scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
That sounds a fair price let me know how you get on,ill try and find someone local ,many thanks.Scotty

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't trust myself not to bugger it up, so I'll not be doing it. The AV guy estimated 2 to 3 hours to fit at £40 per hour.
That is very cheap, has he done much work on Motorhomes as the hard bit is routing the cables through the van without doing any damage and keeping them out of site. I wouldn't entrust it to someone has little experience of working on Motorhomes.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well, he is an independent who does a lot of work for a certain well known MH dealer, installs audio, TV, satellite and reversing camera equipment for them, so I hope so. They apparently subcontract this type of work to the same guy instead of their workshop team doing it. Let's just say had I bought the Snipe through said dealer, their quote for the same installation worked out to be over £250 by comparison.

I don't really care if it takes him 2, 3 or 4+ hours to do the job on an hourly rate, as long as it is a proper job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
I put a query on the Beginner forum earlier today about the Snipe and its long term use. We wanted our local dealer (in Kent) to install one for us but his fitter won't as he doesn't reckon them. Says they break down frequently.
Has anyone here found that?

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Mine was delivered last Wednesday and is as yet unused in the box awaiting installation, hence I can't personally help with your question I'm afraid.

My Selfsat Snipe unit (exactly same as the Avtex Snipe) was bought from a UK based seller/shop on eBay, but delivered from a company in Germany. It came with the roof mounting plate and all parts to enable roof mounting of the unit.

I was also curious about reliability and common faults/breakdowns, but could find little when searching interweb via Google, most feedback so far seems quite positive. Some interesting threads on German forums, if the Google translate yields a reasonable version in English that is, those I read were again generally quite positive. But this does not mean there are not those who have had problems or other negative threads I have just not found/seen based on my search criteria (or lack of reading stamina).

That said, some dealers are not so positive about the Snipe when questioned, others more so. At the Peterborough show today I saw several dealers were continuing to sell the original Snipe, Pro and Pro Max variants.

I guess you pay your money and take your choice/chance (my purchase was preceded by a few glasses of wine :) ), I figured it was worth a punt at the low price, even if it then transpires to only work for 2 or 3 years.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Ive noticed that some have 2 yrs warrenty and some 1 yr is it the avtext =1 german one=2 ?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I purchased a Megasat Countryman Professional GPS from a dealer In Germany. It cost not much more than the UK Avtex Snipe standard but is equivalent to the Avtex Snipe Pro.

It comes with a 2 year return to base warranty (Dealer pays collection and re-delivery costs). What I did not like about the UK Avtex is that they do not offer a warranty if DIY Fitted.

The Megasat pros sell from around £500 - £900 on ebay bids.

I could have purchased an Oyster Vision low profile for around £1200 from Germany or £1700 UK. But after the mountain of trouble we had with our Oyster Vision II 85CM, I decided against the brand.

Trev

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I purchased a Megasat Countryman Professional GPS from a dealer In Germany. It cost not much more than the UK Avtex Snipe standard but is equivalent to the Avtex Snipe Pro.

It comes with a 2 year return to base warranty (Dealer pays collection and re-delivery costs). What I did not like about the UK Avtex is that they do not offer a warranty if DIY Fitted.

The Megasat pros sell from around £500 - £900 on ebay bids.

I could have purchased an Oyster Vision low profile for around £1200 from Germany or £1700 UK. But after the mountain of trouble we had with our Oyster Vision II 85CM, I decided against the brand.

Trev

Out of curiosity, did you previously list that unit for sale somewhere?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have the snipe, the pro didn't exist when we got ours.
The main advantage in the pro is the extra arms for better stability in wind etc.
Think I would have paid the extra given the chance.

Our snipe is now on it's way gto Avtex for repair, I think it may have got sand in the mechanism when we got caught in a sandstorm. They are now NOT recomending the basic Snipe as a fixed unit, maybe the Pro is better weather proofed, so If you want a fixed unit go for the Pro or look at the Pinpoint ( availiable either as a dish or flat panel) from Capital Outdoors, less than a grand, fitted at your house. wish I'd known 18 months ago.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Out of curiosity, did you previously list that unit for sale somewhere?

Yes, I put it on ebay and MHFacts. I bought when the prices were high and put it on eBay for 995 so as to cover the wopping 10% fees. I was hoping for an offer so we do a deal at around 800 cash. But no takers.

The only reason I wanted to sell was height issues with French tolls. We have the Blip-n-go Sanef tag and it will be a nightmare trying to sort out the class 3-2. The van is 2.99m high but the Avtex takes it way above the 3m limit.

But, it is on the van now and will be on test in Holland at the weekend.

Trev

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Slightly off topic but regarding Trev post with French tolls, we have a Dethleffs tag at 3.3meter high, the camera on the tolls class us as class 4 but a call on the toll intercom telling them we are a camper car is then reduced to class 2, we have also found this no problem at maned tolls and in one instance i told the attendant that we were a class 2 camper car and she replied " i can see for myself that's its a camper car"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What I did not like about the UK Avtex is that they do not offer a warranty if DIY Fitted.
They can't say that with any legal backing. When I had a fault on mine they asked who fitted it I said my dealer, they said you need to get them to remove it then send it back to us, I just said OK already had a word with them. I then got my ladder out and removed it, they sent a carrier to pick it up, new unit received by return.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As said earlier, mine transpired to be a Selfsat Snipe from Germany, ships with everything required to roof mount OOTB (base plate, fixings, cable gland etc), and no mention of having to be installed by a registered installer. Swings and roundabouts I suspect, as presumably I'll not be able to use Avtex as backup if it should fail, it will need to go back via the dealer from whence it came...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As said earlier, mine transpired to be a Selfsat Snipe from Germany, ships with everything required to roof mount OOTB (base plate, fixings, cable gland etc), and no mention of having to be installed by a registered installer. Swings and roundabouts I suspect, as presumably I'll not be able to use Avtex as backup if it should fail, it will need to go back via the dealer from whence it came...
I only brought in the UK because at the time they were about £300 dearer in Germany.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Slightly off topic but regarding Trev post with French tolls, we have a Dethleffs tag at 3.3meter high, the camera on the tolls class us as class 4 but a call on the toll intercom telling them we are a camper car is then reduced to class 2, we have also found this no problem at maned tolls and in one instance i told the attendant that we were a class 2 camper car and she replied " i can see for myself that's its a camper car"

Hi, Thank you.

