Mobile Phone Simcard for Australia Anyone?? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Can any of our much travelled funsters help please?
We are off to Australia at the end of January and naturally need to communicate with family etc whilst touring for two months. There are so many Simcards available from various sellers it is a little confusing. Has anyone been to Australia and what network and sim did you purchase. We are after a pay as you go with a generous call/internet allowance and can be topped up within Australia. Tried my supplier, Vodafone, robbers to say the least.
Hope you can help.
Many thanks,
Wilf

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi , google " toggle mobile" . its very good and australia is a toggle country so you would have calls back to the uk for 3p a minute to mobiles and landlines.::bigsmile:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We did NZ and Oz and a few other places a couple of years ago and looked into getting a PAYG sim - but the best advice we got out there was from the mobile phone shops themselves - it was a phone card (bought from them, as well as many newsagents etc) which you use in the public call boxes, and just enter a code before dialling. (and their public call boxes actually work and actually aren't lavatories!):winky:
Ridiculously cheap to call home - and in fact the dearest calls we made were internal ones!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Toggle SIM card is excellent.

You get a UK Mobile number, for your friends and relatives back in the UK to call while you are in Australia. That means if they have free minutes, their call to you will be included.

It costs you nothing to receive the call while you are there.

You can register for a local Australian mobile number on the Toggle website. This is either free for 30 days, or £5 for 365 days. This gives you the benefit of being able to call back to the UK for 3p per minute to both landlines and mobiles and for any Australian friends/family to call you on a local Australian number. Calls while in Australia are 3p to a landline and 9p to a mobile.

The same principal applies for Europe - it is free to receive calls in Western Europe and there are many European countries where you can apply for a free local number and you can have several on your phone at any one time.

They're just £5 on our website (+ 74p P&P):
Link Removed

You can access data on it too at 15p per Mb - but you'd only want to check your e-mail at that rate - you might be best to obtain free WiFi for more data intensive tasks.

Hope that helps!

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

Last edited:

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
Best to just use Skype for phone calls. Here in Oz you can buy a sim for an Ipad etc for about 50 pounds. It lasts for a year and comes with 20 gig of data download. I use one here and so far have never run out.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since this thread was started in December 2013 a lot has changed - but Toggle still remains a good dell for Oz calls.

Now you can just buy a UK Three SIM and take and use that in Australia for no additional cost.

You can get 1GB valid 30 days for £10 or 3GB valid 30 days or 90 days if you buy a SIM with the package pre-loaded for £15 :)

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
we spent a month in Oz in Feb just gone and took the 3 sim as detailed above, worked great, got free minutes back to the UK and data included, calls within Oz are dear though so be warned.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My daughter was in OZ last September and her 3 sim worked fine, you can buy a PAYG 3 sim a month before you go and get it activated for overseas use.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Who dragged this one up from the distant mists of time? 11th of the 12 th 2013?

JCT

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Sydney Australia
Funster No
MH
C class. Birdsville Elite
Exp
Since March 2012
Whatever sim card you use I would ensure that it can connect to Telstra if you wish to travel out of the cities. Telstra has more phone coverage in Oz that any other company. I have lived here in Oz for nearly 4 years, ( also 5/6 month a year for the previous 10 years), and would not use any other telephone company whilst travelling in my Avida/Winnebago motorhome. Between towns can be a problem when inland, I now carry a satellite phone for emergency use if going ' bush'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back