Double Output Solar Charge Controller (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi, hoping for a bit advice /guidance..
there was a thread last week asking about using the 2nd outlet on a controller to charge batteries and it was established it was most probably a battery load output and not suitable for charging, but someone did say dual output controllers were an option.. ive had a look.......
would like to be able to charge a start battery and feel this would be a good solution , as opposed to say a single output controller and using a voltage sensing relay to link the start battery..
I have noticed that all the double outlet controllers are pwm.. cant find an mppt one...not sure why, but think this may still be the best way to go , ie is a pwm controller a reasonable option... it would be a 10a controller running a 120w panel..
any advice and views appreciated
thanks andy

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Do you want to give priority to your starter battery or your leisure battery. What is most important to you

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Wouldn't a battery master do the just as well with less messing around?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
jesus that was quick andy :)
the leisure would take priority
ta
Just fit a normal regulator and a CBE CSB2 relay about £22 ebay This will only send charge to the starter battery once your leisure has reached 13.6 volts. After reaching 13.6 the relay will pass up to 4 amps max to the starter battery until the leisure drops to 12.6. SO if you put a load on the leisure battery the voltage will immediately drop to 12.6 or less and stop sending precious charge to the starter battery.

For those who need to preserve their starter battery at all costs like when in storage then a Vanbitz battery master is the best option as this will transfer 1.1 amps while ever the starter is half a volt lower than the leisure

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just fit a normal regulator and a CBE CSB2 relay about £22 ebay This will only send charge to the starter battery once your leisure has reached 13.6 volts. After reaching 13.6 the relay will pass up to 4 amps max to the starter battery until the leisure drops to 12.6. SO if you put a load on the leisure battery the voltage will immediately drop to 12.6 or less and stop sending precious charge to the starter battery.

For those who need to preserve their starter battery at all costs like when in storage then a Vanbitz battery master is the best option as this will transfer 1.1 amps while ever the starter is half a volt lower than the leisure

thanks for the input andy ..ill have a look at the relay option

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No. It trickle charges your engine battery from the leisure battery and keeps it topped up. So whatever your charge source is, EHU, solar etc charges your leisure battery in the normal way and the battery master takes care of your engine battery.

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/battery-master/
thanks , ill look at all the options mentioned,
andy

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Been working 2 years here, its not rocketscience. Sense 13.6V on leisure then switch on link to starter. When volts drop on leisure cut feed to starter.

it isn't lol...
I have a a dual sensing 120 amp blue sea relay connecting my leisure with the auxiliary vehicle battery and has been working well for years.. the transit dual battery set up isolates the start battery completely when you switch off ignition so that isnt an issuefor me..(the start battery does get charges off a 3 output stirling pro charge 20 when on hook up )
was just wanted to know if a dual output controller might be a better option on another planed installation, and why I couldn't find a dual output mppt type controller...
many thanks for all the replies
ta andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @andy63 our Votronic does the engine battery as well if required but we have that function built in with the CBE system so I have not got it wired.

It is called Duo and is MPPT it passes 1 amp to the starter battery to the correct voltage.

Got ours from Road Pro.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Once again thank you for the input @funflair and @Techno100 .I'll do the reading ,am inclined towards the cbe csb2 relay you linked to andy... For the batt link
Cheers again ...andy

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Once again thank you for the input @funflair and @Techno100 .I'll do the reading ,am inclined towards the cbe csb2 relay you linked to andy... For the batt link
Cheers again ...andy
Well I've just donated a Baattery Master is a sort of auction for Haggers who is running a double marathon. Worth a fiver bid to save £65.00 if no one else bids

The original and the best, automatically shuts down if short circuited, over loaded or under voltage, guaranteed 100% fully waterproof, vibration and dust proof and of course has built in automatically resetting fuses (y)

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well I've just donated a Baattery Master is a sort of auction for Haggers who is running a double marathon. Worth a fiver bid to save £65.00 if no one else bids

The original and the best, automatically shuts down if short circuited, over loaded or under voltage, guaranteed 100% fully waterproof, vibration and dust proof and of course has built in automatically resetting fuses (y)
Cheers Eddie. Very generous offer...not sure how you are working your auction..is it a new donation required to enter ..I sponsored Paul when he first mentioned it a few weeks back along with a few others off the forum..
Ta andy

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Cheers Eddie. Very generous offer...not sure how you are working your auction..is it a new donation required to enter ..I sponsored Paul when he first mentioned it a few weeks back along with a few others off the forum..
Ta andy
Didn't think of that?

@andy63 Thebidding is here but no point in you bidding since you would be fitting it for me :)

Broken Link Removed

Ah, problem solved lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back