You can park for 18 hours but can't sleep ? (1 Viewer)

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
Don't forget that its no use putting sign up them there " pickies" can't read . They don't have any problems in spain then eh GUS ???:rolleyes: STAN

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
While the vast majority of local councils/ politicians/police are prepared to take the easy " cost effective" way out & be dictated to by the minority & in so doing inconveniencing & penalising the hard working & tax paying majority that are actually paying for both lots of scum , There is actually no hope.
I know why I left & why I can never return.:(
Not "prepared", but "obliged". Thanks, mainly, to the HRA & RRAA local authorities are stuck. That's why legislative amendments as we discussed a few weeks ago are needed.

We motorhomers (if we choose to think of ourselves as different from "travellers") have three choices:
1. ignore legal orders and end up with even more restrictions
2. obey legal orders and approach councils with constructive reasons as to why they should be altered for the future
3. as 2 but do nothing as we are actually too lazy when it comes to putting effort in.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I live on the Isle of Wight and all the Council carparks have a restriction on them which prevent motorhomes being used for sanitary purposes. So you cant even wash your hands before you eat a sandwich you've brought with you.
If you were in a car no probs getting the wet wipes out but not in you motorhome.
Also there is no "overnight" parking on certain seafronts. What is overnight, sunset to sunrise, the same as lighting up time.
These rules are absurd unworkable and just inconvenience decent hard working people.
The people who I believe they are aimed at don't give a dam about them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
:moon2:We get pushed around dictated to and just accept what they say we can and cant do . Should take aleaf from the " gypos" book and not give a flying f/¥|^€ and ignore the signs ect . We are far to compliant in the uk and scared of any confrontation . :getmecoat:stan :reel:
The difference between you and the travelling community is that you have a letter box. This makes you vulnerable to summary justice. Some romanies have several generations who have travelled the highways and byways camping and welcomed by farmers to assist them with harvesting and tending crops.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We use this Sizewell site quite a lot, its a lovely area. When I asked the traffic warden why this 18 hour rule applies, he said that its to stop people," especially travellers," setting up camp. I rest my case.
Phil

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Some of these posts appear to be saying that because "Itinerants" or "travellers" feel it is OK to ignore legislation then that extends to "motorhomers" as well. Extend that logically and we prosecute nobody for theft, violence or whatever.
We have to realise that car parks are normally built for parking cars. We drive different vehicles, vehicles which the car parks tend not to be designed to cater for. Cars are not designed for human habitation but our vehicles are and (as posted previously) it is the human habitation aspect which is important.
"Overnight" tends to be outside charging hours. IoW on street bays are charged between 8am and 6pm so overnight will be 6pm to 8am unless some other time is specified in the legal order.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
So if overnight means 6pm to 8am then all the vehicles parked after this should receive tickets, which I am sure would really go down well with the tourist attractions etc in the area.

Or is it ok to park after 6pm if you leave before 8am

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So if overnight means 6pm to 8am then all the vehicles parked after this should receive tickets, which I am sure would really go down well with the tourist attractions etc in the area.

Or is it ok to park after 6pm if you leave before 8am
If it is a ban on parking, rather than camping, then on the face of it that would be correct. However, without knowing more than is on the web site I wouldn't say for definite. Perhaps, being local, you could ask the council for the definition and ask that they put it on the web site.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Its to stop the " Itinerants" setting up camp.
If you go up the road to Sizewell you can stay overnight.
Phil

Hi Phil

went there yesterday and there is a wooden post with No overnight parking, caravaning or camping .. which is odd since you can buy a long stay ticket
and it isn't on the 'official' parking notice , so whether it is official I don't know..

lovely spot and is only £1 all day .. and good security, the Sizewell Power station police patrol the car park and beach access road every hour or so
DSCF1320.JPG
DSCF1321.JPG
DSCF1314.JPG

