed limits I couldn't care less about. I'm in no rush (y)
Too true, we always stop at the border in Switzerland and register for the toll, nice and easy, although the crossing we use usually has a border guard who's never done it before, so takes a little longer, calling supervisors etc.
Leaving Switzerland to Austria, pull over at the border, select new route on tomtom and say avoid toll roads, we then get to see loads of interesting stuff along the way :)
I think (from memory) the over 3500 speed limit is 50mph in Switzerland, which is a nice plod, I'm happy with that.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Well went to the weigh bridge and pleasantly surprised.

Results:-

Max Permissable = 4005kg
Weighed = 3680kg

front axle permissible = 2100kg
Front axle weighed. = 1800kg

rear axle permissible. = 2400kg
rear axle weighed. = 1920kg

I had everything in the van except clothing and food.

Was really pleased with results because I've added tow ar, spare well additional gas bottle for BBQ, had full fuel and full water tank, beauty terrorist, dog, 20 litres bottled water, awnings, windbreaks, four chairs etc etc.

I have done an assessment of allowing say 25 kg for clothing ( mine 2 kg.....Beauty terrorist 23kg...) and a further 25kg for food - I know these are generous but erred on the side of caution.

So taking all the above into account, we still have 275kg for 2 more passengers and add one....( wine, beer etc....)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well David look like you need to do a what do we rely need exercise if we don't need it its unloaded
bill
EDIT
I have been motor homing for years and have yet to have first hand experience of any one who has actually been puled and waged in a motor home
bit like gassing some one who knows some related to some ones cozen
but i always try to stay with in the limit
bill

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just weighed ours and we have 450 left for clothes, food and two grown kids :) really pleased do not have to upgrade :)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Weighed mine last Friday. Plated at 3500, weighed in at 3210. no water (12ltrs coke in waste tank), 1/4 fuel no wife and not sure if I was included. Do have towbar, awning, solar, top box, spare wheel,lots of tools and spares. Will need to put in food, clothes, 2 mountain bikes and carrier, wifey. Will be uprating on return from France as not enough time to sort out before. Suppose I could go through tools etc. but the law of sir sod will no doubt come and hit me on the things I then do not carry. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've been informed by another forumite (thanks Ludo) that our new van (Globecar Familyscout L) is on the extra long wheelbase it is more 'heavy-duty' than our existing one so can be uprated to 4250kg without any modifications!!!! (y)

The axle limits for it are: front 2100kg, rear 2400kg and 6500kg overall train weight ... if we stay at 3500kg we can tow something up to 3000kg in weight without any changes at all! :eek:

Whilst we don't intend to uprate it's good to know it's an option should we want to. :)

Vouty

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
West midlands
Funster No
MH
hymer s630
Exp
New
After reading this thread, weighed mine yesterday - fulltank of water and full diesel and full garage (awning kayak etc.), full fridge - no wife or dogs. Bang on 3500kg!

Will need to get uprated to 3850kg ( was originally), in the meantime I had to empty the water to get wife and dogs onboard!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
After reading this thread, weighed mine yesterday - fulltank of water and full diesel and full garage (awning kayak etc.), full fridge - no wife or dogs. Bang on 3500kg!

Will need to get uprated to 3850kg ( was originally), in the meantime I had to empty the water to get wife and dogs onboard!
Tough choice......what a waste of water...

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well went to the weigh bridge and pleasantly surprised.

Results:-

Max Permissable = 4005kg
Weighed = 3680kg

front axle permissible = 2100kg
Front axle weighed. = 1800kg

rear axle permissible. = 2400kg
rear axle weighed. = 1920kg

So taking all the above into account, we still have 275kg for 2 more passengers and add one....( wine, beer etc....)

I am away now on a really slow internet connection, but something isn't right with your numbers, the maximum permissible per axle adds up to much less than you think as a total??

Our actual maximum gross was less that the added values of both vehicles, I am worries=d you might have read max train weight (including a trailer) your gross weight must not exceed the axle limits

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry to have messed with some of your minds on this, I was really amazed that with such a big van as ours that we had any issues at all, at least our upgrade is going through as we speak, will come back to revised 5500kg, still dangerously close for my liking or expectations

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well David look like you need to do a what do we rely need exercise if we don't need it its unloaded
bill
EDIT
I have been motor homing for years and have yet to have first hand experience of any one who has actually been puled and waged in a motor home
bit like gassing some one who knows some related to some ones cozen
but i always try to stay with in the limit
bill
What has changed is that motorways are being equipped with axle weight sensors & associated NPR cameras. I don't doubt they're intended to weigh (foreign?) wagons and to start with may be on routes to/from major ports. But if they're successful they'll start to appear on most motorways and they will pick up any overweight vehicle. I still doubt whether a motorhome a few 10s of Kg overweight will be pursued but it is worth taking care.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
What has changed is that motorways are being equipped with axle weight sensors & associated NPR cameras. I don't doubt they're intended to weigh (foreign?) wagons and to start with may be on routes to/from major ports. But if they're successful they'll start to appear on most motorways and they will pick up any overweight vehicle. I still doubt whether a motorhome a few 10s of Kg overweight will be pursued but it is worth taking care.
always worth taking care that's why when we go motorhome it is exactly that it's a holiday on wheals minimal living
no hare dryers and all the things un nesecery not saying I haven run over weight but try not to
but water can be had at any garage and cemetery most churches
no nead to carry a full tank
I only have 3.3 tone and seem to manage
and it's the WIM system Wight in motion all ready being proven to be inaccurate and unreliable
along with a already over loaded ANPR system that spends more time not working than working
you could prity much drive around the country undetected at the moment ANPR is turning out to be a joke as it can be aces by so many privet company's it's it cant cope with the work load
bill

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back