With the exception of one manned booth in Lyon, we aways managed to get away with Class II in our previous two Class III motorhomes as tourist class. But with 20kph fast lanes and despite a reasonable command of the French language, it is a pain in the 4rse to at the booth and resolve post trip.

TM

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Well avtex rang me to say it would be about £250 + vat to repair the Snipe so I told them not to bother, just send it back. It's arrived back & from what I can see it's not even been opened up?
No point in throwing more money at it as they NOW say it's not designed for permanent mounting. We live & learn.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sorry to hear that, was yours out of warranty? Avtex attempting to position the original Snipe as not designed for roof mounting contradicts the original marketing material for said device. It also contradicts the Selfsat positioning of such on the continent, where the original Snipe is supplied with instructions, mounting base plate and other components to enable roof mounting. Would be interesting to see if Selfsat or Avtex have released any official materials/messaging to the contrary since the introduction of the Pro models, could they really then claim "not fit for purpose" thereafter?

It also contradicts "official Avtex Snipe Installers" who still quote for roof mounting the original Snipe?

That said, I can't help wondering if the original unit is less resilient than other satellite models, which is handy given mine is being fitted tomorrow. (n):eek:;)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well avtex rang me to say it would be about £250 + vat to repair the Snipe so I told them not to bother, just send it back. It's arrived back & from what I can see it's not even been opened up?
No point in throwing more money at it as they NOW say it's not designed for permanent mounting. We live & learn.
They don't repair them they replace them that's why it's not been touched. Am I right in assuming it was over 2 years old and out of warranty, as when I phoned them they asked for a copy of my invoice to confirm it was in warranty.
What is wrong with it?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
They don't repair them they replace them that's why it's not been touched. Am I right in assuming it was over 2 years old and out of warranty, as when I phoned them they asked for a copy of my invoice to confirm it was in warranty.
What is wrong with it?

There is a huge amount of "play" in the mechanism so it moves a lot in a slight breeze in use.
Also it no longer "skews", it fails to "lock on" even when there is a strong signal at the TV & quite often doesn't "park" in the right place either. As for not repairing them, they told me that they needed to replace the circuit board?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Perhaps they don't bother repairing if they are under warranty.
The play won't be anything to do with the circuit board might be worth having apart to see whats loose nothing to loose, not parking can just be failing to make contact with the switch on the base, got to be worth a go.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
When I read a few Google translated German or Dutch forums seeking info on Snipe, I think the parking issue was referred to there as a "known issue" in some of the earlier units (I *think* they referred to the parking switch/sensor). But I don't have the links and can't recall the forum names etc, so I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When I read a few Google translated German or Dutch forums seeking info on Snipe, I think the parking issue was referred to there as a "known issue" in some of the earlier units (I *think* they referred to the parking switch/sensor). But I don't have the links and can't recall the forum names etc, so I wouldn't take that as gospel.
That's what went wrong with mine, looked like it was an easy DIY fix, but I returned mine as it was under warranty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Out of interest, when did you purchase that unit and how long did it work for before that issue manifested?
Brought it last March, started playing up about late August. When the dish folded down it wasn't pressing on the switch hard enough & the motor keep running. A push up on the dish with a pole then it would fall back down on the switch a bit harder and it would turn off, well that's what I did until I had time to return it.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Well I got to the bottom of the play in the arm which seems to have solved the parking issue too
The arm is fastened to the shaft with four screws which were very loose, this was allowing the dish part to come down too far & catch on the base part , jamming it from moving to the parked position. Bit of threadloc & tightened screws seems to have cured that problem. Second pic is for anyone curious about what is inside the base part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well I got to the bottom of the play in the arm which seems to have solved the parking issue too
The arm is fastened to the shaft with four screws which were very loose, this was allowing the dish part to come down too far & catch on the base part , jamming it from moving to the parked position. Bit of threadloc & tightened screws seems to have cured that problem. Second pic is for anyone curious about what is inside the base part.

So it's working again, the skew too? If so, well done you, saving £250 in the process! :)

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
No, scew still not working & it still doesn't "lock on" but at least it parks properly & no longer waggles about in a breeze.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No, scew still not working & it still doesn't "lock on" but at least it parks properly & no longer waggles about in a breeze.
Worth investigating further with it wobbling about when driving could have been a fair bit of vibration transmitted to the electronics, could a loose connection or dry joint on the PCB. Failing that I am wondering if there is any way of doing an electronic reset or may be worth configuring a satellite on one of the user ports and see if that works.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Worth investigating further with it wobbling about when driving could have been a fair bit of vibration transmitted to the electronics, could a loose connection or dry joint on the PCB. Failing that I am wondering if there is any way of doing an electronic reset or may be worth configuring a satellite on one of the user ports and see if that works.
Thanks, but I'm not good with electronics, wouldn't know how.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The Snipe is now quite neatly installed on the van and working at the moment! :)

Now to see how long for... ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back