Autotrail external door restraint replacement (1 Viewer)

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we have a 2009 Autotrail Cheyenne and the external restraints that hold open the doors are tired, which is a pain with the upward opening garage doors.
They are pop riveted to the external skin, I can drill out and screw new ones on, but I am concerned how strong the outer skin is and how to strengthen if they pull out?
Also have same problem with the awning light screw fixings, which don't tighten up.
Anyone replaced the door restraints or strengthened screw fixings in this body shell?

Thanks in anticipation.........Barry

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I shall look forward to any replies on this because my door retainer is also pop riveted and I'm considering replacing it like yourself.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Different van, but mine had these retainers, which are rubbish:-

Broken Link Removed

So for the main habitation door I replaced it with one of these:-

Broken Link Removed

Which is a lot better. I just screwed it on to the outer skin, with a blob of white Sikaflex underneath - the screws being mostly to hold it firmly in place whilst the Sikaflex goes off. The Sikaflex also ensures the screwholes are sealed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
When I asked my dealer for a new retainer, he said take ("take") two or three, the plastic only lasts a short time before losing its strength. I took one but only weeks later I had to buy another in France. My van is a Dethleffs but uses similar retainers that are screwed on. If yours are pop riveted on, I would be inclined to use new pop rivets, for I doubt there will be enough strength in the little pop rivet holes to take a screw. Anyway, you do not know how thick the wall is.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
On my 2011 Tracker the door retainer is far too near the hinged door so no wonder it looses its grip so easily. I decided to just use a bungee to hold it open braced from the door handle enclosure to the wheel arch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back