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
went there yesterday and there is a wooden post with No overnight parking, caravaning or camping .. which is odd since you can buy a long stay ticket
and it isn't on the 'official' parking notice , so whether it is official I don't know..
Not odd at all Jim. The season tickets simply allow parking during the permitted hours on multiple days and at multiple car parks.
As for the notice, as mentioned previously notices are only guides it is the legal orders which matter :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not odd at all Jim. The season tickets simply allow parking during the permitted hours on multiple days and at multiple car parks.
As for the notice, as mentioned previously notices are only guides it is the legal orders which matter :)

which is odd since you can buy a long stay ticket
and it isn't on the 'official' parking notice

the odd part I refer to Graham is .. that it is specifically stated on the Aldeburgh sign 'No Overnight Camping' (see photo post #1) .. but not on the Sizewell Beach sign.. both signs are by Suffolk Coastal Services Ltd.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't forget that its no use putting sign up them there " pickies" can't read . They don't have any problems in spain then eh GUS ???:rolleyes: STAN
We only tend to get it around here down Águilas where they park up in the sand dunes. I can't even think of any car park with height barriers ? Obviously there must be some just I've never seen any.
Another Favourite for the long term FLT's is the streets of urbanisations close to the beaches that have an occupancy most of the year of 2%. Like Vera Playa in Almeria. It is not unusual to see rows of them in empty streets !
Anywhere you might have seen a " motorhome parking ban" ,"M/H not allowed " sign was & is totally illegal as has now been specifically clarified that you cannot differentiate between any form of private (non-commercial) vehicles. Additionally motorhomes cannot be lumped in with 'caravans' as the latter are classed as 'trailers' & as such come under that legislation.

I live on the Isle of Wight and all the Council carparks have a restriction on them which prevent motorhomes being used for sanitary purposes. So you cant even wash your hands before you eat a sandwich you've brought with you.
If you were in a car no probs getting the wet wipes out but not in you motorhome.
Also there is no "overnight" parking on certain seafronts. What is overnight, sunset to sunrise, the same as lighting up time.
These rules are absurd unworkable and just inconvenience decent hard working people.
The people who I believe they are aimed at don't give a dam about them

I would have thought that that is illegal under EU rules.(y)
So we will be alright in our Motorhome as they're not caravanning ;)
It specifically states motorised caravans as ok on the other part.:D

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
By defination a rule is made to prevent something being done.
Rules are designed to be bent, so bend them till they crack.
I tend to apply logic to any rule, if it isn't logical simply disregard it and accept the risk and be willing to put your money where your mouth is with respect to legal defence.
Folk tend to lie down and accept this crap far too easily.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
This discussion..... about 'illegal' parking/camping/cooking is discussed many times...

Has anyone on here been fined or even moved on?

...seriously I'd like to know

(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the odd part I refer to Graham is .. that it is specifically stated on the Aldeburgh sign 'No Overnight Camping' (see photo post #1) .. but not on the Sizewell Beach sign.. both signs are by Suffolk Coastal Services Ltd.
Only a guess but probably because they were created at different times and the Aldeburgh one was designed in response to specific circumstances.
By defination a rule is made to prevent something being done.
Rules are designed to be bent, so bend them till they crack.
I tend to apply logic to any rule, if it isn't logical simply disregard it and accept the risk and be willing to put your money where your mouth is with respect to legal defence.
Folk tend to lie down and accept this crap far too easily.
Are rules really designed to be bent or is it just that people use that as a justification when they wish to do so? :)In any case, laws (unlike rules) are designed to be kept :)
This discussion..... about 'illegal' parking/camping/cooking is discussed many times...

Has anyone on here been fined or even moved on?

...seriously I'd like to know

(y)
People have been taken to court for breaches of the orders at Huttoft recently. The more frequent result is some sort of physical barrier which stops us all.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi Phil

lovely spot and is only £1 all day .. and good security, the Sizewell Power station police patrol the car park and beach access road every hour or so View attachment 60597 View attachment 60595 View attachment 60596
Hi, We have stayed here overnight many times and have never been told to move. I do however stick to the 18 hours max rule.
Phil

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
People have been taken to court for breaches of the orders at Huttoft recently. The more frequent result is some sort of physical barrier which stops us all.

There are places where motorhomes have caused locals a problem and, quite rightly, action is, and should be taken.

Local Authorities should also realise that parking restrictions, not just against motorhomes, impact on visitors, shoppers and the local economy..... the demise of our town centres and holiday resorts may be connected to these restrictions and excessive parking costs

I don't believe that most motorhomers act irresponsibly - My question stands - "Has anyone on here been fined or even moved on?
"

:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Local Authorities should also realise that parking restrictions, not just against motorhomes, impact on visitors, shoppers and the local economy..... the demise of our town centres and holiday resorts may be connected to these restrictions and excessive parking costs
It is for that very reason that LAs try to strike a balance between different types of vehicles when creating car parks and introducing controls on street parking. In years gone by, when many of our car parks were designed and built, the demand from motorhome owners was far less. Car parks were, therefore, built to accommodate cars (both in bay and thoroughfare sizes and weight limitations) and changes in many would be far too costly.

The demise of our town centres has far more to do with the demolition of town centre housing and the consequent move of people away from the shops they used (which then closed through lack of customers) coupled with the increase in private transport and high property rents (not business rates). Middlesbrough is a case in point. A year or so ago some car parks were made free for up to two hours. The only effect was that people who used free car parks further out started using them. The town centre private car parks which still charge are still busy. Footfall stayed roughly the same and further shops have closed.

The demise of holiday resorts is not universal and, as with town centres, has far more causes than parking (not least cheap foreign travel).

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
A motor caravan is by definition a Motor vehicle with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers.
A motor caravan it is entitled to use the public highway (which includes public parking areas) in the same manner as other vehicles of the same category, in other words it cannot be discriminated against except in situations where its weight might cause damage to the pavement.

What activity one engages in in ones vehicle is not a matter for any authority unless it is offensive to others. An example would be sexual activity with the blinds open :sick:
Any interference with any lawful activity within ones vehicle / home could be construed as an invasion of privacy and denial of rights.

Here in Ireland Galway City Council Planning Department had to rescind and order to Galway Harbour Company to cease providing overnight parking for motorhomes when it was pointed out that there exists no condition in the planning permission for the parking facility which forbids the parking of such vehicles overnight.

It was accepted that once no external activity associated with motorhome is carried in the parking space occupied by the motorhome there were no contravention of the planning permission for the parking area.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
A year or so ago some car parks were made free for up to two hours.

The demise of holiday resorts is not universal and, as with town centres, has far more causes than parking (not least cheap foreign travel).

1. Years of 'punishing' drivers for taking their vehicles into town centres may take many years to reverse, if can be at all, when you can park free out of town............ not just for shopping...

2. Foreign travel...... not just cheaper but in the rest of Europe motorhomers are not just accommodated ....... they are welcomed....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There are places where motorhomes have caused locals a problem and, quite rightly, action is, and should be taken.

Local Authorities should also realise that parking restrictions, not just against motorhomes, impact on visitors, shoppers and the local economy.....

I was in Melrose earlier today (in the car) just so I could use the Post Office. There was a charge for the car park which was empty. Other cars came into the car park, looked at the charge board and drove on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
1. Years of 'punishing' drivers for taking their vehicles into town centres may take many years to reverse, if can be at all, when you can park free out of town............ not just for shopping...

2. Foreign travel...... not just cheaper but in the rest of Europe motorhomers are not just accommodated ....... they are welcomed....

1. Not "punishing". Somebody has to pay for car park building.
2. When the UK becomes the same as the rest of Europe in terms of area, population density and historical development then motorhomers will, perhaps, be treated the same.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A motor caravan is by definition a Motor vehicle with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers.
A motor caravan it is entitled to use the public highway (which includes public parking areas) in the same manner as other vehicles of the same category, in other words it cannot be discriminated against except in situations where its weight might cause damage to the pavement.

What activity one engages in in ones vehicle is not a matter for any authority unless it is offensive to others. An example would be sexual activity with the blinds open :sick:
Any interference with any lawful activity within ones vehicle / home could be construed as an invasion of privacy and denial of rights.

Here in Ireland Galway City Council Planning Department had to rescind and order to Galway Harbour Company to cease providing overnight parking for motorhomes when it was pointed out that there exists no condition in the planning permission for the parking facility which forbids the parking of such vehicles overnight.

It was accepted that once no external activity associated with motorhome is carried in the parking space occupied by the motorhome there were no contravention of the planning permission for the parking area.
The legislation which governs parking and camping in Ireland is irrelevant to the UK, as is the legislation which governs parking and camping in any other EU country. Complaining that the UK should do something one way just because another country does it that way is pointless.

We have existing national legislation in this country which is perfectly adequate to cover both parking and camping (including camping in car parks where a genuine case can be made). The constructive course (and the only way forward) is to work within that legislation because it is highly unlikely that it will be changed just because a relatively few people complain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back